• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobertFL
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

85 grain TREX and 123 SST hogs

120520Sow.jpg This one was about 10 yards away and took a 85 grain TREX just below ear and you can see the exit down towards throat. She dropped right there.
  • RobertFL
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

120520Boar.jpg I had 2 mags with me and grabbed the one with SSTs instead of the Maker bullets. This boar tried to slip in behind me and he almost got down wind. He took a 123 grain SST at 40 yards thru the shoulder as you can see in the picture. The SST passed thru hog and exited low on the opposite leg after passing thru the top of heart. He dropped at the shot but got up and ran about 25 yards. his shield was nearly 3/4 inch. I found one petal that had broken off right at the exit hole. The lungs had plenty of damage and heart did too.

Comment

• sundowner
      Chieftain
      • Nov 2017

Congrats on the hogs .

Comment

• Bigs28
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2016

Very nice work.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

Good job, Robert. That all sounds about right. The sow dropped and stayed down with a CNS damaging shot. The boar ran with a boiler room shot that didn't damage CNS.
          Kill a hog. Save the planet.
          My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• RobertFL
            Warrior
            • Feb 2018

Thanks, our hunt club is a 3000 acre pine tree plantation and has no open fields or cattle. Hunting is done on 15 ft ladder stands 99.9% of the time and a swivel chair on a rare occasion. Yesterday I got a Bush Hog mower so I can mow in between pine rows and pond edges That should help me see more of the hogs.

Comment

• RobertFL
              Warrior
              • Feb 2018

3 years ago on our neighbors 4000 acre cattle property they had a hog dog crew come in. They live caught just over 1000 hogs in about 60 days. They caught 65 in 3 days on our place.

Comment

• peak98
                Warrior
                • Dec 2019

Originally posted by RobertFL View Post
                3 years ago on our neighbors 4000 acre cattle property they had a hog dog crew come in. They live caught just over 1000 hogs in about 60 days. They caught 65 in 3 days on our place.

Comment

• RobertFL
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2018

we do have some small oak hammocks and that's a good place to see a buck during archery and black powder.. For the hogs I have 55 gallon steel drums with spin motors on bottom. they are suspended between 2 trees using chain. Raised and lowered with a "boat winch". Some of the guys use tripod feeders but the big hogs and an occasional bear tear them up at times. We have no power lines or gas lines. Since it is a club I have to stay in my area, can't access the whole 3000 acres.
                  Last edited by RobertFL; 12-08-2020, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X