• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Coyote
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

Barnes 115gr ttsx tac-tx bt factory load info thread

Short story is this 115gr bullet in tac-tx line up designed to open up at much lower velocities of short barrel carbine AR's...they started with a 300 blackout tac-tx but now have the 6.5 Grendel 115gr offering, not to be confused with the regular 120gr ttsx which will be designed for normal faster 6.5mm cartridges.

Cannot find gel or recovered hunting data on this bullet yet. So anyone can get some lead into piggies etc. maybe can find this thread and start posting. I have been able to buy this ammo, just not use it yet. It's shorter overall length than hornady black, has a large poly tip, much larger than hornady, and it's crimped...for AR reliability apparently the whole ammo designed around AR use.

Rated at 2590 fps, .387 bc.

So far all i've been able to find is this and they killed a pile of hogs but zero follow up to show any recovered bullets etc. unsure why? https://shwat.com/barnes-bullets-vor...rendel-review/

We need to know more about this bullet and this ammo.
  • sundowner
    Chieftain
    • Nov 2017

Thanks for the info .

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

I got one box a few months ago, and shot it. Worked well on targets but no reloading components, which is what I would want.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

This is good news. I like that general wt. class for longer shots in LFP's.

Years back I sent some 105 grn. GMX's to ricsmall in Georgia. He dropped a deer @ 325 yds. He said that he had never seen meat coming out from entrance & exit hole before.

Nice to see more companies taking notice of what would work better for the medium speeds from the Grrr. I've been on this push for 11 years, with some help from forum members.

Contact all the bullet makers, ask for a something ....
        Last edited by sneaky one; 02-08-2021, 11:21 PM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
          Short story is this 115gr bullet in tac-tx line up designed to open up at much lower velocities of short barrel carbine AR's...they started with a 300 blackout tac-tx but now have the 6.5 Grendel 115gr offering, not to be confused with the regular 120gr ttsx which will be designed for normal faster 6.5mm cartridges.

Cannot find gel or recovered hunting data on this bullet yet. So anyone can get some lead into piggies etc. maybe can find this thread and start posting. I have been able to buy this ammo, just not use it yet. It's shorter overall length than hornady black, has a large poly tip, much larger than hornady, and it's crimped...for AR reliability apparently the whole ammo designed around AR use.

Rated at 2590 fps, .387 bc.

So far all i've been able to find is this and they killed a pile of hogs but zero follow up to show any recovered bullets etc. unsure why? https://shwat.com/barnes-bullets-vor...rendel-review/

We need to know more about this bullet and this ammo.
          Best way to find out the min expansion speed for that bullet is to call barnes. Their techs are perrty good at giving the details on their bullets.

Maker bullets are a good reloading component to substitute for the barnes bullets. Lil better bc levels and a much lower expansion speed limit.

But they hold their weight very well like the barnes bullets do.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

Comment

• BlogSarge
              Warrior
              • Nov 2018

Last edited by BlogSarge; 05-10-2022, 06:34 AM.

Comment

• diggler1833
                Bloodstained
                • Aug 2020

The ELD-M can be pretty good performers, but they are not as consistent as the SST. Their terminal results are more a happy byproduct, and not an intent.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2017

The arc may be fast enough with regular 80 gr ttsx even in sbr format? They may not need to design a more rapid expansion bullet? Unless someone wants to keep things above 100 gr then maybe. Agree it would be interesting to see what they come up with, but take your arc business to another forum will ya...the Grendel is better, that's what we talk about here.

Comment

• Scout175
                    Bloodstained
                    • Sep 2020

Shot a white tail doe with one of these 115s at the end of the season. Reloaded with AR-Comp: 2460fps out of a 20in AR. Chip shot- she was quartering to me 35 yards away. Bullet passed trough her just in front of her shoulder and out the ribs low on the other side right behind her heart. She ran maybe 20 yards and expired. Bullet missed her heart but must have hit a major artery leaving a wicked blood trail and pool of blood where she layed. Sorry, as expected, bullet not recovered. They are accurate in my rifle with consistent sub-moa at 100 yards. I like them. Hardly had any meat damage which was a plus. Picked up a couple of boxes straight from Barnes before they got bought out.

Comment

• KC Huntin
                      Unwashed
                      • Mar 2017

Bumping old thread looking for added data/results on game.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by KC Huntin View Post
                        Bumping old thread looking for added data/results on game.
                        Finally emerged from COVID-19 cave to test the Barnes 115 gr TAC-TX in gels Here are the initial results: On left, recovered from gel after impact at 1660 fps and 30" of penetration. On right, impact at 1940 fps and 22.5" penetration. Diameter of expanded petals was 0.51". I did not recover two shots

see this link for more info

Comment

• Ranchmanager
                          Bloodstained
                          • May 2022

Rivertown Munitions has Tac - TX in stock if you are looking for ammo

Comment

Working...
                          X