X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oyster
    Warrior
    • Jul 2018

I agree that the tables are only somewhat useful for certain things. One side I'm wondering about is if they were developed with animals with no or little human influences? Example, I can put a feeder out on a timer and as long as it goes off near dusk and dawn I can get a fair number of animals coming in no matter what the cycle is, until I shoot them.....then they change their patterns. Even "free range" hogs that aren't being feed have probably been shot at at some point in their life and since they're smarter than deer react accordingly by moving to other areas or changing their feeding times in certain areas. It seems where I hunt, if I get a new field with hogs that haven't been harassed at night they will come out relatively early 2100-2200 or so. After shooting them a couple of times they won't show their snouts until after 0200 and this is only if they're something good to eat in the field. Standing corn is another anomaly, I'm pretty sure once corn gets to be a certain height that can offer shade and corn ears many hogs will stay in that field day and night and only leave to find water. This time of year it slows down for me and I might go several weeks without seeing a hog, but the fields have little to no grain left, it's colder at night and I've shot at them multiple times in that area. But who's to say they're not in another field near by that I can't see during "normal" times feeding and not being harassed. All this to say it seems human interaction has a large effect on their movement times and areas.
    Like you've said they're somewhere all the time...
    Jay

Comment

• 81police
      Warrior
      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
      Bottom line. HOGS DON'T KNOW OR CARE ABOUT SOLUNAR TABLES. Hogs are active and "moving" pretty much any time they are not asleep. The trick is simply to be where the hogs are
      It's refreshing to hear conclusions drawn from research. Some of the largest boars I've ever shot were on their feet and moving during the daytime in 100 degree temps. We run a lot of trail camera's and hunt often and draw the same conclusions as you. And if we were just talking about lone, mature boars I'd say food & reproduction were the primary variables in movement regardless of solunar.

Good read, thanks DNS.
      John 11:25-26

Comment

Working...
      X