• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Arkhangel5
    Warrior
    • Apr 2016

Another sow with 12in Grendel

Went out last night after being told hogs were showing up again.

I recently upgraded to a Sightmark Wraith 4-32x Day/Night vision Digital scope, and was itching to see how it performed. The image seen at night is definitely a step up over the Bushnell Equinox monocular behind a night vision capable red dot sight setup I had been using.

I spent the first few moments setting up the IR illuminator that comes with the Wraith, panned and scanned around to get a feel for the sight picture before moving on to my target area for the night.

I went out to a spot I had seen hog activity before on previous nights, picked a spot that gave me good coverage to scan around.

After about 30 min I heard hogs moving thru the brush, I just bided my time till I got a shot as I had the wind in my favor, eventually I saw hogs moving in treeline and decided to take the first one that stopped long enough for a shot.

Having a choice of reticles to choose from is a big step up from just a biggish dot.

When I had the opportunity for a shot, I put the reticle on hog's head and sent a Nosler 120BT out. Shot hit the hog just below left ear and exited out the right ear. DRT.

She was about a 90lb sow, distance was about 35-40yds. Not a bad night.

1stWraithkill.png

This is kill#10 for the little Grendel.
    SY
    Last edited by Arkhangel5; 01-28-2020, 02:31 AM. Reason: correction
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Not too shabby at all!!!

So how are you liking the Wraith? Aside from a narrow FOV, do you have any complaints about it?
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• sundowner
      Chieftain
      • Nov 2017

Congrats on the sow .

Comment

• Bigs28
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2016

Congrats. I bet there are many more to come.

Comment

• Arkhangel5
          Warrior
          • Apr 2016

DNS,
          On the Wraith. not too many complaints.

The narrow field of view, I am accustomed to, it is what it is. Not many choices below 4x at this price point.

The clarity of image in that field of view is excellent, big step up from the Bushnell I was using previously, and still managed to kill hogs with. The daytime image vs the Bushnell there is no comparison.

The included IR illuminator that comes with the Wraith is a decent one for my purposes. The ability to align it perfectly with your sight picture is a big +. It swivels inside the mount and has the just the right amount of tension to be able dial it in and not have it move after it is set.

The one thing I noticed that I didn't like so much, is screen flare out after a shot in night mode. The image went white for a split second then recovered, could be a problem if multiple quick shots are required. The Bushnell doesn't do this or I never noticed it before.

Like i said before, having multiple reticles with color choices is a very nice feature. Makes the Wraith a nice package at it's price point.

SY

Comment

• sbowhuntr
            Warrior
            • Mar 2019

Congrats, I think my next 6.5 grr build is going to be a shorty.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Congrats on the kill sir. Loving my 12.5 grendel but think I'm going to sale it.

Comment

• FLshooter
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2019

Congrats. 90 pounds is a good size.Personally,I prefer a smaller hogs over the large ones any day.

Comment

Working...
                X