• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xlcc
    Warrior
    • Feb 2016

Rattled in a buck

DSCF4588 - Edited.jpgDSCF4588 - Edited.jpgI had an interesting hunt this morning.Just at daylight I walked into a logging block that had lots of birch and poplar left standing.As I approached an old landing there was lots of deer tracks in yesterdays fresh snow of about 3".Thinking this was going to be good,nice and still,about -11C.Trying to be quiet was hard to do as the crunching when stepping around was noisy.I found a nice spot to to try and rattle a buck in up on a mound by some deadfall.Stayed there for an hour,nothing.Went to another area on the same block where it is much more open to do some glassing.Again nothing so back down the hill to another spot to rattle some more.While watching for any movement I saw another mound that would give me a different view about 200 yards away.Slowly walked over to the new spot carefully looking around then I see this heavy 5 pointer siffting his way through the trees like he has a plan where he is going.I can't get a decent shot.He is probably over 200 yards and moving quickly.He disappears behind another mound so I get ready to shoot when he reappears except he deeks me out.Seems I'm kneeled down to shoot in case I get a shot I try a couple of grunts and rattle my antlers a few times hoping he'll change his mind and come and investigate.Mmmm,nothing happening so I slowly stand up and turn around and see another buck come running down this old skid trail towards me.I give a little grunt on the tube in my mouth and he stops directly behind this big fir tree.I quickly kneel down for a shot.He is only about 80 yards from me with this big fir tree between us.I'm thinking this young 3 point is better than no 5 pointer and he will be mine as soon as he takes one step.Sure enough he takes a step forward to see where this buck fight and grunting is and I have a perfect shot.Blam,he's down.
    I just love trying to call deer and speak their language.This Howa HB connects again with a Hornady 123 SST going 2625FPS.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Congrats sir.

Comment

• CJW
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2019

Great post xlcc

Comment

• Arkhangel5
        Warrior