• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BVickery1974
    Warrior
    • Jun 2021

Hunting Ammunition

Handloading for the moment is no go for me. I spent my extra money on the rifle and scope. Next year is reloading gear.

That being said I am having trouble figuring out good hunting ammo. I did a search and hear conflicting reports. SST, no SST etc.

It is coming out of a 16" AR. Looking at Hog and Deer.
  • grendelnubi
    Warrior
    • Apr 2017

I dont believe you can go wrong with the SST. Nosler ballistic tips and 129 Accu Bond Long Range is another good choice. All of these are factory offerings.

Comment

• grendelnubi
      Warrior
      • Apr 2017

Comment

• BVickery1974
        Warrior
        • Jun 2021

Saw that, was interested but in some cases it being almost $5/rnd, I'd have to pass, though the NOsler prices were not THAT bad ($2.60/rnd).

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

SSTs tend to come apart and if you are meat hunting, you may be polluting more meat than you would like. So for deer, you might try some place like Druid Hill Armory. Unfortunately, they seem to do small ammo runs, but I picked up 100 rounds of Maker Rex 110 gr. all copper for $1.60 after shipping. You have to watch their website like a hawk to beat the others, however.

You can look on Ammoseek.com to see other options. People hunt with Hornady ELD-M 123 gr. ammo. It is not my favorite at all, but some people really like it. There, some Federal Fusion softpoint ammo shows up occasionally. That might be more ideal for deer. They currently have some SST listed. SSTs are one of my favorite rounds for hogs. At lower velocity impacts (shorter barrels and/or longer distances), SST performance looks more like a softpoint than a traditional expanded petal bullet and it still will have shed a good bit of weight.
          Kill a hog. Save the planet.
          My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• BVickery1974
            Warrior
            • Jun 2021

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
            SSTs tend to come apart and if you are meat hunting, you may be polluting more meat than you would like. So for deer, you might try some place like Druid Hill Armory. Unfortunately, they seem to do small ammo runs, but I picked up 100 rounds of Maker Rex 110 gr. all copper for $1.60 after shipping. You have to watch their website like a hawk to beat the others, however.

You can look on Ammoseek.com to see other options. People hunt with Hornady ELD-M 123 gr. ammo. It is not my favorite at all, but some people really like it. There, some Federal Fusion softpoint ammo shows up occasionally. That might be more ideal for deer. They currently have some SST listed. SSTs are one of my favorite rounds for hogs. At lower velocity impacts (shorter barrels and/or longer distances), SST performance looks more like a softpoint than a traditional expanded petal bullet and it still will have shed a good bit of weight.
            Thanks so much for weighting in. I am going to be limited at what I get at first. I checked my 'big' gun shop in the area that stocks ammo, nothing in 6.5, but one of the smaller places has like 5 boxes of Hornady Black (I know its target, but got something to at least shoot). I am tempted to drop some $$$ on a single stage press and reload what I can, but first would want to have some materials in my possession.

Comment

• Kosh65
              Warrior
              • Jan 2021

Comment

• peak98
                Warrior
                • Dec 2019

Comment

• Laman
                  Bloodstained
                  • May 2019

In my experience don't worry about SST's on deer. I have used SST's in various calibers on several dozen deer since the year they came out and never experienced a failure with usually complete pass throughs. The 123s in my Grendel have taken 6 deer in the last two years, all quick kills with massive internal damage. The ranges varied from 20 yards to 150. Like many bullets if you hit a large bone you will get massive splintering but I've never experienced a failure to penetrate. Now they might very well come apart on tough hogs, I'll bow to the experience of DNS on this. Unfortunately I might get to try this out as hogs have been seen on my lease for the first time in 30 years, drat!

Comment

• doofus65
                    Bloodstained
                    • May 2017

Hornady SST has been very accurate out of my Grendel rifles. I have also shot underhill 110gr copper bullets well. Those are fast. No matter the commercial cartridge, you will want to chrono a few of those while sighting to get an idea of what the ballistics would be for your rifle. I have shot AMAX but I don't believe those are for hunting (for meat animals).
                    Good luck out there

Comment

• BVickery1974
                      Warrior
                      • Jun 2021

I want to thank everyone for the information. So much to take in.

Comment

• BVickery1974
                        Warrior
                        • Jun 2021

I just dropped them a line. Stated looking for about 50 hunting rounds. Not sure which bullet so hoping they could help. Figure will hear back in a few weeks. Which is fine.

Wow. Got 100 rnds. on the way already.
                        Last edited by BVickery1974; 06-26-2021, 07:45 PM.

Comment

• peak98
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2019

Originally posted by BVickery1974 View Post
                          I just dropped them a line. Stated looking for about 50 hunting rounds. Not sure which bullet so hoping they could help. Figure will hear back in a few weeks. Which is fine.

Wow. Got 100 rnds. on the way already.
                          What kind/grain bullets did you go with?
                          peak98

Comment

• BVickery1974
                            Warrior
                            • Jun 2021

Originally posted by peak98 View Post
                            What kind/grain bullets did you go with?
                            peak98
                            He had 100 rnds of 120 gr. Speer Gold Dot. Considering todays prices,I think I got a steal.

Comment

• peak98
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2019

Originally posted by BVickery1974 View Post
                              He had 100 rnds of 120 gr. Speer Gold Dot. Considering todays prices,I think I got a steal.
                              Good deal, keep us up to date with how you new rifle shoots these please.
                              peak98

Comment

Working...
                              X