Going to Wyoming in October for a Cow Elk, with my 6.5 Grendel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mad Charlie
    Warrior
    • May 2017

Originally posted by kmon View Post
    II have loaded my 24 Inch AR and 22 inch bolt action and know several others that have found a very good accuracy node between 30 and 30.9 grains of powder in Lapua or Hornady brass, just work it up for your brass and rifle. Same could be said for the 130gr AR Hybrid. 2.265 oal works in mind ans does 2.285 in my CZ
    Thanks kmon, which powder?

Comment

• kmon
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2015

Sorry about leaving the powder out CFE 233

Comment

• nawagner
        Bloodstained
        • Apr 2018

That should be a good area to hunt and you should do well. Good Luck!

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Put that 129 ablr in the high shoulder/spine and your elk cow wont go anywhere.

I will never understand the desire to shoot game animals in the heart and lungs and have to watch them run off and track them.

Personally I would leave the 06 in the gun safe and go put my cow down with the grendel. But whatever you decide good luck and happy hunting.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2013

Put that 129 ablr in the high shoulder/spine and your elk cow wont go anywhere.
            In other words, hit the spine or do significant indirect damage to the spine (hyrdraulic/hydrostatic shock) such that the animal is crippled and dies quickly with no trailing or is outright killed.
            Kill a hog. Save the planet.
            My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Laman
              Bloodstained
              • May 2019

I have been shooting game with various 6.5's for 30 years and have killed several elk with bigger calibers. That high shoulder or correctly place neck shot is the only one I would take with a Grendel and it would be less than 300 yards.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                In other words, hit the spine or do significant indirect damage to the spine (hyrdraulic/hydrostatic shock) such that the animal is crippled and dies quickly with no trailing or is outright killed.
                Exactly that. A very quick and humain kill that keeps the animal from experiencing little to no suffering and saves time and effort and metal stress on the hunter trying to track a animal.

The only caveat too taking that kind of shot, is to not use a bullet that can are will fragment easily upon impact with bone. Useing a good bonded are copper bullet to take a cns type shot will lessen the amount of meat damage but still drop the animal in place due too the amount of damage imparted to the cns.

Comment

Working...
                X