• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

185 lb Boar with DAC Sierra TMK 107 gr. Ammo

This is the 4th hog and 6th shot test of DAC's Sierra TMK 107 gr. ammo on hogs and I think I am starting to see a pretty typical pattern of performance through the shoulders of hogs, assuming the shot doesn't hit heavy bone (which I haven't managed to be able to hit so far). The shot enters the hog, expands rapid by the time it passes through the hide and makes its largest permanent wound channel between the hide and rib cage. Sometime after hitting the rib cage, the wound channel seems to taper down to a respectable, but not impressive finger-diameter permanent wound channel exiting the opposite side of the thoracic cavity, having enough energy to take out a rib or ribs on this side as well, but then failing to exit moderately large-sized hogs. Recovered bullets tend to have lost about half their weight or more and cup and core separation are not uncommon. In the case of this hog, all the fragments were found together. That is not always the case, however.

This hog was a little different. The bullet seemed to largely miss the cardio system. It was weird in that there was very little blood associated with the wound channel. The bullet should have passed by close to the heart and/or major blood vessels, but apparently severed none of them. As the hog rolled over to the entry side, the wound channel should have been filled with blood had major vessels been hit, but that was not the case. There wasn't a lot of blood when I was cutting the hog apart either, no spillage that often happens moving the hog around during cutting. There was some blood in the mouth and nose that apparently came from a damaged lung or lungs, but that appears to have been minor at best. I can't say that the hog died from blood loss or lung damage.

I hate to suggest the cause of death was hydrostatic shock as it is an unreliable process, but this might be one of those cases where it happened. Feel free to suggest what you think happened. The hog was DRT and I got the data on the bullet, so I am pleased in that regard, but somewhat perplexed.

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Anouther great vid as always DNS. Personally I would use that bullet more for headshots. If I was trying for a meat pig. If I was just out trying to knock out some boars and remove them from the breeding stock, I wouldn't have a problem dropping one of those rounds in his pumping station.

Granted my hog hunting is done at 100 are less yards. So the 107 might grenade more. But that would be ok with me as well.

Comment

• kmon
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2015

Brian, I think this might have been a lot like a buck I killed 20+ tars ago with very little blood but some in the nostrils and mouth. Upon field dressing him the lungs were in very bad shape even though only one was clipped a little on the top side and the bullet did pass through. The lungs on him were very bruised looking and the buck had dropped on the spot. I think he might have been hit when fully exhaled and the lungs much more dense than if they had been full of air.

Comment

• pacificpt
        Bloodstained
        • Apr 2019

Maybe the boar had been watching some of your earlier videos, and had in mind when you get shot you are supposed to die, so he did. Thank you for taking the time to post this, very interesting the lack of blood.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Are you going to keep using the 107 grain Tipped Match King DNS? If this bullet produced superior accuracy and you were shooting at greater distance during the day do you think the reduced velocity would still cause the bullet to shed so much weight/fragment? Comparing the construction of the 90 grain TNT to the 107 grain TMK do you think the polymer tip causes the bullet to expand/fragment which limit penetration? I tend to think the jacket construction, hardness of the lead core and polymer tip could contribute to how this TMK behaves. I think the design goal for a tipped match king bullet means the construction is optimized towards accuracy over any terminal performance.

I understand if you haven’t seen enough use to know, I’m just the curious type.

Comment

• sundowner
            Chieftain
            • Nov 2017

Another great video and info , thanks .

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
              Are you going to keep using the 107 grain Tipped Match King DNS? If this bullet produced superior accuracy and you were shooting at greater distance during the day do you think the reduced velocity would still cause the bullet to shed so much weight/fragment? Comparing the construction of the 90 grain TNT to the 107 grain TMK do you think the polymer tip causes the bullet to expand/fragment which limit penetration? I tend to think the jacket construction, hardness of the lead core and polymer tip could contribute to how this TMK behaves. I think the design goal for a tipped match king bullet means the construction is optimized towards accuracy over any terminal performance.

I understand if you haven’t seen enough use to know, I’m just the curious type.
              Sorry, but I have no idea why the TMK performs the way that it does.

Comment

• rickt300
                Warrior
                • Jan 2017

After watching the evidence mount I just can't see myself using that bullet much. Seems to open a bit too quick and a finger size wound channel seems small to me. I would prefer a couple inches of penetration and then a wider wound channel. That said I just don't like hunting in this heat so my testing is going to start as soon as it cools off a bit in September. On my new lease I have to deal with high grass and low Mesquite trees so I want a hole out the other side in the hopes of a blood trail but will make every effort for a CNS or head hit. Unless the TMK ammo is a lot cheaper than the Hornady SST factory load I would if I didn't reload use the latter round instead. With the information you have provided using the 90 gr. TNT it seems to me that bullet works better than the 107 gr. TMK on hogs also. It is strange how two thin jacketed bullets work so differently when they hit hog.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2013

And that is why I do the documentation. Not everyone wants the same thing out of a bullet and they can get a better idea of what it can do than just a qualitative verbal assessment.

Comment

• rickt300
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2017

I will say your bullet testing and discussion of bullet performance is second to none.

Comment

• GjGary
                      Bloodstained
                      • Mar 2018

Thank you for your documentation, always look forward to it.

Comment

Working...
                      X