• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Samurai41A
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2020

Mid-MO deer didn't want to go down

Setup: 6.5 Grendel Howa Mini Heavy Barrel, shooting suppressed. 123 Gr Hornady SST with a MV of 2495 FPS. All shots taken broadside, within 50 yards. Total time between shot 1 and 4 was maybe 3 minutes.

Here's the short story. Still hunting in November and walked up within 50 yards of this bad boy in heavy woods. He was with 2 does and was about to jump the fence off of our property. First shot was forced through light brush, zero reaction from all 3 deer. That was wierd. He turns back to stay on our property and walks on a bit, I get a second shot, zero reaction from any deer. What the hell! He takes a few more steps, and I put another in him. This time he bucks a bit and takes 5 steps or so, but still just standing like no big deal. He turns to face the other way and I put another in him. This time he jogs off away from me and out of sight. I'm completely at a loss as to what is happening and pretty sure he just ran off into the sunset. I give it a few minutes and find him dead 30 yards down the trail. Here is what I found...

Shot 1: broke up in the brush and 1 small fragment barely entered the shoulder. It was a bad shot I shouldn't have taken through the brush, but he was about to go out of bounds.

Shot 2: entered just behind the left shoulder, and bullet found under the skin on the far side, flattened out.

Shot 3: entered just behind right shoulder and exited same spot on the left side, leaving about 1.5" hole.

Shot 4: entered a bit high just behind left shoulder and exited the right shoulder, leaving another 1.5" exit.

SO, the bullet performed pretty much as it should have, but wow was that a tough deer. I've never had to make more than 1 shot on a whitetail like that before. I only had 1 round left. I have no doubt that without that suppressor he would have been long gone and I'd feel like a real a-hole.

Hard to tell from the pics, but the rack was super heavy. 5" circumference at the base and only tapered off to 4" at H4
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Samurai41A; 01-26-2021, 04:42 PM.
  • ricsmall
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• sundowner
      Chieftain
      • Nov 2017

Great deer and great story , congrats on both .

Comment

• Bigs28
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2016

Stud.... so im guessing the 2nd shot was fatal but he didn't know it yet? Probably hard to tell which bullet did what to the vitals.

Comment

• Samurai41A
          Unwashed
          • Jun 2020

I think all the shots after the first were fatal. I was just feeling rushed due to his location near our property line and thrown off by the lack of reaction.

Comment

• kmon
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2015

Glad you got him, great buck

Sometimes they just do not react as one might expect. I have seen deer shot with a 30-06 that showed no reaction until they dropped. Shot one with the 7mm-08 years ago that was hooking a bush at about 60 yards, at the shot he stopped, and took a couple hops and started walking off behind said bush for about 20 yards and collapsed.

One thing we discussed after one of the hunters shot a 350 bull elk with a 25-06 at about 300 yards, Bull just stood there so he hit him again and again, bull started walking off wobbled and fell over, all 3 shots were grouped nicely in less than 2 inches. Part of the lungs were liquid but the a lot of the front half of the lungs intact. Interesting thought he shot basically the same tissue with each shot he hit before that was all ready damaged not resulting in much more damage with shots 2 and 3.

Comment

• Kikn
              Warrior
              • Nov 2011

Nice buck!!

Don't feel to bad. I recently shot a doe with my .50 beowulf at about 90 yards. Shoot it with a 400 grain hawk bullet. Just behind the shoulder blew out both lungs and heart. Deer made a J turn and ran like it was never hit. Made it well over 100 yards away without a blood trail. Sadly I didn't find it until the next day. =(

I was dumbfounded a I've never seen anything run after getting hit with that gun before. And I surely thought that I had missed my shot.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Kikn View Post
                Nice buck!!

Don't feel to bad. I recently shot a doe with my .50 beowulf at about 90 yards. Shoot it with a 400 grain hawk bullet. Just behind the shoulder blew out both lungs and heart. Deer made a J turn and ran like it was never hit. Made it well over 100 yards away without a blood trail. Sadly I didn't find it until the next day. =(

I was dumbfounded a I've never seen anything run after getting hit with that gun before. And I surely thought that I had missed my shot.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• PA_Allen
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

Great buck! Congrats!

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2018

Shot three deer this year 12 gage copper slugs Remington / Barnes.

First, 75 yards heart shot. Ran 125 yards up hill, buckets of blood everywhere.

Second, spine dropped right there.

Third, 25 yards angled shot right shoulder. Shoulder wrecked, both lungs shredded. At the shot he jumped up and spun around in midair. When he landed I shot, and hit left rear thigh. Shredded it, bone chips everywhere. Gone, like brown lighting. Went down into a low area out of sight. At the location of the shot there was some blood about the size of my shoe. I walk his path for 50 yards no blood. Standing there like, "where did he go?", "did I hit him?". I see his white tail 50 yards off. Went 100 yards with only two legs, no lungs, no blood trail for first 50 yards. Some times deer can be tough.

Great buck! Congratulations!

Comment

• Kikn
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2011

I was actually looking to shoot a pig but my friend that owns the property said to take a doe so we'd have enough deer to steak out and grind up into hamburger...I think we had 8 deer and 3 axis at the time .

I was just trying to help illustrate, that deer are tough animals... and also like all creatures very fragile as well. Its a gut wrenching feeling when something doesn't go as expected.

Comment

• peak98
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2019

Beautiful buck, congratulations!

Comment

• kpswihart
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2016

Awesome buck.

Comment

• Wheelhorse