• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EigerWand
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2018

Originally posted by Old Bob View Post
    EigerWand... Have you hunted Sambar deer? I just saw a hunting show on the tube of a guy hunting Sambar in New Zealand. Impressive looking animal!

Hi Bob,
    No, I haven't hunted Sambar in NZ. They're only present in a small area in some sand dune / forestry country and opportunities for ordinary blokes to hunt them are quite limited.
    However, they are the main game animal on public land not far away in the state of Victoria in Australia. Some hunt with dogs (the Australian Deer Association) and some by stalking. They are quite difficult to stalk and the "bush" is dry and prickly with stinging ants and poisonous snakes. A high skill proposition and I take my hat off to anyone who has shot even one of them.
    They aren't Grendel fodder of course. The WinMag or perhaps 35 Whelen would be about the smallest recommended. I believe the cartridge has to be at least 2.5" OAL but 308 is undergunned, really. Someone from Oz would be able to give more information.

Comment

• Old Bob
      Warrior
      • Oct 2019

Thanks for the reply EigerWand. Sounds like the Sambar is a tough critter & would be a worthy trophy for a hunter willing to tough out challenging environmental conditions. Dry & prickly, stinging ants & poisonous snakes... Sounds like Southwest New Mexico where I've hunted Coues deer & also where everything either bites, pokes or stings.
      I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

Working...
      X