• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rufjustis
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2020

Doubling Up

Dog 9-26-21.jpgBoar 9-26-21.jpgBoar1 9-27-21.jpgBoar2 9-27-21.jpg

Went Saturday night and the landowner had gathered half his corn, saw one hog in the stalks right at the edge of the ungathered corn. Got to within 75 yards, by walking down the edge of the field, but the area where it was at had a lot of stalks that weren't broken all the way down. When I finally got the shot, I guess I either pulled it a bit or else hit one of the stalks and caused it to go off just a tad. Hog went down on its knees, wheeled and went right back into the unpicked corn...lost hog. I walked around the perimeter of the field looking for sign but never found anything. Alone, I wasn't going in the corn for a wounded hog. Next target of opportunity was a coyote that came out of the fencerow and went into a large area of cogon grass beside the field. I could see just enough of his image flickering through the grass to follow him. Finally caught a little opening and made the shot. He did some coyote cartwheels and made it back into the fencerow and onto the adjoining property...lost dog. My motto is, no picture it doesn't count, so I figured that was then end of the night. Made my way on back to where I entered the field, which is up on a ridge, and turned to give it a final look. I saw another coyote come through a fencerow and make a diagonal line across away from me. I figured he may be circling to get the wind in his favor and come out where I might get a shot. Sure enough he was, as about 10 minutes later he popped out at what turned out to be 127 steps from me. Dropped him in his tracks. Turned on my light and walked to him, took my picture and stood there shining my light around. When I turned it off and picked up my rifle to look around, what did I see but another hog. Made a stalk and got to within 100 yards, I forgot to step it off, and dropped him where he stood. So, Saturday night turned out good after all..

Monday night I went back and the farmer had gathered the rest of the corn. Standing right out in the middle was a hog. I could only get as close as the edge of the field because of all the stalks. When I got the shot he was dead in his tracks. Turned on the light and stepped off 175 steps, got my picture and looked around a second before turning the light off. Picked up my rifle and had no sooner looked down the field till I saw the other come out into the field. Let him walk on toward me till he turned broadside and started to feed. First shot put him down and then he came up running. It took another couple hits before he went down. I figure the first shot was a bit over 100 yards. No guessing was to the others but the he wound up a couple hundred yards away and had run about 3/4 of the way around me when he fell.
  • sundowner
    Chieftain
    • Nov 2017

Great story , thanks for sharing .

Comment

Working...
    X