• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coyote Bob
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2019

Deer N 120 BT

Decided to use my Grendel AR Aero/Wilson 22" to deer hunt this year I was skeptical to say the least but everyone abd everything said sure. Handloaded N 120 BT, 27.6 of TAC V 2380. Shot 2 medium size (150 pd) buck whitetails one 75 yards one right at 100. Both hit well one double lung, one shoulder and heart. Both deer recovered within 50 yards. But, no pass thru not a spec of blood to be found except at the drop location. Both bullets recovered in the skin on the opposite side. Medium expansion. Honestly I would like a pass thru, if I had not heard the crashing and had a solid idea as to where both went neither may have been recovered easily. This round is devastating on coyotes hence why I loaded them for deer. Im NOT dissatisfied but what is everyone's choice in a bullet in the 95-120 range that has passed thru and.left a good trail. Maybe next year I will try something a little different.
  • ricsmall
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Barnes 100 TTSX driven as hard as you can drive with 8208. Accurate and deadly. I shot a doe way back when sneaky and I were doing some projo testing. Anyway, shot her in chest, bullet exited between rear hams. Blood trail was good. She ran straight towards me and piled up. Good bullet. Also shot a big sow a month or so ago, complete pass through both shoulders and she ran maybe 20 yds and piled up. Good blood trail.
    Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Oso Polaris
      Warrior
      • Apr 2019

You need to reconsider your load recipe... you should be targeting a velocity between 2500-2600fps out of a 22" barrel shooting a 120gr bullet. I'm developing a hunting load for my rifle (20") shooting 115 Barnes Tax-TX with CFE223 and achieving 2,500fps, and there is still some room left for more speed. You probably need to consider changing to a faster powder, such as CFE223, LeverEvolution, H4895, or XBR 8202.

Comment

• sundowner
        Chieftain
        • Nov 2017

Congrats on the bucks .

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
          Warrior
          • Nov 2018

Nice write-up, thanks!

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
            Warrior
            • Nov 2018

Sierra Gives

TAC

Comment

• diggler1833
              Bloodstained
              • Aug 2020

I've started shooting hogs recently with the 120 NBT loaded to just about the same velocity as the OP. I've noticed pretty good results so far on smaller ones (150 or less), but have had only one bullet exit on a complete broadside shot. Damage has been great, and I'd give the bullet a "reccomend" to this point. However, *so far* I'd day that the SST may penetrate a bit more while still offering the fragmentation and wound cavity similar to the NBT.

If you want full penetration on every possible angle the all copper bullets are the best option. I tested the 120gr Barnes TSX/TAC-X recently, and was getting full penetration on 200+ pound hogs even after hitting bone and going through the shield.

Comment

Working...
              X