• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

3 Boars with Grendel TTSX and 300 Win Mag Norma White Tail

Ben (Hunt TXhogs) and I did some hunting a couple of nights ago. I am still using Barnes TTSX 100 gr. bullets that Dinny provided for me with the help of Druid Hill Armory and Starline Brass.

After checking several properties, we came across our first hog in a field with fairly high grass/winter wheat/weeds. Part way through our stalk, we stopped to get video and figure our how much farther we needed to moved when he had the idea of scanning our surroundings (I was fixated on the target). Well, he spots another hog way left and behind us. So we devised a plan about which I was uncertain of the outcome. The only thing I was confident about was that we had specific directions of fire away from one another and that we would be safe. The plan? Advance on our hogs to shooting positions and then he would signal me with a red light to give me a 10 second warning. I would shoot just as soon as I heard his report. What could go wrong? He flashed the red light. However, my hog moved into higher grass and turned toward me during the 10 seconds. He fired and I fired about a quarter second later. His hog went down for good. Mine went down making noise and eventually got up to run. I managed to drop it on the run at 170 yards. Maybe not the best game plan, but for spur of the moment, the results turned out well. Less than an hour later, we killed a 3rd hog very close to where I dropped my original hog.

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • tdbru
    Warrior
    • Dec 2019

DNS,
    very interested in your analysis of the 100 TTSX at the velocity you're getting (almost exactly same as me). did you ever recover one yet? looks like you alluded to that for future vids. hoping that the velocity is enough to cause full expansion and petal peel back at normal (100 to 200 yards) hunting ranges.
    thanks again for some great vid's. on the 300 WM head hit that Ben had, was there anything left of the head? i guess that makes good practice with the big game hunting rifle, but the 6.5 Grrr seems to do as well and comes in at a lower price per round. on the other hand, with ammo and primers and powder etc. being unavailable at local sporting goods stores, i guess if a 300 WM is what you have ammo for these days, that's what you use, right?
    -tdbru

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2013

I have recovered 3 so far. One from this hunt and two from previous hunts. Either they pass through most of the time or they are buried down in the intestines where I don't like to search. I don't post the AnalySus videos because they are usually age-restricted and you have to prove your age to YouTube (either through YouTube account or Google account, but maybe there are other ways?).
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD4G9IJ5K1U&t=2s 12.41mm (greatest expansion)
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgL0LxPwkog&t=4s 12. 85 mm

Full expansion? Not really. Dinny and I have discussed this and both feel like this bullet is probably better suited for something a bit higher velocity.

The one from this hunt will be even less.

Comment

• tdbru
        Warrior
        • Dec 2019

DNS,
        the two you posted there, looked like they expanded to the point that the petals peeled back. i would have called that "full" expansion. none the less, thanks, good shooting. well done.
        -tdbru

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

tdbru, I am going to suggest you take a look at this thread, post #6 in particular
          https://www.65grendel.com/forum/show...or%20expansion.

I may be getting "full" expansion for the impact velocity, but because Grendel velocities are so moderate, the bullets are failing to attain their full expansion potential. They need more velocity. I don't want to see a bullet "fully" expanded to not quite 2x its original diameter. I want to see more. Where I am getting less than 13mm of expansion, Hunt TXhogs (my hunting partner) was getting over 20mm expansion (>3x) from Maker 85 gr. bullets. He was getting more velocity from his bullets and certainly got a LOT more expansion. In other words, if you want a bullet that is all copper and expands really well, the 100 gr. Barnes isn't cutting it at this velocity. That is why Dinny and I feel like this bullet is better suited to a higher velocity.

Comment

• mtnlvr
            Warrior
            • Feb 2019

DNS...another great vid. Dueling night time spot and stalks...looks like it worked out for you guys!

Question on Ben's setup. It looks like his 300wm is a lighter hunter type bbl. Has he said how the groups were affected by adding the suppressor with such a long skinny bbl? I'm looking to do something similar to my Tikka T3 Hunter in 270wsm but I'm concerned about the "thin" bbl.

