• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ported45
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

Daughter's first deer & it was with the Grendel

Saturday, 11-16-2019 @ 5:08pm.

42 yard shot facing head on, down after a 40 yard dash.

Ruger Predator shooting 129 ABLR @ 2365 fps muzzle velocity. Recovered bullet weighed 96.2 grains.

Recovered bullet in the belly meat after completely wrecking the doe's internals. Took out a 6" section of the ribs on the entry, nicked the heart, & continued to make a mess from there on back. Weird thing is that the doe's right leg was also broken without the bullet leaving the chest cavity. No bullet damage of the shoulder meat at all. Guessing that it had to be the hydrodynamic shock and expansion of the chest cavity that broke the humerous. I have no other explanation for it. It was not broken before the shot and the doe never put that leg down on her deathrun, so it was not broken during her run.

Abbie can't wait to get back into the woods to try for a buck! Going tomorrow as a matter of fact. I am one proud Papa!! May this be the first of many.
    Attached Files
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Congrats to y'all on some good eatin.

Comment

• Goochylogic
      Warrior
      • Sep 2016

The memories are worth million dollars even if you could put a price tag on them. Congratulations

Comment

• MarkS
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2018

Congrats to her on her first deer!

I love those Ruger American rifles. I have one in 6.5 Creedmoor and one in 300BLK.

Comment

• 1Shot
          Warrior
          • Feb 2018

ported45 I shot a doe last year in the center of the chest as she faced me head on at 111 yards with my Grendel using a 120 Speer Gold Dot at 2550 fps. Even though there was no evidence of any bullet fragmentation this doe had a broken left scapula making the leg just flap and two ribs on one side and three on the other side were broken and the heart and lungs looked like they had been in a blender and the bullet exited the belly with a thumb size hole after around 20" of penetration. My conclusion for the broken leg and ribs is hydrostatic shock.

Comment

• ported45
            Warrior
            • Feb 2018

I took the ribs out whole for smoking, so I may eventually discover broken ribs as well. Really figured there probably were if the humerus was broken without bullet contact.

Comment

• sundowner
              Chieftain
              • Nov 2017

Congrats to your daughter's doe .

Comment

• Trashy
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2017

She looks mighty happy, happy, happy! Congrats on the great memory and good eating!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Congrats on a great shot! Interesting about the sympathetic bone damage away from what we would normally call the permanent wound path.

Broken humorous seems pretty permanent to me.

There were some reports like this when the 5.56x45 AR15 was first field-tested with ARVN Ranger units in Vietnam, with US advisors in-trail to witness and record the data.

Recovered bodies of enemy combatants showed broken bones near soft tissue wounds, even though the bones were not struck by the projectiles.

There are some photos of a guy in the Philippines that was shot in the leg, hitting only muscle tissue, and his femur was snapped in half with lots of blood flow.
                  NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Carlson
                    Unwashed
                    • Aug 2019

Good girl, and Congratulations!
                    Rifle Scopes, Parts & Accessories For AR 15 AK 47 Glock S&W

More info: https://www.hancockarmory.com/

Comment

• Bayouhunter1960
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jan 2019

Congratulations to you and your Daughter. I’ve was fortunate enough to be with my daughter when she shot her first deer and with two grandsons when they bagged their first deer. It’s a great satisfaction in assisting a daughter, son, or grandchild in getting their first deer. Congratulation again and hope she gets that buck.

Comment

Working...
                      X