Bovine Interruptus - Sow Down w Barnes TTSX 100 gr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Bovine Interruptus - Sow Down w Barnes TTSX 100 gr.

After a short foray into trying out the Sierra 85 gr. bullets that Dinny had provided for me, I have moved on to some TTSX 100 gr. bullets (again, via Dinny and his networking with Druid Hill Armory and Starline brass). I am behind on getting my vids out, but the rains are coming and will be working on them the next few days. Here is a dubious start, not for bullet performance, but for hunting in a busy field. Always need to be careful shooting around livestock and a stationary bull that was several yards off to the side just seconds before got curious and moved into my sight picture just as I was pulling the trigger. The hog went down, but that effectively put an end to the hunt.

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • sundowner
    Chieftain
    • Nov 2017

That would bring the shooting to a quick end alright .

Comment

• kmon
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2015

That was close call.

I would not have looked at the wound through that one either. Dead in the sun that long plus the buzzard poop NO THANKS

Comment

• JTPinTX
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2019

Man that is tough. I have had something similar before but not quite to that extreme. Definite pucker factor there.

That is one one good thing about having a scope with PIP capabilities though. You get the FOV on the main screen but can zoom with PIP for fine shots. Usually I find myself using PIP for the initial shot, transitioning to the main screen for running shots (I don't even think about it, I just do it). Then if I need to swap back to PIP for a further out shot I do. I leave my main screen on 3.5x and PIP on 7x, never turn it off, just leave it on all the time.

Comment

• Bjorn
          Bloodstained
          • Apr 2021

That was close. As soon as you shoot that bull, registered papers are going to show up establishing that it has won every blue ribbon from the County to the State Fair, and that it produces the best offspring ever.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2013

I actually ask my landowners about that from time to time. One to two grand is about it for the expensive livestock.

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

For that money you'd be dining out on backstraps for the next 6 months. Probably taste like an old boot.

One the stupidest things I've ever done was shoot a pair of eyes hiding under a log that everyone else in the ute thought was a fox, and I started to believe them. Even the colour of the eyes was fox - red, sheep are more green. "Quick, Shoot him Shoot him." Boom,... a sheep. They went awfully quiet and I was left to eat humble pie to the farmer who was nice about it. He wanted us there in the first place so was saying don't worry it was probably manky, away from the flock, something wrong with it. It's OK.

It wasn't OK and I will never listen to anyone else when the trigger puller again.

Comment

• Dinny
                Warrior
                • Jun 2016

I poured some pixie dust on those bullets. They only seek hogs. Cows are safe from them. LOL

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                  For that money you'd be dining out on backstraps for the next 6 months. Probably taste like an old boot.

One the stupidest things I've ever done was shoot a pair of eyes hiding under a log that everyone else in the ute thought was a fox, and I started to believe them. Even the colour of the eyes was fox - red, sheep are more green. "Quick, Shoot him Shoot him." Boom,... a sheep. They went awfully quiet and I was left to eat humble pie to the farmer who was nice about it. He wanted us there in the first place so was saying don't worry it was probably manky, away from the flock, something wrong with it. It's OK.

It wasn't OK and I will never listen to anyone else when the trigger puller again.
                  Tough lesson, but a good lesson.

Comment

• cwlongshot
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2018

Seems like its working pretty well.

Keep up the good work man. Remember sometimes it just takes a Bri!

CW

Comment

• Dinny
                      Warrior
                      • Jun 2016

Originally posted by cwlongshot View Post
                      Seems like its working pretty well.

Keep up the good work man. Remember sometimes it just takes a Bri!

CW
                      You Bris gotta stick together, huh?

Comment

• Msalm
                        Warrior
                        • May 2018

The 100gr Sierra HP is designated as a varmint bullet specifically for the 264 Win Mag and is supposedly a very decent game bullet at lesser velocities (handgun hunters). Might be another bullet to try out.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Msalm View Post
                          The 100gr Sierra HP is designated as a varmint bullet specifically for the 264 Win Mag and is supposedly a very decent game bullet at lesser velocities (handgun hunters). Might be another bullet to try out.
                          Last edited by VASCAR2; 05-28-2021, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                            Chieftain
                            • Sep 2013

I agree, the 100 grain Sierra varmint has enough mass and accuracy that it should prove more effective on hogs than the 85 grain SV.
                            The only thing I have tried less effective than the 85 gr. SV was Wolf Military Classic 100 gr. I am not sure the additional weight would make a whole lot of difference. I agree, it would be better, but the problem seems to be the construction of the bullet.

The Hornady 100 grain AMAX/ELD-M might be a good bullet on hogs even though it is not advertised as a hunting bullet.
                            This gets into one of my pet peeve areas. How a bullet is advertised doesn't really seem to matter. AMAX had quite the varied history of first being target only and not recommended for hunting to being recommended for hunting. ELD-M is not advertised for hunting, but hunters are using them in a variety of calibers. I have used the 123 gr. on hogs and haven't been impressed. Sadly, I have a bunch of it because it was all that was available for a while ... and then nothing was available.

Comment

Working...
                            X