Looking for a good accurate bullet to shoot deer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CJW
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2019

Bluesgunner you have a half minute load at 150......You are set for life
    Shoot that load at everything, paper , steel and warm bloods.

99% of the kill is shot placement, not so much the bullet.......

With proper shot placement , a 107 SMK is devastating round, 123SST much tougher bullet.

Comment

• BLUESGUNNER
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2019

Originally posted by CJW View Post
      Bluesgunner you have a half minute load at 150......You are set for life
      Shoot that load at everything, paper , steel and warm bloods.

99% of the kill is shot placement, not so much the bullet.......

With proper shot placement , a 107 SMK is devastating round, 123SST much tougher bullet.
      Beginning to look like I should just keep this bullet and quit testing. I ended up at .010 off the lands with 25.8 gr of Ramshot TAC. 1.729 CBTO and 2.316 COAL. I have a problem with .005-.008 runout with the bullets as they are seated so far out but my Howa just keeps shooting them ok. If I run factory ammo, my groupings stretch out to 3-4" at 150 yards.

Comment

• FLshooter
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2019

If you are actually getting the 1/2 inch groups at 150yrds w/123 gn Hornady SST bullets,you should go with it.Hornady SST is a great hunting bullet.

Comment

• RobertFL
          Warrior
          • Feb 2018

The 123 SSTs also group best from my Faxon barrel, nickel size groups at 100 yards. I'm using maker trex 85 grain copper bullets right now..

Comment

• CJW
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2019

RobertFL,
            How are the 85 TRex?s shooting?????
            I?ve tried them twice and can?t shoot better than a 8 or 9 minute group.....
            I?m just about ready to give up.

What is your recipe???

Comment

• RobertFL
              Warrior
              • Feb 2018

I do not reload. I recently bought factory loaded Ammo from Maker. At 100 yards I am getting a 3 inch vertical group, I may try their 110s next and see how they shoot in my rifle. Last week The SSTs shot nickel sized groups, Hornady American Gunner 1 inch groups, Federal 120 Fusion 1 1/2 inch groups and the Makers are the only ones to "string" vertically. Most of my hog hunting shots are around 20 yards so the SSTs, Fusions and Makers will be able to make head shots, Not going to hunt with the Gunners. I would have no problem with 100 yard shots with the Makers, In the last 5 years I have not shot a hog further than 60 yards. I shot a few rounds again today at 100 yards, results were the same as last week for the SSTs, Fusions and Makers.

Comment

• imaguy3
                Warrior
                • Mar 2018

Originally posted by RobertFL View Post
                Not going to hunt with the Gunners..
                just curious, if you're hunting close where velocity isn't an issue, why not?

Comment

• RobertFL
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2018

I can not always get a head shot. I was thinking the Gunners are more of a target bullet and may not expand properly when shot into body or shoulder. We have lots of swamp and wet lands, not fun trailing into the water where the gators are..

Comment

• imaguy3
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2018

I have a 16" and get right at 2300fps with gunner bullets in my handloads... these are my experiences with gunner. My experience, up close where velocity is good they perform well. I wouldn't use them past a couple hundred yards though personally, unless your MV are much higher than mine.

some pics from when I shot at milk jugs at 100 yards

first jug

second jug blown to the side

third jug and all I found

results on animals, some with good exit pics

Had an hour this morning and setup a stand. Big dog came trotting in and I hit it head on about 75 yards. The little pup then came trotting across from my left at about 50 yards, smoked him. I was using American Gunner again. I love this bullet for predators but I am going to stand by Hornady's recommendation of not good for

Got me another dog with American Gunner today. Unfortunately this isn't how I like to do them. On my way out to do some long range practice I saw this dog on the side of the trail dragging it's back half and suffering. It let me walk right up on it, based on how the rear leg looks I figure it got hit by a car and probably broke

With the full moon lately, and it setting right at sunrise, I was able to get out and take advantage of it this morning. I took the landscape pics before turning on the call just b/c I thought the moon was nice... ended up working out b/c I can show you where the dog was now. About 5 minutes into baby cottontail I saw the dog

Got bored and decided to compare the two bullets at distance. I have used the gunner quite successfully on coyote within 100 yards, there's no question that the bullet does damage. I have also shot it into water jugs at 100 yards and the bullet showed explosive fragmentation at the time. I was curious though how it'd do at long

Comment

• FloorPoor
                      Bloodstained
                      • Feb 2020

SST is a great hunting bullet.

Comment

Working...
                      X