• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

2 Nights, 1 Field, 2 Very Different Results

Two nights earlier, I had gotten a call from this landowner that hogs had torn up the land up by the house. It was on my 3rd pass of the property that evening when I spied a lone boar out in the trees, about 400 yards from the house. I got out, snuck around over the fence and started closing the distance on the hog when I realized I there was a ton of crunchy leaves under the trees and the night was quite calm. I could not see all of the hog, but could not get much closer without the hog hearing me, so I waited. Later, as I check the downed hog, red and blues light up my truck. The local deputy is checking out what I am doing there. I don't know this deputy and he asks me a bunch of questions, does the ID check, ran my license plates, the whole 9 yards, you know, just making sure I am okay, LOL. About the time he is wrapping it up, another one drives by that knows me and let's the deputy know I am where I should be. Montague County has a small sheriff's office. I have been checked enough times that I should have met everyone who a patrols, but maybe not.

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

That one hog did not do the damage the landowner had mentioned. There had to be more. Last night, as part of making my rounds, spied hogs in the same group of trees where I had killed the boar. Instead of a calm night where making any noise was an issue, it was a blustery night with lots of ambient noise. I circled around and downwind of the hogs guessing that they would likely need to run in my direction to get to safety as hogs usually come off the property to the north. For once, I guessed better than expected and several ran past me faster and closer than expected. Three more opted to stay behind.

I am happy with the result, but not so much with the shooting on the last 2 runners. It all worked out fine, everything was in safe directions, just not enough shots on target.

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• gwtx
      Warrior
      • Feb 2019

ALL RIGHT ! You da man. I think there is a lot of folks that don't realize how wild and fast the action can get when you corner a group of hogs like that. I had one run by me so close and fast that he splashed water on me as I was kneeling in ankle deep water while shooting. He was so close I had to sight down the side of the barrel instead of trying to find him in the scope. Congratulations, that was great shooting as far as I'm concerned. Got my adrenaline up, if it wasn't drizzling rain here right now, I'd get ready and go out. Thank you for the videos.
      When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.

Comment

• Jkruger
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2019

That's a good haul from one property,DNS.
        I' m guessing it took some effort to drag them into one pile for the grin pic!
        Nice job.

Comment

• Bigs28
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2016

Always fun to watch.

Comment

• sundowner
            Chieftain
            • Nov 2017

Great watching , thanks .

Comment