• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

NWLA Beatdown

So got up at 5am this morning with a plan to go make a quick bow hunt on my favorite wma and then go hit the range and put my cz grendel on paper and do some load work ups with 6.5 staball powder.

Well best laid plans of mice and men happened.

Woke up to rain falling, so no bow hunting for me today and no range time either, so back to bed I went.

Go t back up at 6:30ish and got to drinking my coffee and looking at the weather. By this time the rain had slowed to a off and on drizzle. So about 7ish I decided I'm going to grab my gear and go hit my pop up blind on 5 1/2 acres me and my dad have permission to hunt.

Same place I killed my first doe this season and the 2 button bucks from last season at.

I'm just about to park when I notice 3 deer slipping off the ridge where the corn and blind is at. So I park and slip in quietly and check things out. Sure enough I find fresh tracks and fresh sign of deer eating what was leavt of the corn (pigs had came visit during the night). So I call my dad and tell him to bring a bucket of corn and rice brand mix.

I jump in the blind and get settled and about 30 mints later he shows up with the feed. I get out the blind and get to laying out the feed making sure I make plenty of noise.

I tell my dad what I had seen and why I was making so much noise and asked him to make noise as he leavt. That way the deer would forget about me and think all was safe.

I hadn't lost the sound of my dad's diesel engine when a nice doe comes off a pine ridge bedding area behind and to my left. Basically between me and the road. She starts working downwind while watching the feed area. Checking to make sure it was safe.

She finally stopped nearly perfectly broadside, rangefinder said 84 or 87 yards. Not sure what range was correct because it keep bunching back and forth. Might have been catching a branch with the laser.

I centered my crosshairs on her high lungs and sent a 120 fusion down range. Bullet hit perfect point of aim and she went straight down, no kicking, just dead.

Bullet worked as expected no expansion on hide or flesh on the entrance side but contact with rib started it expanding. Exit side the bullet leavt a 1 to 1 1/4 inch exit wound.

This is the 3rd deer in 2 years with the fusion bullet and it never fails too impress.

DNS has the pics and is going to try and upload them for me.

Weapon used is my 16 inch ar grendel built on lwrci six8 recivers and ammo was 120 federal fusion run from a 10 round six8 pmag.
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Images...

A5Blaster2.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 12-21-2019, 07:43 PM.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2013

Good shooting!

Sorry, I am not getting the pics to behave quite right, but there they are!

Comment

• Bigs28
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2016

Congrats

Comment

• CJW
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2019

Way to go A5B!!!!!!

Great story.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
            Good shooting!

Sorry, I am not getting the pics to behave quite right, but there they are!
            Hey no problem you did better then I could have.

It was nice to meet y'all yesterday. And tell your better half that fudge was sssssssoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good.

I had just finished eating a peice when I shot this doe.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Replying the shot in my minds eye and what I seen while cleaning her. I hate to say this mainly because I don't believe in such things but. I belive I seen some results of the dreaded and much argued hydrostatic shock wave.

Her spine was broken and the bullet never touched it while traveling through the body.

Comment

• kmon
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2015

Good shot and some more great eating, well might not be as good as the FUDGE.

I had one dear years ago that I shot with the 44 mag that had a broke back though the only bone hit was a rib, Not sureif enough energy transfered through the rib to break the back or something else, always wondered about that though

