• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JTPinTX
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2019

Pre-planting pig thinning, and the 85 Sierra HP

Of course I never really quit shooting pigs but the last 3 weeks or we have started getting serious about thinning numbers down. Pigs are hungry with not much to eat which makes them lots easier to hunt. Planting season for peanuts will be here in another 4-6 weeks so the time is right to really get after them. Some we have been killing on old peanut ground where there are still nuts out there that got missed during harvest. Some we have been killing out in cotton patches where they are rooting up nutgrass, or eating the wheat seed that was supposed to be a cover crop. Of course we are in a serious drought so a lot of the wheat never came up, it just sat there. Helicopters have been flying a bunch too so that is cutting down numbers and scattering pigs. Still plenty to kill and lots of work to do though.

Last year I bought 800-1000 of the Sierra 85 HP bullets. They have worked very well for me on coyotes, and not bad at all on pigs. Like most bullets if you put them where they need to go they work great, and if you don't then just like anything, the pigs are going to run. I have no complaints with them though. Last week I dropped a 279 lb sow in her tracks with one shot, she barely twitched. But I shot her in the sweet spot, so there is that.

Anyways, 21 pigs confirmed in less than 3 weeks. Me and my 14 year old daughter stalked 600 yards and killed 5 one night, with a 231 lb boar. Killed 4 the next night with a friend, couple of big sows in that bunch, 2 of them 200+. We didn't weigh any of those since we were in his truck but I weigh enough pigs I can tell when they crack 200. Then we killed a lone boar, maybe 175 lb. Took a new night shooter with me last week and we got into two nice sounders, killed 9 that night. One of those went 279 lbs. This weekend killed a nice old boar. He weighed 203 but his teeth were totally wore out, cutters broke off at the gums. Just in general poor health. I wish we could have killed him in his prime I bet he would have been good.

Enough talk though I will post up some pictures. All of these were killed with a Grendel. Most with the 85 Sierra, but some with a 100 ELDM and some with a 123 SST.

Me and my daughter:

• JTPinTX
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2019

Me and a farmer friend I help cull pigs with:

Comment

• lazyengineer
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2019

Awesome! Thanks for the ppost. I too have a bunch of those 85 gr, and kind of had written them off as hog food, based on some of the other posts.
      4x P100

Comment

• JTPinTX
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2019

Lazyengineer:

Those 85's don't dig deep, I won't pretend they do. If I have a bad angle I know I will probably have to shoot them twice. But you slip them in a critical spot and they will drop pigs quick. I will post some videos here in a bit.

Comment

• JTPinTX
          Bloodstained
          • Sep 2019

Here are a couple lone boars and some quick video clips. The lone boars me and my partner always count and do a double shot.

Comment

• sundowner
            Chieftain
            • Nov 2017

Nice shooting .

Comment

• JTPinTX
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2019

This first video is the 279 lb sow and you can see how hard she drops. Partner shot a small boar on initial shot as well. Then it gets ugly though. I just couldn't get my lead on that one making the sweeping run. Real quick they got in front of the feed lot full of cows and we had to stop shooting.

Next we got into a real crazy situation. Thought we were stalking a single pig in the tall grass on the edge of a field. Then I saw another napping off to the side, but I wasn't 100% sure it was a pig. The plan was I was going to hold on the one I wasn't sure of while my partner shot the first one, and if mine moved and I could confirm I would shoot mine. Well, his moved back in the grass and we had to wait, and I swung my gun over his way to look. All of a sudden his stepped out and he said "I'm shooting!" So I had to hit record and swing back to mine as fast as I could but didn't quite get there before he shot. Missed the first shot but rolled the second. The next thing was when he did shoot there was a whole bunch of pigs in the grass we had not seen the whole time we were watching. They came boiling out of the grass at a dead run. Took him totally off guard and he started blazing away, he didn't hit any more until he settled down. But then he made some nice long shots. I was opposite. I shot good off the start, but then got a little pig running out through the cotton stalks that I could not get put down. I do think there I was having a problem with those 85's hitting stalks and getting deflected/coming apart. I have watched that video a bunch and for sure can see two that were deflected, one bad. Ended up with 7 confirmed out of that bunch though.

His gun:

My gun:

Comment

• JTPinTX
                Bloodstained
                • Sep 2019

This was from my gun with me and my daughter. I put down 4, she put down 1, and I also hit two of the runners pretty hard. That part is where that 85 could do quite a bit better. Shooting running pigs in the back end going away is not something it excels at. Most of those get away. It is a tradeoff though. The way we shoot and hunt I do not like bullets that bounce off the ground any more than necessary. Bullets that dig deep ricochet bad. It is a compromise that I make.

Here is from the next night when me and my partner shot 4 big ones. First shot I actually hit the wrong pig, I meant to shoot the bigger one. Not sure exactly what happened there. I must have flinched right, gave him a haircut and earholed the one behind him. Where we were shooting they could get away quick. It was over real fast. There was a big one that both me and my partner got 2-3 rounds each in and he still got away. Some of those were 85's, some of those were 123 SST's.

Here is a coyote at 225 yards I killed with the 85 HP.

Comment

• 204 AR
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2015

Man that looks like fun. I got into thermal this winter and have laid down some coyotes but hogs are on my bucket list for sure. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Bottomfeeder
                    Bloodstained
                    • Mar 2021

Nice shooting! I bet those rooters do lots of damage to peanut fields

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                      Chieftain
                      • Sep 2013

Nothing like some good hog kills! Very cool. Excellent on you taking your daughter as well.
                      Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                      My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• tdbru
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2019

JTP,
                        thinking about your comment on running 85gr. Sierra due to ricochet concerns, yet knowing that with some angles and critters, penetration will be lacking. Have you thought about the 100gr. Sierra Varminter?? It's also meant to fragment on contacting stuff to reduce ricochets, but, with a little more mass should penetrate a bit deeper than the 85gr. Varminter. Just a thought.
                        -tdbru

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                          Chieftain
                          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by tdbru View Post
                          JTP,
                          thinking about your comment on running 85gr. Sierra due to ricochet concerns, yet knowing that with some angles and critters, penetration will be lacking. Have you thought about the 100gr. Sierra Varminter?? It's also meant to fragment on contacting stuff to reduce ricochets, but, with a little more mass should penetrate a bit deeper than the 85gr. Varminter. Just a thought.
                          -tdbru
                          I really like TNTs (90 gr) for this very reason. They certainly penetrate sufficiently for hogs and it is hard to find fragments over 20 grains.
                          Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                          My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• JTPinTX
                            Bloodstained
                            • Sep 2019

I really like the 90 TNT's. They were hard to find for a while but I am stocked back up now. I use them in one rifle and (usually) the 95 VMAX in the other just to easily keep loads for the two rifles separate. I am currently shooting the 85 HP in the rifle I normally shoot the 95 VMAX in. Just have about 50 of them left loaded up, when done I will swap back.

The last few years have been tricky with ammo. Especially shooting high volume sometimes you have to run what you can get.

I have looked at that 100 Sierra before and thought it would probably be pretty good. I just haven't gotten around to trying it.

Comment

Working...
                            X