Helo hog hunting on the Texas costal plains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you use tracer be very careful not to start fires. If it hasn't rained in the past couple days I wouldn't even chance it. For those that haven't personally experienced it, you wouldn't believe how well tracer ammo will start fires in dry grass.

Comment

• txgunner00
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
      Well, I ran it by the wife yesterday, and she didn't seem to mind. She didn't even react much at all. I'm thinking it's a trap perhaps?LOL!

Guns, ammo, and magazines are covered, but I'll have to figure out what else me and my buddy will need.

I'm presuming helmet cams will be mandatory for starters. I'm thinking about ones from Contour so far, but I'll look around more before I order any.

We'll also need type 157 licenses I guess, and it looks like we can order those online.
      This outfitter provided the cameras but I would still bring you own. I intend to have one mounted to my rifle in addition to my head next time. The Contour cameras are good units. Their design is simple, easy to use and the tube shape is more adapted to a rifle mounted application. The GoPro Hero2 is what we used and it has more features such as a high speed shutter, WiFi, better sound and more accessories. It has quite a few factory mounting options and after-market gun mounts but it's a little more expensive and boxy. The picture from it is amazing. We played the full quality video on my BILs 52" TV and I couldn't believe how clean it was. I intend to get one soon.
      NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• txgunner00
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Schwag173 View Post
        If you use tracer be very careful not to start fires. If it hasn't rained in the past couple days I wouldn't even chance it. For those that haven't personally experienced it, you wouldn't believe how well tracer ammo will start fires in dry grass.
        Hell, I've started fired in places with just FMJ's. When I was a machine gunner my platoon kept a tally on how many acres we burned on bases across the country and overseas. It was in the thousands. One base in California, Ft. Hunter Liggett, hadn't been used in years prior to us using it for some training. The grass was 3 to 5 feet deep in most areas and even with no tracers we still sent it all up in smoke. By the time we left you only saw black in all directions.

This area we were hunting in is primarily pasture land and rice farms and it stays pretty wet. I'd still be cautious but this would be about the safest conditions you could us them in.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

• Variable
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Well, as has been my typical luck lately---- I'm now officially screwed. I have to buy a new roof for my house. The second shingle fell off last week, and after trying to put it back on I got a good look at the rest of my shingles. They're fried. The staples are pulling through etc.

I've been putting off this post and trying to figure out exactly how I'm going to crap out the worthless fiat paper dollars to do this and it looks like there isnt going to be any alternative but to take out a loan and go into further debt. First I had to put my dog down, now I'm not going to be able to hunt or do anything, and I'm now going to get to shell out a pile of money I'll have to borrow.

No pig hunting for me this year, and my luck it'll be banned by the time I'll ever get to try it. Oh yeah, that election thing will be happening this year too. Yay!
          Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
          We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• txgunner00
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

That sucks. Sorry about your misfortune. Something I'm confused about though... I though der leader was going to take care of all our financial woes for us. I'm beginning to think we may have been bamboozled.

Comment

We live in fire country -- wooden shingles are strongly discouraged here.

There are fire-resistant or fire-proof (fiberglass, etc.) versions available too. They tend to last longer (30 years) than wood as well.

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                That sucks. Sorry about your misfortune. Something I'm confused about though... I though der leader was going to take care of all our financial woes for us. I'm beginning to think we may have been bamboozled.
                Yeah, I'm going to get me some of those Obama shingles!LOL. Oh wait, they're predicated on hope and change... That probably means you put them on when the weather is good, and then "Hope" the weather doesn't "Change"!

Comment

• Variable
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                  We live in fire country -- wooden shingles are strongly discouraged here.

There are fire-resistant or fire-proof (fiberglass, etc.) versions available too. They tend to last longer (30 years) than wood as well.
                  Mine are just regular shingles (I'm not at all construction savvy), not the wooden ones. They are some kind of asphalt stuff. I've been reading a little bit ont he net about roofing, and they seem to warn about really long term shingle warranties. It seems the insurance companies are saying that shingles really only average out about 17 years on the typical house. It seems there are some class action lawsuits against some companies with big longevity promises. My house is 15 years old and they are pretty well toast after I actually went up there and looked at them. I know metal roofing is probably best, but I probably won't be able to afford that. I'll just have to see what kind of estimates I get and do the math from there. Home ownership really sucks sometimes!

Comment

• txgunner00
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Asphalt composition shingles. Yep, 20-25 year "warranties" are a joke for the most part. To bad you can't blame the damage on a hail storm or other bad weather.

Comment

So the only shovel-ready jobs are also shingle-ready? What comes to mind when we're talking about shovels and shingles, because I'm neck-deep in it. Wish I was closer to you Variable. I've helped shingle 3 roofs in my hood already, along with other neighbors. We take care of each other like that. Maybe a Grendel neighborhood real estate development is in order...

Comment

We went with lightweight concrete shingles -- in 1986 -- they are still there. The two leaks appear to have been the result of a 300+ lb plumber installing a rooftop solar water heater and the second the roofing contractor either neglected to mortar a ridgeline joint or the stuff fell out.

Almost any fireproof shingle will be heavier than the asphalt or wooden types, but well worth the effort if your house can handle the weight.

Comment

• Variable
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                          So the only shovel-ready jobs are also shingle-ready? What comes to mind when we're talking about shovels and shingles, because I'm neck-deep in it. Wish I was closer to you Variable. I've helped shingle 3 roofs in my hood already, along with other neighbors. We take care of each other like that. Maybe a Grendel neighborhood real estate development is in order...
                          Hee Hee, I wish! But nah, my roof is a real steep pitch. I thought about trying to do it myself, but I can't even lay on the thing, I just slide down. I'm totally incompetent at auto mechanics and this stuff too. I'm just going to have to pay the man and take it as stimulating the local economy.LOL. Thanks for the offer and sentiment though!

Comment

So what's first to go on the equipment exchange?

Comment

• Variable
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                              So what's first to go on the equipment exchange?
                              Thats why I'll be staying home and taking a loan!!! I'm not letting anything go yet!!!

Anything that goes will never get replaced at the rate I've been going lately. When the wife mentions selling guns I actually bark at her!

Comment

• bwaites
                                • Mar 2011

Sorry to hear that my friend! I too, have a "too steep to do it yourself" roof. 9-10 years ago we had a severe wind storm, and lost about 25% of the shingles which had been in place for less than 10 years on new construction, and the insurance company covered replacement minus a couple hundred bucks. We attempted bids from 5 companies, but only two were willing to do it, one of which specialized in steep pitch roofs. We actually went with them, and they did a great job. We haven't lost a shingle since, even in some 60-70 MPH storms.

We just had a new front porch added and I had the contractor check the job done back then. He was pretty happy with the shingles in place, and even decided to go with the same brand to use on the porch extension. He thought they should be good for another 10-15 years on our roof. That's fine by me!

Comment

Working...
                                X