X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Coyote
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

great video again! are you able to get your hands on the barnes vor-tx 115gr factory load? it's rated at 2590 fps and using the 115gr ttsx tac-tx bt bullet and these are modeled after the 300 blackout version (tac-tx) which are designed to open up at much slower velocities of Ar-15 cartridges with shorter barrels, there's pretty limited info or testing on this new load available, your 120gr ttsx will be quite a slower opening than this by what i've learned about these tac-tx options so the 120 will penetrate deeper than most options as it will retain the highest sd through it's journey

by all accounts this should be a stellar bullet for the Grendel as it should retain a great blend of sd while giving those internal benefits of rapid expansion construction, this would be a good one to get the metal detector out and recover a few if they don't exit, also good being a mono for legal areas or those concerned about lead but love that rapid expansion performance with great penetration from higher sd bullets like the 123gr from hornady etc.

i have picked up some of this ammo and it certainly is shorter oal than the hornady black and it's also crimped, they designed the ammo/bullet directly for AR use, as a bolt action shooter i feel it would be better handloaded and get a bit more speed and push the bullet back out to at least hornady black ammo length and lose the crimp but that's another conversation

i want to see how it does in gel and on these hogs, a lot to ask i know, i'm sure it's coming at some point, if anyone has seen it tested in gel hook me up with a link, or on game, as of yet i haven't seen a recovered 115 ttsx tac-tx from anything, it could be quite an awesome blend of performance for Grendels and hunting

as you can see here this is only thing i can find on this ammo https://shwat.com/barnes-bullets-vor...rendel-review/ so they kill an absolute pile of hogs with the new load yet no one seemed to follow up with a report of what the bullets did, no recovered....half azz if you ask me
    Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 02-08-2021, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• Constitutionalist
      Warrior
      • Nov 2016

Great video! Well done!

Comment

• Parabellum55
        Unwashed
        • Oct 2020

i am a nosler fan from the early days, all my big game ammo was nosler however nowadays in the soviet state of California everything is shot with copper. I must say that the barnes tsx bullets are nothing short of amazing.

Comment

• diggler1833
          Bloodstained
          • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
          great video again! are you able to get your hands on the barnes vor-tx 115gr factory load? it's rated at 2590 fps and using the 115gr ttsx tac-tx bt bullet and these are modeled after the 300 blackout version (tac-tx) which are designed to open up at much slower velocities of Ar-15 cartridges with shorter barrels, there's pretty limited info or testing on this new load available, your 120gr ttsx will be quite a slower opening than this by what i've learned about these tac-tx options so the 120 will penetrate deeper than most options as it will retain the highest sd through it's journey

by all accounts this should be a stellar bullet for the Grendel as it should retain a great blend of sd while giving those internal benefits of rapid expansion construction, this would be a good one to get the metal detector out and recover a few if they don't exit, also good being a mono for legal areas or those concerned about lead but love that rapid expansion performance with great penetration from higher sd bullets like the 123gr from hornady etc.

i have picked up some of this ammo and it certainly is shorter oal than the hornady black and it's also crimped, they designed the ammo/bullet directly for AR use, as a bolt action shooter i feel it would be better handloaded and get a bit more speed and push the bullet back out to at least hornady black ammo length and lose the crimp but that's another conversation

i want to see how it does in gel and on these hogs, a lot to ask i know, i'm sure it's coming at some point, if anyone has seen it tested in gel hook me up with a link, or on game, as of yet i haven't seen a recovered 115 ttsx tac-tx from anything, it could be quite an awesome blend of performance for Grendels and hunting

as you can see here this is only thing i can find on this ammo https://shwat.com/barnes-bullets-vor...rendel-review/ so they kill an absolute pile of hogs with the new load yet no one seemed to follow up with a report of what the bullets did, no recovered....half azz if you ask me
          Well, right now I'm smack in the middle of testing the 95gr TTSX in the 6.8 (I know, boo me). I haven't seen a thing on the 115gr in .264, but I'd love to be able to get my hands on some. The 120gr TSX was about the best performer so far on my Grendel, and I can only imagine that a little more velocity will help.

I did score (50) of the 100gr TTSX, that I will test in the Grendel the next go-around.

It will be a bit before I get back to the Grendel, probably this fall or winter.

The biggest problem that I always run into when I'm curious about a bullet is the lack of evidence to any findings. I know that my stuff is basic at best, but at least you can see the bullets in action.

Please be patient with me, I don't have as many hogs up here as they do in TX.

Have a good one.

Comment

• diggler1833
            Bloodstained
            • Aug 2020

Thank you.

Comment

• diggler1833
              Bloodstained
              • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Parabellum55 View Post
              i am a nosler fan from the early days, all my big game ammo was nosler however nowadays in the soviet state of California everything is shot with copper. I must say that the barnes tsx bullets are nothing short of amazing.
              So far they have worked well from my limited experience in both the 6.5 and 6.8. I even have some 130gr TTSX to try in the .308 at some point.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                Warrior
                • Dec 2017

Originally posted by diggler1833 View Post
                Well, right now I'm smack in the middle of testing the 95gr TTSX in the 6.8 (I know, boo me). I haven't seen a thing on the 115gr in .264, but I'd love to be able to get my hands on some. The 120gr TSX was about the best performer so far on my Grendel, and I can only imagine that a little more velocity will help.

I did score (50) of the 100gr TTSX, that I will test in the Grendel the next go-around.

It will be a bit before I get back to the Grendel, probably this fall or winter.

The biggest problem that I always run into when I'm curious about a bullet is the lack of evidence to any findings. I know that my stuff is basic at best, but at least you can see the bullets in action.

Please be patient with me, I don't have as many hogs up here as they do in TX.

Have a good one.
                I have heard the 100 gr ttsx recovered is not easy to find, maybe possible from a Grendel but yes, it and the 120gr are of similar construction to the rest of the ttsx line up, but this 115gr is supposed to be a different construction to open under the lower velocities of the short barrel suppressed stuff, Grendel velocities, this is apparently all their 'tac-tx' line of bullets so more than it's 5 gr lighter than the 120...it's supposed to be quite a bit more rapid expansion given same impact velocities.

Comment

• diggler1833
                  Bloodstained
                  • Aug 2020

I honestly don't know. From previous research their TAC-X line was reported to have been the same bullet, essentially packaged differently. Again though, I have zero connections with Barnes, so everything I know is hearsay.

I would expect complete pass throughs on most hogs with the 100gr TTSX out if the Grendel. So far, I've had mostly pass through impacts with the 95gr TTSX out of the 6.8.

At some point, I will find out and let you know !

Comment

Working...
                  X