• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Sow & Piglet with Nosler 140 gr. BTHP

Another hunt where things did not go as intended. That is sort of what makes them an adventure...I like to tell myself. Had lots of pics from the 100 yard feeder and no game camera on the close feeder, and naively expected the hogs to come in to the 100 yard feeder, first, anyway. Instead, they came in from the direction of where I had parked my truck and came to the close feeder. Expected 4 sows and piglets, but only 2 sows showed up. Expected them all before 10 pm (based on game cam images) and they showed just after 1:00 am. Based on the information from the game cam, HuntTXhogs (aka Pig Popper) showed up to help me resolve previous video issues (over exposure), but because he has a real job, he had to leave around 11:00 pm.

Managed to shoot one sow and one piglet and both ran. The piglet only made it a few yards into the poison ivy infested woods. The sow made it about 60 yards. However, getting her back out of the woods turned out to be an 80 yard downhill drag to my trail that leads to my hunting area...through the poison ivy infested woods. Fun fun fun!

I intentionally wanted a severely quartered shot to help assure bullet recovery, that after my hoped for twofer shot failed to manifest. I got the quartered away shot, but a little too severe and instead of impacting the lower/rearward rib cage, the shot hit about 3" farther back in the abdomen. Due to the intestinal muck, there are no entry pics.

The bullet traveled nicely through the body before being stopped by the rib cage around the 2nd or 3rd rib. The bullet did not hit any bone until that point and I figure it had all but expended its energy by then.

The shot on the piglet was low, a rushed shot, but double lunged it.

The Nosler 140 gr. BTHP seems to be performing reasonably well so far. The loading by Custom Reloads of Dallas in consistent and spot-on. I am enjoying shooting their ammo.

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • HuntTXhogs
    Warrior
    • Jan 2014

I’m surprised at the amount of bullet eruption at Grendel velocity.

Seems to be working pretty well , wish I could have been there when the action happened.

Maybe next time !

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Nother great vid DNS. I might have to try some of those 140's in my handloads for my howa.

Comment

• Growler
        Warrior
        • Jan 2019

Great video, as usual. I?m hoping you find a common 6.5 CM bullet that performs well in Grendel for hogs and other, more edible critters. I would expect good meat preserving performance on hogs would predict the same in deer.

I believe the problem with the lights is caused by their (internal) power supply. It produces a boosted (average) voltage that can maintain constant brightness over the battery discharge cycle by varying the on/off time of short pulses that are too fast to be detected by the human eye. This ripple in the voltage driving the LEDs causes ?beats? with the row/column scan rate of your camera. This effect is the same as what causes a spinning aircraft propeller photographed by a cell phone to appear wildly distorted. Unfortunately, I don?t have any practical advice to find a light with smoother output beyond trial and error.

Your hog anatomy and terminal ballistics demonstrations are excellent. I?ll gladly watch whether lit by Coleman lantern or flickering LEDs. Keep ?em coming!

Comment

• Bigs28
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2016

Love the videos. You just have to show off those bucks don't you.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
            Love the videos. You just have to show off those bucks don't you.
            I enjoy seeing them as well. At most, I usually only see 1-2 legal bucks on my place each year. I have a total of 5 this year, which is a shocker. While they are impressive, what really gets me going is seeing the new batch of fawns each summer.
            Kill a hog. Save the planet.
            My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

I suspect the lights are pulsating at a rate which you can not detect with your eye. Strobe lights have this effect on photography where you rarely can capture a strobe light illuminated. LED lights are less prone to this and florescent lights are difficult to use in photography. Florescent lights really screw with optical chronographs where the sky screen cannot detect the shadow of the bullet.

I think incandescent bulbs with normal filament work well with photography and video, kind of like the light source grandpa used to use while filming with a movie camera (kind where film had to be developed). My family used an 8 mm (IIRC) movie camera and watched home videos on a reel to reel projector. We used a rail with four bright incandescent bulbs which put off a lot of heat to clearly film indoors.
              Last edited by VASCAR2; 09-05-2019, 05:24 PM.

Comment

• CJW
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2019

Another very interesting video.

Thanks DNS.

Comment

• sundowner
                  Chieftain
                  • Nov 2017

Another great video and info , thanks DNS .

Comment

Working...
                  X