• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Three More Hogs Including another Mulefooted Hog

Years ago, I killed my first mulefooted hog one a property in Montague County, Texas. I no longer hunt that property, but hunt one that is less than 3 miles away where I encounter mulefoots once or twice a year. In a giving sounder, it seems, there may be a small percentage that have this genetic condition while the rest do not. In the last 3-4 weeks, we have killed 6 hogs out of this sounder (I think it is the same one) and have taken two mulefoots from it so far, both females.

This was a fairly quick hunt, three hogs down. Hornady SST 123 gr. bullets were used. All shots overpenetrated the hogs.

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • tdbru
    Warrior
    • Dec 2019

well done DNS.

do you prefer 90gr. TNT to limit overpenetration? Looks like 123 SST works reliably, but as you mentioned, they all went in and came out, which, on these depredation shoots, may not always be a good thing.

-tdbru

Comment

• 204 AR
      Warrior
      • Sep 2015

Wow that's a lot of pigs. I wouldn't know where to start, you needed more shooters lol.

How does a mule foot compare to a camel toe? Lol, sorry, couldn't resist.

Comment

• Wellbornpapa
        Bloodstained
        • Jun 2019

Good work DNS!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by tdbru View Post
          well done DNS.

do you prefer 90gr. TNT to limit overpenetration? Looks like 123 SST works reliably, but as you mentioned, they all went in and came out, which, on these depredation shoots, may not always be a good thing.

-tdbru
          SSTs are also fairly frangible and this sort of short range and velocity. I really have very little concern that SSTs or TNT are going to harm much down range more than say 50 yards away. TNTs do come apart more than SSTs, but SSTs still deform and come apart quite nicely such that they aren't going to be flying stable or straight for very far, if at all. Such flight bleeds of more velocity and energy in the process.

While all the shots did overpenetrate, I would not have been surprised if I had been shooting TNTs and that they overpenetrated as well. These were not large hogs. Even so, the TNTs would undoubtedly have exited with less bullet or less percentage of the original bullet than SSTs. So TNTs would be safer that SSTs, but with nothing in the immediate area, the SSTs were fine.

Originally posted by 204 AR View Post
          Wow that's a lot of pigs. I wouldn't know where to start, you needed more shooters lol.
          Not just more shooters, but more shooters who are experienced with night hunting and highly dynamic situations...and who have highly flexible schedules and are generous with their time, LOL.
          Kill a hog. Save the planet.
          My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Kosh65
            Warrior
            • Jan 2021

Awesome video and good shooting. Keep on keeping on!

Comment

• sundowner
              Chieftain
              • Nov 2017

Another great video and info Brian , thanks for sharing .

Comment

Working...
              X