• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • traybill1
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2018

Antelope

I had a chance to hunt antelope on my way home from work yesterday the season opened Monday for me but didn't have a chance to even look for them till yesterday.
    Found them near an old equipment row feeding on new wheat. Walked out to a price of equipment like i was going to change a tire on it. Ranged it at 116 yards leaned over the grain box and shot. 123 grain eldx did the job she dropped right where she stood in the edge of the wheat stubble. This is the first I have used the grendel for big game.IMG_20210923_141326597~5.jpg
    Last edited by traybill1; 09-24-2021, 12:43 PM.
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Nice, even though I'm not particular to antelope meat they can be a lot of fun to hunt. What state are you in?

Comment

• BlogSarge
      Warrior
      • Nov 2018

Comment

• sundowner
        Chieftain
        • Nov 2017

Nice story , congrats on the antelope .

Comment

• kmon
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2015

Congrats on a fine speed goat.

The few antelope I have shot were all great eating but they were feeding mostly on wheat fields or alfalfa fields which might have something to do with that.

Comment

• traybill1
            Unwashed
            • Feb 2018

I'm in Wyoming the antelope here where I live eat wheat alfalfa and a little corn in other areas of wyoming they get more sage in their diet and can be a bit gamey but these are like eating lean lamb.

Comment

• BlogSarge
              Warrior
              • Nov 2018

Originally posted by traybill1 View Post
              I'm in Wyoming the antelope here where I live eat wheat alfalfa and a little corn in other areas of wyoming they get more sage in their diet and can be a bit gamey but these are like eating lean lamb.
              Let a steak sit with a few drops of soy on it for a day, then briefly introduce the steak to a hot grill. How can you go wrong?

Comment

• traybill1
                Unwashed
                • Feb 2018

I like the tenderloins with salt pepper sauted with fresh garlic onions and potatoes it's important not to over cook the meat or you will dry it out. I'm not a big fan of marinaded meat.
                Last edited by traybill1; 09-25-2021, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• PA_Allen
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

Congrats. Antelope meat is delicious. I have great memories hunting Pronghorn with my Grendel.
                  - PA

Comment

• traybill1
                    Unwashed
                    • Feb 2018

It gets a bad reputation and you here horror stories about it not being very good but in my experience with it is if it's properly handled and prepared it is very good meat.

Comment

• BlogSarge
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2018

Originally posted by traybill1 View Post
                      It gets a bad reputation and you here horror stories about it not being very good but in my experience with it is if it's properly handled and prepared it is very good meat.
                      This right here is the key. How the meat is handled between killing and cutting can make a whole lot of difference.

Comment

• traybill1
                        Unwashed
                        • Feb 2018

really that's the key to getting good meat whether it's wild or domestic

Comment

• traybill1
                          Unwashed
                          • Feb 2018

really that's the key to getting good meat whether it's wild or domestic

Comment

• Klem
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by BlogSarge View Post
                            This right here is the key. How the meat is handled between killing and cutting can make a whole lot of difference.
                            Add to that how stressed the animal is. Quick kills where they don't know it's coming cuts down the adrenaline dump. Adrenalin and lactic acid from running and struggling affects things like taste, tenderness and how long you can keep it.

Same with fish. You need to bleed them as quick as possible and some fish like sharks need to be gutted quick smart.

Comment

• BlogSarge
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2018

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                              Add to that how stressed the animal is. Quick kills where they don't know it's coming cuts down the adrenaline dump. Adrenalin and lactic acid from running and struggling affects things like taste, tenderness and how long you can keep it.

Same with fish. You need to bleed them as quick as possible and some fish like sharks need to be gutted quick smart.
                              Solid points Klem. A good, quick kill limits the adrenaline dump.

Comment

Working...
                              X