• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Nosler Partition 125s On Hogs - General Observations

partition reduced.jpg

I got a chance to test out a bunch of these on some hogs (n=21 recovered). I know these have been around forever and that people love them for various reasons. I am just sharing my observations. These bullets are known to be deep penetrators and this certainly appeared to be true.

The ammo I shot was loaded by Druid Hill Armory by request. Dave at DHA ran them with powder on hand (don't know which one) and said it was not optimal and that he thought he could get more velocity with a different powder, but this is what we had to work with at this time (shortages). The muzzle velocity from my rifle was 2450 fps (I think if was 2453 on the day of testing, but 2450 is close enough). I cut open most of my hogs in an attempt to examine wound channels and to look for bullet fragments, aided by using a pinpointer metal detector which is good for anything within an a couple of inches of the sensor, but not good for finding deep fragments.

Hogs were shot from 50 or 60 yards out to 240 yards in distance. I shot lengthwise, broadside, and quartering. I hit and I missed hitting bone and heavy bone. The deepest recorded penetration was 24" (lengthwise shot, not hitting a lot of bone) and I think the most shallow penetration of known trajectory through the body was 13". Most of the time, however, the bullets flew right through the hogs, particularly on broadside shots.

The front portion of the bullet (forward of the partition) appears to be the sacrificial portion that was commonly destroyed to some extent. In an ideal situation, the exposed lead of this portion of the bullet flattens, expands, and erodes as the copper petals peel back. This starts to happen VERY quickly, sometimes being evident with a permanent wound cavity of about 1/2" starting in the muscle just under the skin. Over the next 6-8" the wound cavity seems to bloom aggressively out to about 2" in diameter of obvious damaged tissue and with a permanent wound cavity upwards of an inch in size in several cases. As velocity is lost along with material from the front portion of the bullet, the wound cavity collapsed down to projectile size and the remaining projectile often leaves the body. I had several instances of the exit hole in the hide being sharply defined (cookie cutter hole) and usually when this was the case, the large wound cavity extended to just under the skin.

For all but a couple of the bullets recovered, I should have recovered the lead core from the front portion of the bullet as there was no exit. I simply could not find the lead core. I assume the lead core to be at least partially intact because the cup of the front portion of the bullet was not completely flattened away and so I don't believe the core was eroded into oblivion. In one or two instances, the lead core left the body (exit wound), but the rest of the bullet failed to exit.

Only a couple of the recovered bullets looked like the stereotypical, uniformly expanded/flattened gel tests that seemed to keep nose forward penetration. The others seemed to have tumbled at some point as evidenced by the petals being first bent back, and then apparently being re-bent forward again. Tumbling occurred after expansion. Tumbling could be due to numerous causes including what the bullet hit while going through the body or a shifting of weight distribution where the butt end swung around as a result (loss of weight on front end, destabilization, and the now comparatively heavy butt swings around).

In talking with Dinny and in looking at Nosler's performance data, I don't doubt that the results would be somewhat different with more velocity. There would likely be more expansion and the cups opening fully to the partition which was not seen in any of the recovered bullets. So maybe the results here are more like shooting hogs out at another 100 yards farther away if you are getting, say, 2600 fps at the muzzle.

I don't think I had a single hog that dropped dead on impact with a non-CNS shot, so no apparent hydrostatic shock benefit. Again, this may be a velocity issue. I did have a couple of hogs drop with upper thoracic CNS shots that did have to be finished off with and additional shot. Cervical spinal shots produced instant kills as expected.

While my sample is small, I had a couple of hogs that when hit with a poor shot were able to run and endure several more shots before finally dropping. That isn't completely unique with the bullet. If you shoot a hog in a location that does not produce significant upper CNS damage, you can expect the hog to run and once the adrenaline dumps, they must either bleed out, suffocate, or be mechanically broken down before they stop. This may be a sampling issue, but between these and some of the other hogs I shot, I got the impression that the hogs were able to endure the damage a little better than with some other bullets I have tried.

I had one bullet that failed to expand. This was from a hog shot multiple times and so I have no idea at what distance the hog was hit with this bullet, so I don't have an estimate on the velocity. I don't know if this was a freak glancing hit on a given bone or if maybe the bullet already hit broken bone fragments that somehow damaged the tip and prevented expansion. What is apparent is that the tip was damaged and the bullet seems to have twisted and tumbled (bullet is twisted and laterally compressed).

