• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gwtx
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

2 Boars and 1 Sow Down

Shot placement wasn't the best. I was shooting from a kneeling position, and was excited . Made for a good night. Now I can sleep good.
    Attached Files
    When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.
  • tdbru
    Warrior
    • Dec 2019

well, ya got 'em. learn from your shooting tonight and next time, shot placement will be better i'd bet. congrats.
    -tdbru

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2013

Excellent!!!
      Kill a hog. Save the planet.
      My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• TomSawyerNW
        Warrior
        • Nov 2015

Good looking pigs!
        If the Democrats had been in power when this country was founded, we'd be the British.

Comment

• Arkhangel5
          Warrior
          • Apr 2016

Good job, Gwtx!

SY

Comment

• sundowner
            Chieftain
            • Nov 2017

Great job , congrats .

Comment

• gwtx
              Warrior
              • Feb 2019

EDIT:
              I wanted to add some info I didn't have time to do last night.
              I was using 123 SST's.(Magnetospeed show 2525avg). Range was 60yd(first hog), 70 to 80yd(second one), 100yd(third one). First hog dropped on the spot. The other two only ran about 10 to 20yds after(finally) being hit. All three were hit behind the shoulder. The third hog was hit on the right side, and exited near the left hip. The photo shows the damage there. The SST's brought down all three with one shot each even though the point of impact was not optimal on any of them. . I'm pretty much sold on them for my type of hunting. I am going to try the Gold Dots, and later the Hornady BTHP's. Just thought I'd pass on what I've learned from you guys. Thanks. Special thanks to DNS for his videos. They have helped me a lot with learning how to "lead" a running hog when shooting. Hope to get out before the storm tonight and kill some more, but at the same time I hope I get rained out. We DESPERATELY need the rain. Thanks again, Gary
              When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.

Comment

• Redomen
                Warrior
                • Jun 2016

What scope are you using? Great job by the way.

Comment

• gwtx
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Redomen View Post
                  What scope are you using? Great job by the way.
                  Pulsar XD38A 2015 year model. Thanks

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by gwtx View Post
                    EDIT:
                    I wanted to add some info I didn't have time to do last night.
                    I was using 123 SST's.(Magnetospeed show 2525avg). Range was 60yd(first hog), 70 to 80yd(second one), 100yd(third one). First hog dropped on the spot. The other two only ran about 10 to 20yds after(finally) being hit. All three were hit behind the shoulder. The third hog was hit on the right side, and exited near the left hip. The photo shows the damage there. The SST's brought down all three with one shot each even though the point of impact was not optimal on any of them. . I'm pretty much sold on them for my type of hunting. I am going to try the Gold Dots, and later the Hornady BTHP's. Just thought I'd pass on what I've learned from you guys. Thanks. Special thanks to DNS for his videos. They have helped me a lot with learning how to "lead" a running hog when shooting. Hope to get out before the storm tonight and kill some more, but at the same time I hope I get rained out. We DESPERATELY need the rain. Thanks again, Gary
                    Not always making great shots or perfect shots is a reality of hunting. If we were all perfect shooters, there would be no need for anything other than FMJ. We would all make high CNS shots for instant kills, little meat damage, nice pelts, and be done with it. However, the reality is that we are not perfect and not every shot is perfect. It is most helpful that bullets do damage greater than their caliber size. Such extra damage speeds kills that are not immediate. Some bullets, when fired at certain velocities, really seem to frequently "punch above their weight class" because of the significant and sometimes excessive damage that they do. I think 123 gr. SSTs fall into that category when the MV is above 2500 fps and the game is inside 100-150 yards. The downside, of course, is that SSTs create so much damage, in part, because they come apart, which may be less optimal for some meat hunters. For taking care of depredating hogs, it is an excellent round, IMO. Trying different bullets/ammo is terrific if you have the opportunity. You can find what works best for you and your hunting situation.

Sorry you need rain. You can have some of ours. I got chased off my hunting spot by storms on Saturday. Sunday was mixed rain. We are due to have rain likely most evenings if not every day this week.
                    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

Working...
                    X