• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • diggler1833
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2020

Five More Hogs

Well, I got over confident and kind of sucked the big one the other night. My first engagement of hogs with the 6.5 Grendel was lucky, and I killed four with five shots...but three of those shots were spot on.

This time around; I fired 21 rounds (handloaded 123gr SST), and hit with most of them...BUT...many of those hits were poor. I failed to drop several sub-adults in the ~75lb range, and I watched two wounded hogs make it off property...One because it ran right by a cow that was mostly hiding in the trees, and the other because I was too late scanning further downrange. I am sure that several more were hit, but I have no clue what happened to them.

*** However, my opening shot was in the shoulder of a 185lb sow quartering towards me. That bullet made it into her lungs, she was hit once more in the rear as she ran and collapsed and died about 80 yards from where she was initially hit. I also shot a 165lb sow three times at ranges around 120-150 yards. All three SSTs made pass throughs.

I jokingly texted a couple of buddies and let them know that I was going to post my Grendel for sale next to Ed's Creedmoor...but I fully understand that my lack of success falls on my shoulders, not on the rifle/cartridge.

Anyways, here is a crappy video.

• sundowner
    Chieftain
    • Nov 2017

Great video , thanks for sharing .

Comment

• Les
      Warrior
      • Oct 2016

Nice job.
      Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

It is a numbers game. The more you kill now, the less you have to kill later, only it will still be more than now.
        Kill a hog. Save the planet.
        My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• diggler1833
          Bloodstained
          • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
          It is a numbers game. The more you kill now, the less you have to kill later, only it will still be more than now.
          That is the absolute truth. Leave a sounder alone for a year and see what happens.

I had three sounders on this place in 2019. By this point I killed all but one hog out of one, and all but three juveniles out of another.

Those three juveniles have had their territory taken over by the sounder in this video, and I had two new sounders show up on the NW portion of the ranch...of which I've wiped one completely out and cut the other in half.

It will be never ending.

Comment

• ruesauw
            Bloodstained
            • Jul 2020

thanks for sharing your hunt !

Comment

• oyster
              Warrior
              • Jul 2018

Good job, they're tough animals!

Comment