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS
    I can certainly see why deer hunters like this bullet. There is a very high probably of getting an exit wound even on larger sized bodies, hence aiding the creation of blood trails for tracking. I certainly would not suggest that this bullet performed poorly. For the most part, it seemed to do exactly as the claims suggest and there is nothing wrong with that. For me personally, this bullet did okay. For my hunting purposes, I like something a little more internally destructive and have no need for exit wounds, but that is my preference and not a shortcoming of the bullet. I would have no problem using this bullet again for hunting hogs, but might be inclined to adapt my shooting to take advantage of its deep penetrating character with more quartering shots.
    Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 01-03-2022, 03:01 PM.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • lazyengineer
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2019

Thank you for this excellent testing and write up sir! Very useful to see, and frankly, considerably more rigor of testing and lower bias than most reviews.

Love your write-ups and video's.

My own take-away; probably not the first-choice bullet for my interests.
    4x P100

Comment

• tdbru
      Warrior
      • Dec 2019

Thank you DNS. Well done. Good observation reporting.

based on the 6.5mm 140 partition out of a 6.5x55 on deer hit too high (went through 6 vertebra) and expanded back to the partition and lost the front core, I'd say the observation about not enough velocity for the impact speed seems spot on with these 125s coming out at 2450. On the other hand, they killed hogs.

I suspect they're designed for the mid case size 6.5s (6.5x55 Swede, 260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor) speed. That they seemed to work reasonably well out of the 6.5 Grendel is, to me, a testament to their versatility.

I understand the issue DHA is having. I too am working with reloading with what components I happen to have on hand, even if non-optimal as well.

Nosler also makes a 100gr. Partition. They might perform more optimally out of the 6.5 Grendel since they could be driven even faster. Since there are no feral hogs out this way, I wouldn't be able to test that hypothesis out.

thanks again for your keen observations and hard work.
      -tdbru

Comment

• sundowner
        Chieftain
        • Nov 2017

As always thanks for the info DNS .

Comment

• EastTNHunter
          Warrior
          • Jul 2021

Comment

• gwtx
            Warrior
            • Feb 2019

Good article, Thanks. I agree with you on the lack of a blood trail. I don't track'em if they run far enough that I can't see where they went. Usually let the buzzards find'em for me the next morning. I prefer to see' em drop in their tracks. Keep up the good work, much appreciated.
            When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.

Comment

• Bjorn
              Bloodstained
              • Apr 2021

Good and interesting report. Partitions are over 70 years old and are still going strong. That bullet is still the favorite of many elk and bear hunters.

Just curious, DNS, what is your favorite round for hogs? Let's say all rounds cost the same and ammo is readily available at your nearest brick and mortar store in whatever configuration you want. What would you pick off the shelf?

Comment

• outbreaker
                Warrior
                • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
                Good and interesting report. Partitions are over 70 years old and are still going strong. That bullet is still the favorite of many elk and bear hunters.

Just curious, DNS, what is your favorite round for hogs? Let's say all rounds cost the same and ammo is readily available at your nearest brick and mortar store in whatever configuration you want. What would you pick off the shelf?
                I have been killing wild hogs for close to 40 years. The answer to your question requires more information.

Where do you plan on shooting them?

I have killed them with everything from .22lr and 7.5 birdshot to the .300 RUM.

If you shoot them in the head ( only place I shoot them if eating them) any centerfire cartridge will work. .22 LR will work on young ones. I have killed 3 with headshots while quail hunting with 7.5 birdshot at about 1-2yds.

If you are heart/lung shooting them to recover my favorite is the 6.5 Grendel and 120gr NBT. I have also used 6mm Rem, .308 Win, 300 RUM, .303 British and .30-06.

If you are gut shooting them to let them run off and die so you do not have to worry with them, again any centerfire will work.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by outbreaker View Post
                  I have been killing wild hogs for close to 40 years. The answer to your question requires more information.

outbreaker, as much as I enjoyed your pedantic response to the query, "Just curious, DNS, what is your favorite rounds for hogs?" I really think that I am more than capable of answering that question myself. Bjorn has seen my videos. He knows how I hunt. He and I have exchanged information in the past and I believe I fully understood his question and he will fully understand my answer.

Bjorn, there are four rounds that please me as they do the kind of destruction on soft tissue that I like to see. This is all from rifle length barrels on shots typically inside of 200 yards...

Hornady SST 123 gr. This round just plain works well and I have not had any accuracy issues with it as others have.

Federal Speer TNT 90 gr. This does as good of a job as the SST 123 gr., but with less material and a higher velocity which makes leading hogs a tad easier.

Druid Hill Armory Maker Rex 110 gr. This round really surprised me. You get all the destruction without lead contamination. Sooner or later I think we will be going to lead free bullets and this is one that I don't think of as being a compromise.

