Warrior
    • Dec 2017

Hornady ELD-M out penetrates SST

YouTube Great Grendel: 6.5mm Grendel Hornady Black 123 ELD Gel Test

• A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Great vid.

Didn't you kill a moose with a CZ grendel and 123 eld-m factory ammo?

Comment

• jmkhenka
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2020

I dont get why people hunt with match bullets. There are so many good hunting rounds to pick from. SST is hardly any better then ELD-M but at least they tried to make a hunting bullet out of it.

For varmint or stuff not for the table, i can understand. But deer? Never!

I was once keen on the Eld-X in my 6.5x55, but I realised that its made for the 500+ meter ranges that americans tend to hunt at, not the sub 100 meters we expect in sweden. Taking on something like a moose with that sure kills it, but we hunt for meat and there is no reason to pepper it all with lead fragments. Give me a heavy roundnose or softnose with bonded lead core if you must use lead bullets at all.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by jmkhenka View Post
        I dont get why people hunt with match bullets. There are so many good hunting rounds to pick from. SST is hardly any better then ELD-M but at least they tried to make a hunting bullet out of it.

I was once keen on the Eld-X in my 6.5x55, but I realised that its made for the 500+ meter ranges that americans tend to hunt at, not the sub 100 meters we expect in sweden. Taking on something like a moose with that sure kills it, but we hunt for meat and there is no reason to pepper it all with lead fragments. Give me a heavy roundnose or softnose with bonded lead core if you must use lead bullets at all.
        First thing you need to realize is that how a bullet is marketed really has nothing absolute to do with how it performs. If a bullet company has a bullet that they find to be accurate enough and they need a match bullet in their lineup, it is marketed as a match bullet. If they need a varmint bullet and it likes to break apart on impact, it gets marketed as a varmint bullet. It may even be marketed as a frangible big game bullet (which is a feature many hunters like and for which Berger has made a lot of money).

The Hornady AMAX bullet was a marketed match bullet that Grendel deer hunters seemed to love. Hornady never marketed it as a hunting bullet and had a disclaimer on their website saying it was not for hunting, but people loved it for hunting.

I do agree with you about polluting the extra meat with bits of lead. I hunt with a frangible varmint round made for little varmints and I use it for hogs. It works well. When folks ask me what I suggest for hunting hogs, my question to them is whether they are meat hunting or animal control hunting. For the meat hunters, I suggest bullets that tend to stay together better. However, some people are willing to lose a little extra meat or choose their shots such that they don't damage a lot of meat.

Only a tiny percentage of American hunters hunt at 500+ meter range. You will find the vast majority do most or all of their hunting within 180 meters and the vast majority of those will be within 90 meters.
        Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 05-14-2020, 03:06 PM.
        Kill a hog. Save the planet.
        My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

Originally posted by jmkhenka View Post

There are 3 types of hunters regardless of which country you're in.
          1. People who hunt with a bullet because they know/like how it performs for them.
          2. People who hunt with a bullet because that's what they were "told" to hunt with.
          3. People who hunt with a bullet because they have no real idea of bullet selection but they're blasting away anyway.
          4. People who hunt with a bullet because that's the one they have.

As to meat loss, I lose more meat to the butcher's knife than I do to the wound channel. Maybe that's just me.

Note also that the Eldx, like any other bullet, has an effective range for the caliber and cartridge you've selected. I use it nicely in my 6 Creed at up to 300 yds but I'm not going any further than that for ethical-shot reasons.

Most Americans hunt and shoot at 100 yds or less.

Pick your bullet properly, it is what translates your intention to the animal. Again, this is true no matter what country you're talking about.
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Dinny
            Warrior
            • Jun 2016

Hey grayfox! I had to remove my socks to get an accurate count, but that looks like 4 to me, not 3.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

AAAGHHHHH!!!!

Joe Biden used his Chinese network snooping and re-wrote that in Biden-ese before I posted!!!!!
              Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!
              I've got a three-letter word for that: Jobs, J-O-B-S.
              Two words: Not going to happen.

good catch.
              "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                Warrior
                • Dec 2017

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2017

I missed an important detail. The term i use for what the bullet does from the hide onward is 'work'...the wound channel etc.

For a long time i argued ft/lbs energy was a useless measure however i believe with these new eyes it can help show the 'work' to be expected, it can help show that this measure isn't useless. It sure is in the case of the .416 vs goat as with its delayed controlled expansion and high sd it could go through 8 goats with moderate damage...but when you have a goat tag you're only allowed to shoot 1 lol. And besides, trying to get 8 goats all lined up for the one shot would be take some help from the devine.

Of course this relates if all bullets compared to the same test. Then you can see which ones do more 'work' over x-amount of distances etc. It will just allow you to really find the performance you want to take afield. With a lot less 'opinion' or ....just throw a 180 out of 30 and you'll be fine.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2017

Having some trouble with edit feature, keep deleting, anyway.

My mouth starts to water when i think about the potential direction for future hunting bullet development using the data's we can obtain more usefully. The goal posts we could create. We could really start creating even more flexible/versatile bullets that hit wider and wider ranges of performance capabilities afield.

Comment

• Goochylogic
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2016

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                        Great vid.

Didn't you kill a moose with a CZ grendel and 123 eld-m factory ammo?
                        Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                        First thing you need to realize is that how a bullet is marketed really has nothing absolute to do with how it performs. If a bullet company has a bullet that they find to be accurate enough and they need a match bullet in their lineup, it is marketed as a match bullet. If they need a varmint bullet and it likes to break apart on impact, it gets marketed as a varmint bullet. It may even be marketed as a frangible big game bullet (which is a feature many hunters like and for which Berger has made a lot of money).

The Hornady AMAX bullet was a marketed match bullet that Grendel deer hunters seemed to love. Hornady never marketed it as a hunting bullet and had a disclaimer on their website saying it was not for hunting, but people loved it for hunting.

I do agree with you about polluting the extra meat with bits of lead. I hunt with a frangible varmint round made for little varmints and I use it for hogs. It works well. When folks ask me what I suggest for hunting hogs, my question to them is whether they are meat hunting or animal control hunting. For the meat hunters, I suggest bullets that tend to stay together better. However, some people are willing to lose a little extra meat or choose their shots such that they don't damage a lot of meat.

Only a tiny percentage of American hunters hunt at 500+ meter range. You will find the vast majority do most or all of their hunting within 180 meters and the vast majority of those will be within 90 meters.
                        Also well said, totally agree. Those long range hunters seem to love these more frangible bullets as at distance when they slow down the bullets behave more like bonded controlled expansion bullets still. Yes they are a little more damaging up close but those delayed controlled bullets at distance don't do much work, pencil holes. You can get away with little sd and pretty rapid expansion on deer no doubt, so most bullets period from the known cartridges will do the job further than most can shoot.

Comment

Working...
                        X