Comment

• tdbru
              Warrior
              • Dec 2019

DNS,
              ok, now i see what you're meaning and intending when you say full expansion. thanks for the clarification. makes sense.
              -tdbru

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
                Warrior
                • Jan 2014

So..... I'm a bit of a FREAK when it comes to calibers, I compare it to riding a carousel - I'm on and off repeatedly but enjoy the ride much the same no matter which seat I occupy.

300 Win Mag - 150 grain Soft Point - moving at least 3240 FPS (I have a 26" barrel vs what the factory chrono used ~24"). This bullet weight is considered "light" for the caliber and there is a purpose for choosing it based on the game we are hunting. I am looking for violent eruption of the bullet while hoping to minimize over penetration. Usually the full pass through helps to draw the blood out quickly and have the animal expire soon after being hit BUT in this case if you drop a dump truck of energy on them I wouldn't think they are going to go very far.

The rifle is a lightweight stalker style full length barrel bolt action from an Italian company. I'll be honest I wasn't very happy with the barrel profile when I received it, the muzzle seems to have been cut for a small thread pitch (perhaps foreign specs) and then they applied a thread adapter for the US market to bring it up to 5/8x24" threads. I didn't have alot of confidence knowing the OSS Helix 7.62 is a porker in size and weight. As an aside the rifle is light weight due to the composite stock material and aluminum ALLOY receiver (w steel barrel) - there is some metallurgy involved to ensure long life function but the rifle is a switch barrel capable design - so maybe in the future I can run 7mm Rem Mag or 308 or 30-06 etc...

IMG_1094-2.jpg

As for the suppressor and accuracy, ordinarily I see groups tighten up when shooting suppressed for various reasons of which I am neither qualified to expound upon or care to know the science behind. I assumed that hanging a lot of weight on the end of a thin(ner) profiled barrel would be an issue.

3 shots at 100 yards w/o the suppressor

IMG_1095-2.jpg

3 shots at 100 yards with the suppressor

IMG_1096-2.jpg

and then preparing for a hog hunt and possible running shots, I jacked in rounds acquired target - pull trigger, and rack bolt and do again as quick as I can.

IMG_1108.jpg

So, maybe I got lucky but the streak continues for the OSS tightening up my groups on rifles.

P.S. the rifle is long and unorthodox however it still weighs less than someone elses rifle ( not naming names )

Comment

• mtnlvr
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2019

Nice to see the groups still improved even with the thin bbl and thread adapter. This gives me a bit of assurance that the 24" 270wsm should have a chance of maintaining groups after hanging a can on the end.

Comment

• sundowner
                    Chieftain
                    • Nov 2017

Another great video and info , thanks for sharing .

Comment

• Dinny
                      Warrior
                      • Jun 2016

The 100gr TTSX is a good bullet in the 6.5 Grendel while some bullets like the 90gr TNT and 123gr SST are great bullets for the 6.5 Grendel.

Thanks, Dinny

PS: we'll continue to test other bullets to see if we can expand the list of great bullets.
                      Last edited by Dinny; 05-25-2021, 01:10 AM.

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2018

How about the 115gr TTSX?

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Happy2Shoot View Post

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2014

^ Tac TX bullet NOT TTSX

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                              Chieftain
                              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Happy2Shoot View Post
                              I am killing hogs with the TTSX 100 gr. I would take it any day of the week over the Sierra Varminter 85s that I tried. However, I am really NOT impressed with the expansion of the bullet. I don't think a 115 gr. version will offer any expansion benefits unless they change the metallurgy or skiving. The 100 gr. seems to penetrate just fine. I would be afraid that the 115 gr. version would give you more penetration but less damage. More penetration won't matter all that much if the bullet has exited the body (talking deer and hog-sized game). In other words, if 115 gr. gives you the potential for 20" of penetration, but you have a deer that is only 14" wide, that extra 6" isn't damaging anything.
                              Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 05-25-2021, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X