Precision Firearms Berger VLD-Hunting 130 gr. Crazy, over-the-top destruction, and did NOT perform as advertised. My major dislike of this round is that it is comparatively slow (but appropriate for the bullet weight).

If I had my druthers, it would come down to TNT as a lead choice or Maker Rex as a non-lead choice. I would not feel hamstrung by either one or feel a need to place my shots differently because I am using them. All of my choices are what I consider to be some of the most forgiving ammo when it comes to shot placement, which tends to matter most when dealing with runners.

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2018

nm

Comment

• JTPinTX
                      Bloodstained
                      • Sep 2019

DNS, I have about 100 of the 125 Partitions I have had on my shelf for years. I think originally my dad bought them for a 260. I have kept meaning to try them in the Grendel but never got around to it. After reading your review I probably won't waste the powder. Not that it doesn't sound like they would work in a pinch, but I have other bullets that are working well for me already and I'm not in a bind. Thank you for the thorough review and writeup.

I agree on the 90 TNT. Not that you need my confirmation, I know you don't. But I'll throw it out there anyways. I have shot quite a few of those in one of my Grendel rifles and to me they perform much better than they should on pigs considering what they are. Due to the way I hunt I really like the fact that they don't seem to bounce so bad on misses as some other things, yet can get deep enough to create some good internal damage when needed. In my other Grendel I had mainly been shooting the 95 VMAX and getting good results with it until they became nearly impossible to find as component bullets. I have a stash of a few hundred that I am hoarding and have put back. In the interim I bought a whole bunch of the now discontinued Sierra 85 HP. They are very accurate and work very well on coyotes. On pigs though they are for sure softer than both the 90 TNT and the 95 VMAX. Seems I either kill pigs spectacularly with them or tend to need a follow up or two. My opinion on the Sierra is that it probably pushes that lightweight varmint bullet concept a bit too far, and are a bit too soft.

My needs are possibly a bit different than others in that I need a bullet that performs equally well on both coyotes and pigs. It seems on any given night I could be focusing on either one. I might not even know for sure which I will be doing until I get out and see what is responding that night. IMO a fair number of good pig bullets are lacking when it comes to coyotes and just flat don't open fast enough to anchor coyotes quickly. Coyotes put a premium on 200-250 yard accuracy and quick energy dump. Good pig bullets need a wound cavity that will go moderately deep and occasionally break bone. Finding that right blend takes lots of shooting and testing, which you do well.

Comment

• 65GbySeven
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                        outbreaker, as much as I enjoyed your pedantic response to the query, "Just curious, DNS, what is your favorite rounds for hogs?" I really think that I am more than capable of answering that question myself. Bjorn has seen my videos. He knows how I hunt. He and I have exchanged information in the past and I believe I fully understood his question and he will fully understand my answer.

Bjorn, there are four rounds that please me as they do the kind of destruction on soft tissue that I like to see. This is all from rifle length barrels on shots typically inside of 200 yards...

Hornady SST 123 gr. This round just plain works well and I have not had any accuracy issues with it as others have.

Federal Speer TNT 90 gr. This does as good of a job as the SST 123 gr., but with less material and a higher velocity which makes leading hogs a tad easier.

Druid Hill Armory Maker Rex 110 gr. This round really surprised me. You get all the destruction without lead contamination. Sooner or later I think we will be going to lead free bullets and this is one that I don't think of as being a compromise.

Precision Firearms Berger VLD-Hunting 130 gr. Crazy, over-the-top destruction, and did NOT perform as advertised. My major dislike of this round is that it is comparatively slow (but appropriate for the bullet weight).

If I had my druthers, it would come down to TNT as a lead choice or Maker Rex as a non-lead choice. I would not feel hamstrung by either one or feel a need to place my shots differently because I am using them. All of my choices are what I consider to be some of the most forgiving ammo when it comes to shot placement, which tends to matter most when dealing with runners.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                          Chieftain
                          • Sep 2013

Definitely prefer the 123 gr. SSTs over the 129s for flat out killing hogs. The 129s are slower (which I don't like as much) and then tended to perform for me much like a soft point, compressing and expanding on impact. In that capacity, I thought they did very well. Also, I don't recall them shedding much weight and generally staying together better than the 123s. . I think they would be a better choice over the 123s if you are meat hunter, but if you are just wanting to kill hogs, I like the SSTs better.

Comment

• xlcc
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2016

It would be nice to see some performance tests on the 100 gr Nosler partions.They seem like a good weight for the Grendel as the partion will only let the bullet disintigrate so far.
                            Keep up the good work DNS.I always enjoy your reports.

Comment

• Goochylogic
                              Warrior
                              • Sep 2016

Comment

Working...
                              X