SST vs Gunner expansion test (not scientific)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • imaguy3
    Warrior
    • Mar 2018

SST vs Gunner expansion test (not scientific)

Got bored and decided to compare the two bullets at distance. I have used the gunner quite successfully on coyote within 100 yards, there's no question that the bullet does damage. I have also shot it into water jugs at 100 yards and the bullet showed explosive fragmentation at the time. I was curious though how it'd do at long range with a slower velocity.

Recently I started loading 123gr SST for an upcoming deer hunt. I also took the opportunity to disassemble all the Gunner I had, and make it more accurate using 8208 powder. I lucked out and actually have the Gunner load shooting with the same velocity, and trajectory out to 500 yards. Literally today, at 477 yards, I dialed 12moa and was hitting same POI with both loads.

First I tested the SST, my distance was 477 yards. According to strelok my velocity is about 1611fps, so this is the bottom end of Hornady's recommended velocity for expansion. I filled a 5 gallon bucket with water, slapped a lid on it and placed it on it's side. I then put a sandbag behind it just in case. The bullet completely penetrated the bucket from end to end and came to rest just inside the cover of the sand bag, with pretty expansion.

Because I destroyed the bucket I then laid out two one gallon milk jugs with a sand bag backer for the Gunner bullet. The gunner bullet exited the first milk jug sideways and penetrated the 2nd milk jug sideways (see pic of jug below). It then penetrated about halfway into the sandbag.

Lots of people swear by match bullets for hunting. Personally, for anything bigger than coyote, I prefer one designed to expand b/c the match bullet just may not. In this it tumbled immediately, entering the sandbag backwards. I am not sure, but I don't think the back end would have bent/broke as much if it wasn't for the sand. Would the tumbling have killed an animal, sure if it went through the vitals, anything will kill if it gets through the vitals...

Either way here are some pics.

Gunner pics:

• imaguy3
    Warrior
    • Mar 2018

Gunner, 2nd milk jug entry:

SST pics:

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

Cool report. Thanks!
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

You put the jugs at 477yds?
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Gusmeister
          Warrior
          • May 2017

Nice report. Good pics!

Thank you

Comment

• imaguy3
            Warrior
            • Mar 2018

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            You put the jugs at 477yds?
            We all know the SST bullet works well at close/moderate ranges. I wanted to see how it would perform at the bottom of it's velocity threshold and evaluate the max distance I can use the gun with the SST bullet reliably expanding. I built the gun with the intention of using it on coues deer, out here shots can easily be over 500 yards b/c of terrain. Last yr was a perfect example, I stalked in to 300 yards but had no shot b/c of terrain. I actually had to back up to 495 before terrain and vegetation was no longer an issue.

At this particular spot I was shooting I set the jugs up, drove as far as I could and setup, which happened to be 477 yards. (sorry this is so small.. click on it, it's where I was)

477 yards.PNG

Here's a pic. from when I shot the gunner into water at 100 yards last year, I wanted to see how they did further as well...

Last edited by imaguy3; 10-09-2019, 01:25 AM.

Comment

• Goochylogic
              Warrior
              • Sep 2016

Thanks for the report. Very interesting with your results with the AG ammo. All of my experiences with the AG ammo has been within 150yrds or so. At that range with deer I haven't seen enough difference with the recovered bullets to tell which was an AG or an SST. They both had jacket separation and flattened lead cores. Just wondering if you sacrificed another 5 gal bucket with the AG bullet what the results would show. Thanks again

Comment

• Drillboss
                Warrior
                • Jan 2015

I can't call my data scientific either, but I've seen very satisfactory results on live game with the SST from about 50 yds out to about 330 yds. Impressive internal disruption and an exit in all cases.

Comment

• sundowner
                  Chieftain
                  • Nov 2017

Good report , thanks for the info .

Comment

• roo_ster
                    Bloodstained
                    • Nov 2016

That SST is promising given that it looks like it is expanding usefully at a smidge above 1600fps.
                    Regards,

roo_ster

"Drive Nature out with a pitchfork, she'll come right back, Victorious over your ignorant confident scorn."
                    ----Horace

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by roo_ster View Post
                      That SST is promising given that it looks like it is expanding usefully at a smidge above 1600fps.
                      In water, yes. In ballistics gel or on animals? Maybe not.

Hornady does long distance testing on their hunting bullets with calibrated gel, so it's a good idea to use their numbers.

I've talked with their ballistics engineers that do terminal ballistics testing, and they have actually done extensive testing, and continue to do so with their product lines. The other big name companies do the same thing for the most part, just in different ways depending on the bullet and target market.
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• dsmless
                        Bloodstained
                        • Nov 2018

Great feedback, I was wondering how AG and SST would work on anything other than varmints or metal gongs out at farther than 350yds. I have often thought about dragging out a bunch of wet newspaper or old soaked phone books to shoot into. Not likely gonna happen this year as Hunting seasons opening soon.

Comment

• oyster
                          Warrior
                          • Jul 2018

I used a lot of AG this past year for depredation work on deer and hogs. From about 25yrds out to 300 yrds it seemed to do the job. It will definitely open up pretty quick and make a mess on the inside.

Comment

• imaguy3
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2018

Hornady said it's good down to 1600... I just wanted to see... Water or gel doesn't really seem to matter... 20191017_174541.jpg

Comment

Working...
                            X