• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gwtx
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

Coyote eating Fawn

Stepped out last night and saw what I thought was a deer lying down out in front of my house. I scanned around, and when I came back across that spot, the deer was instead a coyote eating something. He was on the other side of a "field wire" fence. I have a very bright security light in front, and he kept looking up at me, then back to eating.
    The only position I could get to without being busted was about 115 yds away, from
    the yote, shooting at a 20 degree angle to the fence. I figured at that narrow angle, I would hit a fence wire and probably miss the yote. But,,,the old man got lucky again. I aimed center mass and it wound up hitting him in the gut just ahead of the rear ham. The 123 sst made a terrible mess on the exit. The fawn was one I had seen where I feed'em in the evenings. He had "food impaction" and apparently the arterial worms that cause it made him weak and sickly. I don't know if the yote killed it, or found it dead. First time I had seen anything like this. Pictures are nasty, so beware.

IMG_0259.JPGIMG_0260.JPGIMG_0261.JPGIMG_0262.JPG
    When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.
  • kmon
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2015

Happens more often than we might think.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2013

It is what coyotes do. They are carnivores. Modern coyotes have been around several hundred thousand years. They have always lived on things like deer, rabbits, rodents, bugs, etc.

We feed the deer at my folks' place. I have a feeder set up about 75 yards from the house. It is sad to see one you recognize has been killed.
      Kill a hog. Save the planet.
      My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• gwtx
        Warrior
        • Feb 2019

They serve a purpose, but they can serve further away from my house I have a spot where I put hog carcasses about 120 yds from my favorite "shooting" post. Each carcass produces at least one coyote,,,good target practice Judging from the scene, the fawn was already dead. Almost no blood at all in the area around the fawn. Just a lot of undigested grass etc. He may have choked to death.
        I was initially shocked the first time I saw this fawn with the puffed up cheeks and throat.I read up on the disease, interesting read.I've read that the worms are not normally fatal in and of themselves, but some of the associated effects can be. In this case, it was fatal for the yote as well Glad to see you cranking out the great videos
        again, thanks and good huntin to ya.
        Last edited by gwtx; 03-16-2022, 08:34 PM.
        When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.

Comment

• BigTee
          Unwashed
          • Oct 2019

Comment

• myrifle
            Warrior
            • Nov 2015

Mother nature is cold and fickle mistress.

But good on you fir smoking that song dog.

Comment

• sundowner
              Chieftain
              • Nov 2017

That's what yotes do , they are the cause of many fawns demise . You made him a good yote .

Comment

• Two Tone
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2022

Pretty sure I heard coyotes howling when I came back in last night. They were far off but there were two of them.

Comment

• TomSawyerNW
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2015

2-3 years ago, a guy I know ran onto a coyote den where he found 20 or more fawn and deer heads. Apparently, they don't eat the heads or maybe lay around and knaw on 'em.

Destructive SOBs, they are.
                  If the Democrats had been in power when this country was founded, we'd be the British.

Comment

• ricsmall
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2014

Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

Working...
                    X