• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kev500
    Bloodstained
    • May 2018

best penetrating bullet

Wondering what is the best penetrating hunting round, one that still gets some expansion, but maybe not much, I know Barns are good, but need a higher fps for expansion. I am looking for more penetration then expansion and have a 12.5 inch barrel so cannot get a lot of fps
  • CJW
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2019

My 18 inch 8 twist really shoots Nosler Partitions lights out.

The 100 grainers. Over the years,with all of the many high tech bullets being offered, this bullet has really fallen out of favor. It is still an epic choice for bullets.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

129 ablr is going to be the top dog in this list. No matter how you slice it.

Next up would be the 127 LRX by barnes.

Both of these bullets have lower expansion limits. But nothing can beat the 129 ablr.

Comment

• kev500
        Bloodstained
        • May 2018

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
        129 ablr is going to be the top dog in this list. No matter how you slice it.

Next up would be the 127 LRX by barnes.

Both of these bullets have lower expansion limits. But nothing can beat the 129 ablr.
        On the 129 ABLR I have not seen any penetrating test done with 6.5 grendel , would like to see a test showing how deep it would go

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by kev500 View Post
          On the 129 ABLR I have not seen any penetrating test done with 6.5 grendel , would like to see a test showing how deep it would go
          It will go all the way through a hog are deer of that you can be sure.

I belive DNS has some night hunting vids with the 129 ablr. Might be wrong but I belive he does.

It's a bonded 129 grain bullet with a 1300 fps expansion limit. It's going to punch throw no problem.

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Wondering what is the best penetrating hunting round, one that still gets some expansion, but maybe not much, I know Barns are good, but need a higher fps for expansion. I am looking for more penetration then expansion and have a 12.5 inch barrel so cannot get a lot of fps
            K5:

What do you want it to penetrate and how much?

LR55

Comment

• tomc
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2016

I got 100 rounds of the 129 ABLR ammo for max penetration on whitetail deer. It was over $2 each but I have high hopes for it's performance.

Comment

• Bigs28
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2016

If you only use them for load development and killing deer then they should last you along time. especially if you hunt like me and only get a deer about once every 5 years . No problem finding hogs though.

Comment

• kbarnes12
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2011

I shoot the Barnes 100gr TTSX out of a 20" barrel and have had no problem with expansion and getting complete pass throughs on both the deer I have shot with them.
                  sigpic
                  Guns kill people the same way forks make people fat.

Comment

• kev500
                    Bloodstained
                    • May 2018

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                    K5:

What do you want it to penetrate and how much?

LR55
                    I like to get penetration more so then expansion, entries and exit are something I prefer . That is one reason I always like NP bullets

Comment

• FLshooter
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2019

For varmint hunting,I like the 90gn speer TNT.I’d use the 129gn Hornady SST for deer.

Comment

• MarkS
                        Bloodstained
                        • Dec 2018

Originally posted by kbarnes12 View Post
                        I shoot the Barnes 100gr TTSX out of a 20" barrel and have had no problem with expansion and getting complete pass throughs on both the deer I have shot with them.
                        I get the same results through my 12.5" barrel. Decent expansion, and complete pass-through every time.

Comment

• ricsmall
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2014

100 TTSX. Through and through on every animal I?ve shot. Great expansion out to 200 yards should be doable out of a 12? Grendel. I shot one doe several years back when sneaky one and myself were ?testing? several bullet weights and brands. Doe facing me, shot in chest and bullet exited rear. I?m guessing 30?+ penetration. I think the lightest I shot was a 76 grain gmx. Those pills are a little harder, but a mono in the 85grain range at grendel velocities would probably be ideal for 150 yds and in. I?d go with the 100 grain if wanting longer ranges than that. Wish I still had time to do some of these tests.

OTOH, I?ve had recent success with the 107 TMK on deer and hogs. These were precisely placed shots for penetration testing and all were successful in taking the intended animal with the longest run being 80 yds. But for reliable expansion/penetration, go with the 100 TTSX or some of the maker bullets.
                          Last edited by ricsmall; 12-20-2019, 03:56 AM.
                          Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• kev500
                            Bloodstained
                            • May 2018

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
                            100 TTSX. Through and through on every animal I?ve shot. Great expansion out to 200 yards should be doable out of a 12? Grendel. I shot one doe several years back when sneaky one and myself were ?testing? several bullet weights and brands. Doe facing me, shot in chest and bullet exited rear. I?m guessing 30?+ penetration. I think the lightest I shot was a 76 grain gmx. Those pills are a little harder, but a mono in the 85grain range at grendel velocities would probably be ideal for 150 yds and in. I?d go with the 100 grain if wanting longer ranges than that. Wish I still had time to do some of these tests.

OTOH, I?ve had recent success with the 107 TMK on deer and hogs. These were precisely placed shots for penetration testing and all were successful in taking the intended animal with the longest run being 80 yds. But for reliable expansion/penetration, go with the 100 TTSX or some of the maker bullets.
                            I will look at the 100 grain TTSX , just did not think I could get enough fps out of my 12.5 , what is min expansion fps , thank for input

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2015

I will look at the 100 grain TTSX , just did not think I could get enough fps out of my 12.5 , what is min expansion fps , thank for input
                              1900 to 2000 fps min on that bullet.

You could contact the owner of Maker bullets and see if he will cut you some 100 grain tipped Trex bullets.

That will keep your speed up plus have a much lower min expansion limit compared to the ttsx ammo.

Comment

Working...
                              X