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

Getting prep'd up to do some tutoring in High school physics... what d'ya know it's all about force, mechanics, etc.
                  The hydro shock is a real phenomenon but tends to get over-hyped. With a short distance, good remaining velocity and relatively blunt nose (as the fusion bullet) vice sharp pointed one or fmj, there definitely can be a knietic energy shock transfer from bullet to body. Decent article I read a short while ago said most bullets need to be going at least 2400 ft/sec in that writer's opinion. I think it has to do more with the relative amount of KE transferred and if done to the CNS... which your high-lung shot at 80 +/- yds would do to the spine. Think of what a 1000 ft-lb force from a 2x4 at that location would do... heck even 750 up near the spine. SMACK!!!
                  "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                    Getting prep'd up to do some tutoring in High school physics... what d'ya know it's all about force, mechanics, etc.
                    The hydro shock is a real phenomenon but tends to get over-hyped. With a short distance, good remaining velocity and relatively blunt nose (as the fusion bullet) vice sharp pointed one or fmj, there definitely can be a knietic energy shock transfer from bullet to body. Decent article I read a short while ago said most bullets need to be going at least 2400 ft/sec in that writer's opinion. I think it has to do more with the relative amount of KE transferred and if done to the CNS... which your high-lung shot at 80 +/- yds would do to the spine. Think of what a 1000 ft-lb force from a 2x4 at that location would do... heck even 750 up near the spine. SMACK!!!
                    Well said. If I had to put a number on the velocity at impact it would be close too 2300 fps.

Surprisingly when I ran the fusion ammo over the magneto speed this summer it was slower then advertised.

Federal says 2500 fps avreage from a 16 inch barrel. My AA barrel was just barely over 2400 fps at the muzzle.

Still found it interesting to see that happen. I'm not a vital zone shooter for sure but figured it would be a good chance to see what it would do at a longer range then last year's deer.

If I get anouther chance this year to get a shot like this again I will take it just to compare it but after that I'm going to start shooting the high shoulder again with this bullet and then try a diffrent bullet on a few vital zone shots.

Lil testing never hurts.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by kmon View Post
                      Good shot and some more great eating, well might not be as good as the FUDGE.

I had one dear years ago that I shot with the 44 mag that had a broke back though the only bone hit was a rib, Not sureif enough energy transfered through the rib to break the back or something else, always wondered about that though
                      That fudge is simple amazing. It's a good thing I had just finished my last bite of it are I may have let the deer walk.

Comment

• kmon
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                        Well said. If I had to put a number on the velocity at impact it would be close too 2300 fps.

Surprisingly when I ran the fusion ammo over the magneto speed this summer it was slower then advertised.

Federal says 2500 fps avreage from a 16 inch barrel. My AA barrel was just barely over 2400 fps at the muzzle.

Still found it interesting to see that happen. I'm not a vital zone shooter for sure but figured it would be a good chance to see what it would do at a longer range then last year's deer.

If I get anouther chance this year to get a shot like this again I will take it just to compare it but after that I'm going to start shooting the high shoulder again with this bullet and then try a diffrent bullet on a few vital zone shots.

Lil testing never hurts.
                        Something I have seen a few times over the years is if you shoot an animal in the lungs that has exhaled you often get a lights out DRT result and the lungs and sometimes heart are basically liquid Shoot a similar sized animal that has lungs full of air in the same location and have a hole through the lungs and they run a ways. I have been able to do this on a few occasions and watch it on a few other ones. When the lungs are not full of ait they are much more "liquid" than if they are full of air. Lung sacks full of ait do not transmit energy as readily as ones devoid of most of the ait and are thus more dense.

Watched a bull elk that was shot right at the end of his bugle and he was DRT from a double lung hit from a 257 WBY 110gr accubond 287 yards from the shooter. Lungs were liquid. I shot an elk similar placement at 110 yards with a 7mm STW 160gr partition that went about 70 yards after the shot and there was about a 1.5 inch hole through the lungs. Does make you think about hydrostatic shock.

Comment

• grayfox
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2017

Interesting take and good twist. Food (LOL!) for thought! thanks.

edit to add: A5 I estimated your bullet at 2300 myself.
                          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• sundowner
                            Chieftain
                            • Nov 2017

Great story , congrats on the doe .

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                              Chieftain
                              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                              Hey no problem you did better then I could have.

It was nice to meet y'all yesterday. And tell your better half that fudge was sssssssoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good.

I had just finished eating a peice when I shot this doe.
                              We had been calling that "healing fudge" because we have given it to several hospitalized or convalescing people who claimed miraculous healing after eating a "healthy" portion of it. Now, we will call it "lucky fudge" as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X