• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Hogs in Ranch Traffic and at Long Distance

I haven't posted anything new in a while. Still killing hogs, but a lot of the work looks like the rest of the work. Once in a while things get interesting and I thought this video had a couple of interesting hunts.

The first hunt is in a large, open field that is lined with trees on the east side along which the landowner has placed a series of hay rings for his cattle. The hogs often move through the area as the hay around the hay rings and manure on the hay conceal insects and such underneath and the hogs will root through it for the bugs. Well of course the cattle hang out there as well and it makes for a bit of a tough shooting situation.

The second hunt was a bit of a surprise. I drive into the middle of this property to right a high point for scanning a few hundred acres. I generally drive in with lights off and using NV to see, but stop every so often along the way to scan with thermal. I stopped 200 yards from the peak for a scan and saw nothing, and when I crested the peak at a gate and scanned, there was a hog very close, got spooked, and ran away. I shot it on the move at long distance (for me). It ran a short ways and collapsed and I finished it off.

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • Popeye212
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2018

Nice thanks for posting that.

Comment

• sundowner
      Chieftain
      • Nov 2017

Great video .

Comment

• tashley680
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2014

Excellent shooting and great video as always DNS!

Comment

• Kosh65
          Warrior
          • Jan 2021

DNS; I hope you never stop doing what you do. Your videos are quite entertaining to say the least. Thanks

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2013

Kosh, I am pleased that you are entertained, actually quite flattered. Thank you.

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Not only entertaining but educational, I also look forward to your Carpe Analysus videos!

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                Administrator
                • Feb 2011

Good stuff, thanks for posting! Interesting to see how you have to deal with cattle in the mix.
                :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                  Good stuff, thanks for posting! Interesting to see how you have to deal with cattle in the mix.
                  Every herd has its own personality. Some ignore me(us). Some follow me. Some get absolutely guano crazy and ping pong across the pasture because I am out there on foot. Some will slowly walk out of the way. Some will run in the direction I am going, but stay more than 50 yards from me and if I change direction, they will change direction as well. Some, like this group, stay pretty calm until I get too close.

Generally speaking, I don't have a problem with shooting around cattle. That is to say, I don't mind shooting by the cattle or between them, but not too close. However, I don't like shooting with cattle down range of the hogs. I would prefer the hogs to be somewhat behind the cattle such that a deflected shot does not deviate into a cow or that a missed shot doesn't skip off the ground and hit a cow down range.

Comment

• xlcc
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2016

Tricky shooting with all those cows nearby.

Comment

• shooter545
                      Warrior
                      • Aug 2012

Nice work! Love the videos.

Comment

• tracker12
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2017

Excellent as always. How do you like the scope vice a Pulsar?
                        AR's make shooting fun again!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                          Chieftain
                          • Sep 2013

Geez, what a huge question! Every brand of thermal I have used has some advantage and disadvantages. They have some genius design aspects and EVERY thermal scope I have tried usually has one or more completely boneheaded features that you have to wonder what medications the engineers were on the day that they put them into the designs.

I like my 4.5x 60mm Trijicon just fine over Pulsar namely because I manage to operate in some large fields and I need all the magnification help I can get...but that's me.

So do you have specific questions or just wanting to know about brand issues?

Comment

• ruesauw
                            Bloodstained
                            • Jul 2020

good shooting, thanks for the video !

Comment

• JTPinTX
                              Bloodstained
                              • Sep 2019

I absolutely agree with DNS I would rather shoot between cows and have them closer vs having them off down range somewhere. Once a bullet bounces they can do all kinds of crazy things, go directions that are totally unpredictable.

Comment

Working...
                              X