Which of these two optics would you use on a hunting 6.5G?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m796rider
    Warrior
    • Jul 2011

Which of these two optics would you use on a hunting 6.5G?

I have a 16" 6.5G carbine that I'd like to use for hunting whitetail, feral pigs, and maybe even wolves (if DNR ends up allowing this).

I have two scopes I can use:

(1) Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40 TMR reticle with Firedot, 1/10 mil knobs

(2) Nightforce 2.5-10x32 illuminated mildot reticle, 1/10 mil knobs, zero stop

I'm sort of drawn to the Leupold because the reticle is very bold and the Firedot seems to allow for very fast shots inside PBR for my 100 yard zero. The reticle is in mils and matches the 1/10 mil knobs, and the objective is bigger. However, I really like the NF for its precision capabilities, legendary build quality, and zero stop. I'm not all that much of a glass snob, so I could take either one in terms of pure glass quality.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Here are images of my rifle (VX-R on top, NF on bottom):

I would almost certainly opt for the Leupold you described. If you were perched on a stand in a known-distance-range sort of environment I might reconsider but the simplicity of that Leupold will win out over the mildot reticle. Just practice with the Leupold enough that a) you know what the bullet drop is and b) you know what things look like through the reticle and can therefor quickly judge approximate range. My Grendel will bear a 2x7 Leupold VX-II, also in an LT-104 mount like those shown above.

Comment

If you're shooting within a 250yd PB Zero, I would opt for the Fire Dot. If you're going to come across some 300-400yd shots, I would dial with the NF with fine-tuned dope.

Comment

I have the 2-7 VX-R with the Ballistic Firedot on my 458 Socom and the NF 2.5-10x32 with NP-1 & Zero Stop on my 6.5 Grendel. For moving targets I like the VX-R, its quicker on target and the bold reticule with daylight visible dot really grabs the eye.

For more precise aiming & stationary targets the NF gets the nod.
        John

Comment

• usmc1371
          Warrior
          • Aug 2011

does the dnr where you live dictate on how you set up your rifle?

Comment

I would use the TMR reticle. I have a couple of Leupolds with that reticle, and when I use it in conjunction with my Exbal ballistics progam, the program runs the impact point for each of the 10 hash marks on the reticle. It looks something like this:

X hair = 100
            bar 1 = 136
            bar 2 = 167
            bar 3 = 212
            bar 4 = 236
            bar 5 = 258
            bar 6 = 297
            bar 7 = 341
            bar 8 = 392
            bar 9 = 428
            bar 10 = 517

Of course the impact points change for each load, and cartridge, but you get the idea. If I want to shoot something at 267 yards, I would hold bar #5 just a wee bit high. Although not as precise as dialing up the elevation changes, it is far faster when time is an important factor.

I place a printed version of the impact points on the rifle so I can easily refer to it. I have one chart with come ups for every 25 yards, and then the reticle impact points. In my shooting kit, I keep a much longer version that shows the impact point for each quarter minute of angle out to about 750 yards for target rifles, less for closer range rifles like the 5.56.

Comment

• CPT.CRAZY
              Warrior
              • Feb 2012

I would go with the firedot, just for the speed of picking up the sight picture.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X