Last Speer Gold Dot Hog Video and it is a good one.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
    Congrats again. Is there a way we can support you somehow?

I'd like to contribute to your gas money, ammo, cameras, time, etc.

Happy New Year!
    Happy New Year!

Apparently, I just need a security detail to watch my truck while I am hunting. ;-)

Thanks, some day I will set up a Patreon account, maybe. I enjoy what I do. If people paid me, I would feel obligated to deliver. That would take some of the fun out of it.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• gwtx
      Warrior
      • Feb 2019

That was another grrrreat video. I think your narration is part of what makes your videos great. I got excited watching this one, and I'm "fixin" to get dressed and go out and check the pastures. Thanks again, hope you have a fun and prosperous new year.
      When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.

Comment

• lazyengineer
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2019

Question for you - is the scope compensating for distance? The 100 yard shoot looks to be a dead-hold shot, and a nice headshot. Later, in the 300 yard shot, it looks like you weren't really holding over very much if at all, yet also connecting. I'd guess one would need at least a little hold-over at 300 with a 100 yard zero like that, but maybe not?
        4x P100

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

No holdover compensation. I do have a 100 yard zero. The 275 yard shot was spot on where it should be given my hold. The 295 yard shot was goofy. It may have skipped off the dirt. Both hit low on the body, the first shot breaking the humerus before going in the chest and then exiting the other side where it injured the opposite leg. The second shot was farther back several inches, in and out.

Comment

• RobertFL
            Warrior
            • Feb 2018

Another excellent video! Could be the guy is a neighbor or friend of land owner. He left the flagging to let you know he was there..if you were a trespasser then that was your warning.. OR maybe he is the poacher and you were in one of his spots... We have hogs on our Hunt Club and shoot them when we can... No open fields, houses or cattle at our club just planted pines and wet lands...Thanks again for the videos!

Comment

• xlcc
              Warrior
              • Feb 2016

Nice shooting,those TNT,s are amazing.

Comment

• lazyengineer
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2019

Another question - you seem able to cover a lot of ground on foot, and yet hold the rifle quite steady on your shots. And indicated there's a cart. At some point, I'd love to see a side-shot of how you traverse the grounds? I.e. what type of boots, backpack, cart(?), etc. A picture taken of you from a friend as you are walking from one point to the next, would be interesting; just to see what practices and equipment you like to do that with.

Also, are you using a shooting stick of some sort? And if so, which one?

Your video's are amazing, and your talent at this is impressive to point of professional. The way you can drop hogs on the run at any distance like that, is just amazing. Tracking a running hot, holding the gun steady while tracking it like that, and leading it correctly and dropping it, is just impressive as heck to watch!

On another note, those TNT's kill everything so amazingly well, I wonder why you even bother with other ammo - though I'm glad you do, for the research purposes. If I had one request (not that you're taking any), I'd love to see you deploy with an SBR or one of the modern pistols, to see effectiveness with the shorter 12" Barrel options that are becoming popular. I'd be curious to see if your kill effectiveness would be affected by that.
                Last edited by lazyengineer; 01-02-2020, 03:34 PM.
                4x P100

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2013

lazyengineer, I do often cover quite a bit of ground on foot. I will scan as much as I can from the comfort of the front seat of my truck, but there are many properties where foot access is either required or necessary. I can tell you from seeing myself in previous videos, with all my winter gear on and carrying my rifle and shooting sticks, I look like a giant Ewok when crossing the fields. At 6:03 in this video is a good version of what I look like in winter gear and carrying my gear. Rifle on the front, sticks on the back... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD5_Eq3i5kY&t=4s HuntTXhogs shot this video. He can also tell you that a lot of stalking is slower paced. If the pigs are happy and not moving, no reason to race out to shoot them and be all out of breath and huffing and puffing when you get there. With that said, when we need to move fast, we don't run, but we move fast. He is more steady than me after we do that. :-)

I use Primos Triggersticks (tripod). I have the Gen II version, but now they have come out with Gen III. I like these because they extend very quietly via gravity. The downside is that they can rust-up in bad weather and cease functioning properly. I have fashioned a sling to my triggersticks for easy transport.

The cart stays in the truck until needed. As for a backpack, I actually wear an oversized bird hunter's vest with the giant pocket in the back and cargo pockets. The vest happens to be one made by Orvis about 10 years ago. I carry most of what I need in there.

Thanks for the compliment. I have good and bad days. This was a particularly good day. From my landowner's perspective, they are happy if I just keep picking off their hogs on a regular basis and not damaging their property in the process.

I have no doubt that shooting an pistol length barrel would have a very different result for some of the bullets. You are looking at a couple hundred FPS in reduced velocity which means lower impact velocities. Some bullets will perform the same, some worse, some better. Maybe not a direct comparison, but I noticed that the 123 gr SSTs that tend to come apart into lots of pieces at 2500+ fps are different than the 129 gr. SSTs with 175 pfs less (or however much) that tend to act more like a soft point and expand. I don't know. That would definitely double the amount of testing.

Comment

• sundowner
                    Chieftain
                    • Nov 2017

Another great video DNS , thanks for the info .

Comment

• gmoore1187
                      Unwashed
                      • Dec 2019

Great video!

Comment

• Les
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2016

As always DNS, nice job. I need to get down there more often, pretty fond of the meat.
                        Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

Working...
                        X