Clear All
  • Bullseyetony
    Bloodstained
    • May 2020

Picked up a new electronic caller

• rabiddawg
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2013

Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

I have had 3 of them. Good unit, not built to last, not really made for the day to day work that some guys put into predator hunting but if it's a few times a year type of thing and in good weather it will do fine for you. Like Rabid said dont leave the batteries in. They will kill the unit.

The fox pro is a bit more cash wise but it's a much more better built unit and has much more market support with upgrades and downloadable sounds plus custom sound features.

I have 4 diffrent foxpro units now, their smallest model is my primary varmint caller and the rest I use from time to time on varmints but they spend most of their time on snow geese.

I suggest finding a cheap used pelican case and get new foam and cut it to hold everything nice and tight, will prolong the life of the unit a ton.

Comment

• Bullseyetony
        Bloodstained
        • May 2020

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Keep a eye on foxpro website. They will have rebuilt units for sale at a big discount from time to time. That's how I got my first one.

Also do some google fuu. Alot of times you can find the foxpro units much cheaper on websites to specialize in selling gear for snow goose hunting.

My 2 biggest units I use for snow geese I got for half price on priariewinddecoys website. They have big sales right after the season ends.

Comment

• Bri0242
            Unwashed
            • Jan 2021

Comment

• TomSawyerNW
              Warrior
              • Nov 2015

This all makes me ask anyone who can answer, what is your recommendation for an electronic caller for calling in coyotes?
              If the Democrats had been in power when this country was founded, we'd be the British.

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

I reckon coyotes would be pretty similar to foxes in behaviour.

We use whistles to bring them in.

Dedicated electronic callers are not as popular with fox shooters over here as whistles and portable boom speakers. The attitude is, keep it simple and use what works. You do see boom speakers with either built-in SD cards or connected via Bluetooth to phones. I have used a UE Boom speaker with some success but no more than the good old whistle. We use the sound track of a parrot in distress on the phone which is linked to a Boom speaker taped to the frame of the vehicle and the track is looped. Advice on the settup from Foxbusters.com

Here is some info on calling with recorded lures from Foxbusters.com

Here are a couple of whistles. You can also make one out of two shotgun case brass bases pushed together with the primers removed. Mimic the sound of a rabbit or bird in distress and they often come running, especially the young ones. We use smaller, faster calibres like Hornet or 223 in bolt guns for fox hunting. Here's the haul from a fortnight ago. Been back twice since and only saw one in the distance (200M) which was wary and not interested in the whistle.

Last edited by Klem; 01-21-2021, 01:49 AM.

Comment

• TomSawyerNW
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2015

Thanks a bunch, Klem. In 6-9 months, I'll be moving to a property where coyotes have become very common in recent years, and have pretty much decimated the area's deer herd. Even bobcats are now abundant, and have taken their toll on the deer herd and anything else that looks like good eating - where groundhogs and foxes were once plentiful, they've become scarce. When I make the move, I intend to live by the proverbial 'all's fair in love and war' with the coyotes. Calling them in will be one of the strategies.
                  Last edited by TomSawyerNW; 01-21-2021, 12:52 PM. Reason: Where's spellcheck when i need it?
                  If the Democrats had been in power when this country was founded, we'd be the British.

Comment

• Rufjustis
                    Bloodstained
                    • Aug 2020

I'm relatively new to varmint hunting, been at it for about four years now,and before I bought my Foxpro Shockwave had only used hand calls. I've had good results on coyotes, foxes and bobcats. Had a couple coons and even one possum to come and attack the caller. This is all at night with my thermal. I've not been but a few times during the day and called a few coyotes, one bobcat, and had a red tailed hawk put the air brakes on about four feet over the decoy. I guess I'm technology impaired, as I've yet to figure out how to do anything but "one call at a time". I think if I had the manual figured out and could use the different things the call can do and mix up sounds and such, it would do a lot better.

Comment

• GREYBUFF
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2018

Just replaced my Primos Turbo Dogg (for sale on ebay) with a FOXPRO Shockwave today. Looking forward to using it this week on my javelina/predator hunt this next week.....
                      I thought about selling my weapons back to the government, but after a thorough background check it was determined that the buyer has a long history of violence and is mentally unstable. Therefore could not pass NICS.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by TomSawyerNW View Post
                        This all makes me ask anyone who can answer, what is your recommendation for an electronic caller for calling in coyotes?
                        I have lots of success with my foxpro unit but to be honest I have called more in with a ps. Olt fox/coyote hand call then anything else.

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
                          Warrior
                          • May 2011

I've hunted with everything from a mp3 player with a cord running to a little speaker to the high end foxpros and most in between. I currently own and use the foxpro fusion and lucky duck revolt.
                          Both continue to serve me well.
                          Also always keep a stable of hand calls

Comment

Working...
                          X