Another Barnes TTSX 100 gr. Boar and Two More with SST 123 gr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Another Barnes TTSX 100 gr. Boar and Two More with SST 123 gr.

Had a good night last night hunting on a property I had not been on in a while. The landowner had not reported any problems, but my partner and I happened to spot hogs on his place when we cruised by the previous night and so I contacted him and got permission to hunt. The hunt went well.

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

This is the breakdown I do for some of my hunts on another YouTube channel. Usually, the material included is the bloody stuff, but because the landowner collects up these hogs for me, I didn't cut apart the hogs and so the video is pretty tame. It covers the shots and some really basic terminal performance data.

Comment

• Dinny
      Warrior
      • Jun 2016

I see that TTSX finally blossomed into the pretty flower we were looking for. Too bad it only happens at short range. Oh well, maybe the 115gr Barnes will become available again someday. Let's hope it will be a softer alloy.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• tdbru
        Warrior
        • Dec 2019

DNS,
        hogs must be a lot tougher than i would have imagined. i would have expected a pass through at that short of a range. looks like you are right, these 100gr. TTSX are designed for the 6.5CM/260Rem/6.5x55 kind of speeds. however if you can get close, as you often seem to be able to, they appear to do ok.
        thanks for sharing the results. good info.
        -tdbru

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

tdbru, had I taken a broadside shot, I certainly feel like that bullet would have likely exited....and then that data would be lost. So this turned out to be fairly informative. If possible, I will try to replicate the shot.

Comment

• ruesauw
            Bloodstained
            • Jul 2020

You are getting the same results that I did with the ttsx , I am using lehigh controlled chaos now with good results, thanks for sharing your experiences.

Comment

• sundowner
              Chieftain
              • Nov 2017

Great videos again DNS , thanks again on the info on the bullets , in April T took 3 boars 2 with the SST's and 1 with 90gr TNT .

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                Warrior
                • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Dinny View Post
                I see that TTSX finally blossomed into the pretty flower we were looking for. Too bad it only happens at short range. Oh well, maybe the 115gr Barnes will become available again someday. Let's hope it will be a softer alloy.

Thanks, Dinny
                could be, they appear to have larger poly tip and one must assume deeper cuts and thinner petals etc. as they are not just a ttsx...they are ttsx tac-tx bullets, which are designed to open up well at slower suppressed carbine speeds, down to 1400 fps...so double naught seems to be the ultimate guy to get his hands on these 115's...they are NOT the same bullet as the 6.5 100gr ttsx....the 100gr 6.5 ttsx is known in the big game world to be rare to recover, this is from most shooting creedmoors or larger...so they are maximum delayed controlled expansion bullets requiring impact velocities about where the grendel leaves the muzzle....the tac-tx should be the ideal hunting mono for grendel, it should open like that 85gr trex but penetrate much deeper due to the higher sd of 115gr

hope to one day see these 115's in gel or hogs soon

Comment

• Dinny
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2016

I would pay good money to get some of the 115gr bullets into the hands of Druid Hill Armory so he can load them for DNS.

PM me.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2013

I would gladly help with that !

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2017

oooh, settle down, getting me way too excited here

seriously though, can't imagine a better bullet tester than Double Naught Spy

Comment

• TexasBrad
                        Unwashed
                        • Jul 2019

DNS,

I see you shooting a bunch of hogs. Do you have any suggestions on bullets for deer? Shots will range from 50 to 150 yards out of 20" barrel for my Howa and 18" PSA AR. I used 100 grain TTSX last year on smaller hog and watched him run into the swamp after broadside heart-lung shot. It was target of opportunity.
                        Last edited by TexasBrad; 08-21-2021, 09:33 AM.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                          Chieftain
                          • Sep 2013

TexasBrad, if you don't do significant upper CNS damage with your shot, either directly (hitting spine or brain) or indirectly (hydraulic or hydrostatic shock) expect the animal to run until they bleed out or suffocate when then shuts down the CNS. NOTE: hydraulic and hydrostatic shock are not reliable variables for dropping animals in place. If it happens, it is a bonus and be glad. I have watched hogs shot with .45-70 and with .308 run away as well. There is a guy on Texas Hunting Forum that extols the superior power of the .308 for hogs, but is having trouble killing little shoats. Why? Because shot placement, trajectory through the body, and penetration depth are all critical factors. He is relying on power when he should be relying on anatomy and placing his shot correctly.

People say to shoot a hog behind the ear and it will kill it ever time. Nonsense. BEHIND the ear is neck muscle and no other vital structures. If you are shooting behind the ear, then you need to also be below the ear and inch or two, depending on the size of the hog, so that you can actually physically hit the spinal column. I have killed hogs that had healed "behind the ear" shots. I have had to finish off hogs that had been shot "behind the ear" and that were still very much alive, but stunned. It does work much of the time, but is not 100%. If you can shoot a hog "behind the ear" then you are good enough to shoot it in the brain.

You have a sample of 1, which is not a good sample, however, based on what I (and others) have figured out, TTSX bullets are not expanding very much at Grendel velocities. I know I won't be using them anymore for hogs.

You said you made a heart-lung shot on the hog. Cool. It is dead. However, it will likely have run anywhere from 30-100 yards (5-20 seconds) before collapsing. That is how long it took for the lack of blood to the brain or lack of oxygenated blood to the brain to finally shut down the CNS. It isn't necessarily a failure of the bullet. A heart-lung shot on a broadside hog isn't going to be anywhere near the spine or brain and so cannot be counted on to drop the hog in place. A high, double lung shot may clip the spine and anchor the hog, but not a heart-lung shot as the heart is quite low in the chest.

With that said, I have never shot a deer in my entire life. You probably went with the TTSX because you wanted to preserve as much meat as possible. I would suggest going with a softpoint. Better yet, there are plenty of deer hunting experts here to help you. Post a thread asking for suggesting. You will get a myriad good choices, I bet.
                          Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 08-22-2021, 11:17 PM.

Comment

• Old Bob
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2019

If you can find Federal 6.5 Grendel Fusion ammo with 120 gr. bullets, that's what I'd use for deer sized game. The fusion bullet will put 'em down quick. I've shot two Antelope with my 270 Winchester using 130gr. fusion bullets. Both were shot through the lungs with the off-side lung being liquefied & the aorta severed. Both went about four steps before dropping. The first one was about 150yds, the second was near 300yds. The exit wound on the first was a half-dollar sized hole. On the second Antelope the bullet hit a rib when exiting & made a massive gash that took out some of the meat on that off-side shoulder.
                            I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                              Chieftain
                              • Sep 2013

Comment

Working...
                              X