• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Now Hunting with Speer Gold Dot 120 gr. Ammo from CRD

Finally, I have a property with some hogs on it and not just singles. This is my neighbor's place and it is only 35 acres and they have torn him up pretty well. Despite a mass of acorns on the ground, they are rooting. They may be eating acorns and that would not be a huge problem, but the rooting is. My guess is that they are after grubs and other bugs as they are targeting the hay and hay rings areas pretty heavily, but they are sampling all over the property.

Ben and I made it out on Saturday after I sighted in new ammo from Custom Reloads of Dallas. I decided to run with the Speer Gold Dot 120s as they required the least correction from my previous zero point. Ben opted for .22 Nosler that screams 55 gr. bullets at 3575 fps. Hogs came out, we both shot and appeared to hit our targets and our targets promptly turned into a wood thicket and we never saw them again despite two separate searches for them that night.

I figured the sounder would not be back the following night. So I returned on Monday. I did not see the sounder Ben and I hit. I saw a much larger sounder and dropped two before the rains really let loose.

Sorry for the video glitch. Not sure what has happened. It appears to have occurred on recoil of the 2nd shot. If so, there could be several problems, one of which may be that my recorder is dying (most expensive problem). We buy these recorders and put them on our rifles, but they are not recoil rated or tested by the manufacturer for this sort of abuse. With several thousand rounds fired on mine, it may be succumbing. I will have to do some test with it and in the mean time, replace the SD card and check the cables.

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • Lemonaid
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

Another satisfied customer! Great vid and thanks for the real world data.
    Somewhat dismayed at the damage hogs will do.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Great vid as always sir.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

Yeah, the damage was virtually everywhere on the property, like they were sampling the soil here and there, snacking a few places, and going for a full meal in others.

Comment

• CJW
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2019

Very interesting video, hope you hunt with the 120’s for a couple of weeks....

Chuck

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

DNS, what do you figure those 120's are going, MV-wise from your xx inch barrel? I'm sure a lot of folks would be interested in that info if you care to share.
            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
              Warrior
              • Jan 2014

Gray fox he posted that data in the video

Approx

2518 FPS out of an 18” barrel

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                Administrator
                • Feb 2011

Good stuff. Love these real-world tests.
                :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

Originally posted by HuntTXhogs View Post
                  Gray fox he posted that data in the video

Approx
                  2518 FPS out of an 18” barrel
                  Cool. thanks. I'm typically "video-challenged" on this laptop.....
                  "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Goochylogic
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2016

Thanks for posting the video.

Comment

• meatsweats
                      Warrior
                      • Aug 2018

Following as well. Be very interested in your results. That?s pretty quick with a 18 inch tube.
                      MS

Comment

• gwtx
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2019

They tore up a place on my property like that a couple years ago. Couldn't figure out what they were after. It was like they were mad because the acorns were pretty much all gone. When I saw the video, I had to grab my rifle and go out to see if I could find some to shoot. Thanks for the videos, they are addictive. I'm looking forward to the next one, and more results on the GD120's. I have some that I want to load soon. Keep on keeping on.
                        When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                          Chieftain
                          • Sep 2013

gwtx, while they love truffles, what they are mostly after when they are rooting tends to be grubs/worms and such in most forested areas, but may be after any sort of buried foods in more open spaces including wild onions and the like. In east Texas, a buddy of mine says they are after the hercules beetle larvae that look like grubs the size of your thumb.

I have about 40 more rounds of the GD 120s loaded. I am real happy with how it is shooting and it zeroed great, so hopefully I will get more critters down with it. I am curious as to what it will do on coyotes.

Comment

• sundowner
                            Chieftain
                            • Nov 2017

Great video , thanks for the info .

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                              Chieftain
                              • Sep 2013

Two more hogs. Could have been three but #3 decided to get up and leave after playing possum for a bit. I was disappointed with that development. Seeing a bullet bounce off a hog was a new one for me. Of course, it went through another hog, first.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 12-13-2019, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X