• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Nosler Partition 100 gr. Bullets & Hogs

Previously, I posted the results of testing some Partition 125 gr. bullets on hogs with a pretty good sample size. While those bullets did perform fairly well, I didn't think they were achieving their full potential at Grendel Velocities.
    I got a chance to test out a bunch of these on some hogs (n=21 recovered). I know these have been around forever and that people love them for various reasons. I am just sharing my observations. These bullets are known to be deep penetrators and this certainly appeared to be true. The ammo I shot was loaded by Druid Hill

Enter the Partition 100s. I have now killed, recovered, and necropsied 5 hogs killed with these bullets (fairly small sample so far, I know). HOLY COW what a difference velocity (MV 2790 fps) seems to be making. The bullets are entering, expanding rapidly often with a very impressive permanent wound cavity after open that continues on for 2-4" and then tapers to a reasonable finger sized wound cavity (when I can find it). It is like somebody went in with a melon baller and removed a golf ball or raquet ball volume of flesh (neck shots)/ Hitting bone after opening seems to be no problem in terms of penetration. I have not hit any heavy bone at entry, before the bullet would expanded, to know how that would affect anything, however.

I have yet to recover a bullet or even a fragment thereof. Previously with the 125s, I got some partial recovered primarily thanks to using a metal detector. All these seem to exit in totality, or any pieces left behind are just too small to detect. With all the bone, including heavy bone hit, I would have thought there would be pieces left behind. Nope, none so far. On the last hog, I could not find an exit and I could not find the bullet or fragments visually or with the metal detector.

So, I am very impressed so far, realizing of course that this is a small sample size. I need to try shooting some hogs in different places from different angles to see if the pattern of performance holds up. I specifically need a solid entry on a humerus or shoulder joint to see how an immediate impact on heavy bone influences the bullet.

The first two videos listed right now (#50 and #49) are the Partition 100s videos. The videos themselves won't work because they are age-protected and you have to go to YouTube anyway to verify age (yaddy yaddy yaddy). There should be more to come.

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • sundowner
    Chieftain
    • Nov 2017

Thanks for the Info and videos .

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

Great info as always. Thanks!
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• EastTNHunter
        Warrior
        • Jul 2021

Comment

• CJW
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2019

DNS,
          Interesting post.

Thanks, Chuck

Comment

• tdbru
            Warrior
            • Dec 2019

DNS,
            great analysis as always. Well done. Looks like 100gr. Nosler Partition and the 6.5 Grendel work very well together. Good to know. I've always had great terminal performance with Nosler Partitions on deer/elk so this result is not too surprising.

How is their accuracy out of your rifle? With a tuned handload I can usually get 1MOA on a NP. sometimes better.

Perhaps the 100gr. NP is a 6.5 Grendel do it all bullet in terms of hunting? if there is such a thing.

again, well done.
            -tdbru

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2013

tdbru, I did not shoot them for accuracy beyond verifying zero. When I did the chrono testing they were within 2 MOA, but I wasn't shooting for groups. Later after testing the Lapua Scenar, I verified zero and and shots on each side of the target dot (2 shots fired was it) and the distance was 1.25", but I tend to waggle a bit on the bench with heartbeat and figured the difference was all me. The elevation was good and both shots hit within 2/3 of an inch of my aim point, so I figured I was GTG.

As for being a do it all bullet, what is missing is having the bullet deposit all its energy in the animal. All these bullets have punched through as far as I can tell. Otherwise, they seem really useful. Me? I don't care if the bullet 'dumps all its energy' in the animal or not if it kills it otherwise.

Comment

• JASmith
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                tdbru, I did not shoot them for accuracy beyond verifying zero. When I did the chrono testing they were within 2 MOA, but I wasn't shooting for groups. Later after testing the Lapua Scenar, I verified zero and and shots on each side of the target dot (2 shots fired was it) and the distance was 1.25", but I tend to waggle a bit on the bench with heartbeat and figured the difference was all me. The elevation was good and both shots hit within 2/3 of an inch of my aim point, so I figured I was GTG.

As for being a do it all bullet, what is missing is having the bullet deposit all its energy in the animal. All these bullets have punched through as far as I can tell. Otherwise, they seem really useful. Me? I don't care if the bullet 'dumps all its energy' in the animal or not if it kills it otherwise.
                shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• 41bear
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                  Previously, I posted the results of testing some Partition 125 gr. bullets on hogs with a pretty good sample size. While those bullets did perform fairly well, I didn't think they were achieving their full potential at Grendel Velocities.
                  I got a chance to test out a bunch of these on some hogs (n=21 recovered). I know these have been around forever and that people love them for various reasons. I am just sharing my observations. These bullets are known to be deep penetrators and this certainly appeared to be true. The ammo I shot was loaded by Druid Hill

Enter the Partition 100s. I have now killed, recovered, and necropsied 5 hogs killed with these bullets (fairly small sample so far, I know). HOLY COW what a difference velocity (MV 2790 fps) seems to be making. The bullets are entering, expanding rapidly often with a very impressive permanent wound cavity after open that continues on for 2-4" and then tapers to a reasonable finger sized wound cavity (when I can find it). It is like somebody went in with a melon baller and removed a golf ball or raquet ball volume of flesh (neck shots)/ Hitting bone after opening seems to be no problem in terms of penetration. I have not hit any heavy bone at entry, before the bullet would expanded, to know how that would affect anything, however.

