• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gwtx
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

Another ELD-M victim

Found a sounder of about 15 - 20 hogs last night. They were in the open, night was bright, so I could only get to 160yds from them without spooking them. There were a lot of deer that were getting spooky and had the hogs on the alert. No tree or fence post to lean on, so knelt, hoped and shot. Pig went down and stayed down. Tried to get the range on a runner, but wasted 4 rounds, and he got too close to the cows to shoot anymore.
    123gr eld at MV 2535fps hit left shoulder, broke it, exited right shoulder, and broke it. I went back to the house to get my camera, and when I came back 10-15 minutes later, she sat up. From the way she went down, I thought she was DRT, but no, she was still breathing and sitting upright, she just couldn't get up. So, I shot her in the head, and took my picture and went home and hit the sack. It appeared she was lactating, and looked pregnant, don't know for sure, but maybe I got rid of more than one.
    Apparently the eld didn't expand to create enough shock to stop the heart. There was blood from the mouth, so the lungs were damaged. No doubt the eld's will kill if placed right,,,but I think I'll go back to the SST's when I use up the few eld's I have left. I have a couple hundred of the Honady BTHP's which look like the ELD, without a plastic tip. They probably perform like the ELD as well.??
    I'm also going to give the Gold Dot 120's a try. I shot a good 3 round group with them loaded with 28.0gr H335, running 2502fps.
    Attached Files
    When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.
  • sundowner
    Chieftain
    • Nov 2017

Good job , more than likely you got more than one .

Comment

• CJW
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2019

Nice job & report.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

To paraphrase McCoy, "It's dead, Jim."

I wasn't real happy with ELD 123s on hogs, either. I didn't think they performed consistently. Some 'blew up' and fragmented and did a nice job and some seemed to stay together sort of like what you describe, although the performance you got sounds good. I know some folks love them, but they are not my first choice by any stretch.

Checking the blink reflex on hogs is a great way determine whether they are really dead or not. I like to approach from the back or the side and first see if I can see them breathing or not and if not, move around to the head and touch the muzzle of my rifle to the eye. If the hog blinks, it gets shot. If not, GTG.
        Kill a hog. Save the planet.
        My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• gwtx
          Warrior
          • Feb 2019

Thanks for the replies. Good point DNS. Most of the time I go get my camera, and when I get back to the hog, I don't get off the 4 wheeler until checking the eyes, then get off and kick'em whilst having the muzzle pointed at their head.
          I've been shredding/mowing a pasture and after beating myself and my equipment to death, I have a re-newed to kill as many hogs as I can. Getting ready to go out now and see if I can find some. Gary
          When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2013

LOL, I know what you mean. I twisted an ankle last night, stepping in a hog rut I didn't see.

Comment

• Jerikeaux
              Bloodstained
              • Mar 2020

Great shot, Ive been very happy with the Hornady SST rounds so far. Got my grendel last november and Ive taken down 13 pigs, 1 spike and 2 coyotes all drt. I did lose one big boar that walked off after lying motionless for a good 10 minutes. Guess you cant win them all.

Comment

• gwtx
                Warrior
                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                LOL, I know what you mean. I twisted an ankle last night, stepping in a hog rut I didn't see.
                Sorry to hear that. How bad is the ankle? I sure hope it's not going to keep you from putting out those great videos

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2013

Not bad and not unusual. I am flat footed and prone to have this happen when on uneven ground. I guess it is what they call a strain, versus being a sprain. This time, it was definitely hog-related, LOL.

Comment

• gwtx
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2019

That's good news. I just got in from checking the pastures. No pigs, one coyote, gnawing on an old carcass. Did something I don't normally do, shooting prone. Lucky I was able to get up , but I got him. Normally too many thorns etc to lay down. It was like daylight with the big moon, and he spotted me right away, but didn't leave. We have had a lot of yotes this year. I'll post pic tomorrow, I could not fine the entrance wound, but the exit was pretty impressive, 123gr ELD.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by gwtx; 05-07-2020, 04:15 PM.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                      Chieftain
                      • Sep 2013

When you need/want to find an entry or exit wound, roll the animal over to where the impact side is down and then stand on the carcass. That will help put pressure on the circulatory system and force some blood out of the wound (usually). For a coyote, standing may be a little much, but stepping down on the carcass with 1 foot may do it. We stand on top of hogs to find wounds and sometimes have to do it more than once.

Comment

• Arkhangel5
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2016

Great story GWTx.

You always learn something new from DNS.

SY

Comment

• gwtx
                          Warrior
                          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                          When you need/want to find an entry or exit wound, roll the animal over to where the impact side is down and then stand on the carcass. That will help put pressure on the circulatory system and force some blood out of the wound (usually). For a coyote, standing may be a little much, but stepping down on the carcass with 1 foot may do it. We stand on top of hogs to find wounds and sometimes have to do it more than once.
                          Thanks for the tip. I mashed around on him with my hand, combed the fur back and forth etc, maybe didn't put enough pressure on him. The exit wound corresponds with my point of aim, and I saw the "juice" fly out the other side of him, so I'm sure there's a hole there somewhere. Take care of that ankle,,,(like my dad used to say,,,WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING!)

I added pics to post #10

Comment

• gwtx
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Arkhangel5 View Post
                            Great story GWTx.

You always learn something new from DNS.

SY
                            You're sure right there. I've learned a LOT from him and this forum.

Comment

• sundowner
                              Chieftain
                              • Nov 2017

Congrats on the Yote .

Comment

Working...
                              X