I have yet to recover a bullet or even a fragment thereof. Previously with the 125s, I got some partial recovered primarily thanks to using a metal detector. All these seem to exit in totality, or any pieces left behind are just too small to detect. With all the bone, including heavy bone hit, I would have thought there would be pieces left behind. Nope, none so far. On the last hog, I could not find an exit and I could not find the bullet or fragments visually or with the metal detector.

So, I am very impressed so far, realizing of course that this is a small sample size. I need to try shooting some hogs in different places from different angles to see if the pattern of performance holds up. I specifically need a solid entry on a humerus or shoulder joint to see how an immediate impact on heavy bone influences the bullet.

The first two videos listed right now (#50 and #49) are the Partition 100s videos. The videos themselves won't work because they are age-protected and you have to go to YouTube anyway to verify age (yaddy yaddy yaddy). There should be more to come.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnq...2vGn33hGPI312w
                  Thanks for all you do. FYI I just got a box of Underwood Ammo, 65 Grendel, with the 110 gr. LeHigh bullet loaded to, they say, 2800 fps. In the remarks section a guy with a Sanders 18" upper said he got 2800 out of his rig with 1/2 inch groups. Going along with your 100 gr. Part. these folks seem to be getting the max from our little giant killer.
                  "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town

Comment

• Harpoon1
                    Chieftain
                    • Dec 2017

+1

And 2 holes are always better than 1!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                      Chieftain
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Harpoon1 View Post
                      +1

And 2 holes are always better than 1!
                      Well, and see that is where it gets interesting. Everybody has a different idea of what the ideal performance. Some people believe 2 holes are better than 1. Some people believe it is best that 100% of the bullet be captured in the animal. Other folks want a bullet that isn't as detrimental to the meat. I have probably heard it all from viewers who have informed me why the bullet I am using (whatever it is that I am testing) is wrong or inferior, often with the inclusion of what I am doing wrong as a hunter, and what bullets I should be using to make me a better human being.

Comment

• 603 Country
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2022

Comment

• tdbru
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2019

DNS,
                          I can see your predicament with regards to everyone having an opinion on bullet performance when you post. For your purposes, as long as the hogs die when the bullet hits them, it's a success. You are simply removing a pest, albeit a bit bigger than what most folks consider a pest, like a gopher or something.

Nonetheless I do appreciate all the time you take on these necropsies to present bullet performance from the various bullets you have tried. Very educational. Thank you once again.
                          -tdbru

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                            Chieftain
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by tdbru View Post
                            DNS,
                            I can see your predicament with regards to everyone having an opinion on bullet performance when you post. For your purposes, as long as the hogs die when the bullet hits them, it's a success. You are simply removing a pest, albeit a bit bigger than what most folks consider a pest, like a gopher or something.

Nonetheless I do appreciate all the time you take on these necropsies to present bullet performance from the various bullets you have tried. Very educational. Thank you once again.
                            -tdbru
                            Thanks and you are welcome!

Yeah, lots of bullets can do the job, but it seems to come down to a matter about how you want it done or think it should be done. It is sort of like we all enjoy eating steak, back when we could afford it, but we all like it done a bit differently, from how well it is cooked and what is used for seasoning. Nobody is wrong, just different.

Comment

• Serenitynow
                              Bloodstained
                              • Mar 2022

Interesting thread. And it got me thinking.
                              I'm new to Grendel, and the AR15 platform in general.

I have been reading on here for a while, but not posting much.

I've been gathering supplies for handloading and even bought some Hornady Black 123g V-Max rounds just to put something downrange until I can start handloading.

In all the threads about bullet performance I've read, it seems the biggest variables to performance are bullet design/ velocity / barrel length and range of target. Is this fairly accurate ?

I have a 12.5" Faxon Gunner barrel with an adjustable gas block. I'm trying to find good loads for up to ..say.. 300-400 yards.

In general, do lighter, faster bullets ( less than 110g ) perform better than heavier bullets ( 110-130g ) at this range with the velocities I'm capable of reaching with my 12.5" barrel.

Thanks to everyone here for sharing your info about this subject. There is definitely a lot to try to sort through.

Comment

Working...
                              X