• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Hornady CX 120 gr. on Hogs & a Coyote

Dinny managed to get ahold of some CX 120s that DHA loaded into ammo for me. With that said, I know virtually nothing about CX bullets other than that they are all copper and are supposed to be a GMX successor. So, I came into this test about as untainted as possible.

The new bullets seem to work well. As near as I can tell, they are opening up just fine and appear to be making nice holes through the animals and doing a goodly amount of damage. I have yet to recover one, however.

It won't direct link here because it is aged restricted, but here is the AnalySus portion...
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • sundowner
    Chieftain
    • Nov 2017

Great video Brian Looks like that bullet does do the job , thanks for sharing .

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
      Warrior
      • Jan 2014

Comment

• ETEX HUNTER
        Bloodstained
        • Aug 2020

another great video. keep them coming.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I think your going to need a length wise shot on large hog to recover the 120 grain CX bullet.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
            I think your going to need a length wise shot on large hog to recover the 120 grain CX bullet.
            A 450 lb boar would be nice, but since I have never seen one of those, a lengthwise shot is probably right on a smaller hog.

I am now seeing that 2000 fps may be the cutoff for it to open properly. Maybe we will be able to test that with some more distant shots, but if that is the case, we may be back to more TUI performance and difficulty in recovery as well.

Comment

• Fess
              Warrior
              • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
              A 450 lb boar would be nice, but since I have never seen one of those, a lengthwise shot is probably right on a smaller hog. .
              Nah! Just line up several of the smaller ones. How many would it take ..... 3, 4?
              You might want to contact Hornady to learn about minimum opening velocity. When I made a comment on one of their podcasts, they said that some of the bullets are designed to open at lower velocities, but I would need to email them for more info. I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Comment

• packnrn
                Unwashed
                • Aug 2022

Great video very entertaining. I am new so might have already been discussed. What happened to 123sst? I haven't been able to find them anywhere. Has hornady dcd them? I am loading 95 vmax and 123eldm but haven't tried them on game yet. Has anyone tried these bullets on whitetail deer yet?

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by packnrn View Post
                  Great video very entertaining. I am new so might have already been discussed. What happened to 123sst? I haven't been able to find them anywhere. Has hornady dcd them? I am loading 95 vmax and 123eldm but haven't tried them on game yet. Has anyone tried these bullets on whitetail deer yet?

Comment

• packnrn
                    Unwashed
                    • Aug 2022

thanks VAS I think you and me are only people up this morning.

Comment

• trubulator
                      Warrior
                      • Aug 2022

I believe Hornady claims 1800FPS min velocity for expansion on the CX. Glad to hear they put the hurt on game because I just picked some up to fool with.

Comment

• Fess
                        Warrior
                        • Jun 2019

An ironic disadvantage of the 6.5mm becoming more popular is that many of the bullets are now being optimized for higher velocity cartridges. It will be interesting to see Hornady's strategy with the SST and CX.

It appears they tried to extend the useful speed range of the ELD-X bullets, though. In a recent podcast, the Hornady reps claimed that most ELD-X bullets open about 200 fps lower than SST's. The ELD-M's are optimized for accuracy and use a constant-thickness jacket, but there are numerous reports of it being an effective hunting bullet, especially at Grendel velocities. I emailed Hornady a question about the ELD-M's use in hunting, but they never responded. I asked if there was any skiving or other feature on the jacket that would assist uniform petaling of the jacket.
                        Last edited by Fess; 09-01-2022, 05:40 PM.

Comment

• rickt300
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Fess View Post
                          An ironic disadvantage of the 6.5mm becoming more popular is that many of the bullets are now being optimized for higher velocity cartridges. It will be interesting to see Hornady's strategy with the SST and CX.

It appears they tried to extend the useful speed range of the ELD-X bullets, though. In a recent podcast, the Hornady reps claimed that most ELD-X bullets open about 200 fps lower than SST's. The ELD-M's are optimized for accuracy and use a constant-thickness jacket, but there are numerous reports of it being an effective hunting bullet, especially at Grendel velocities. I emailed Hornady a question about the ELD-M's use in hunting, but they never responded. I asked if there was any skiving or other feature on the jacket that would assist uniform petaling of the jacket.
                          A couple years ago I ran some ELDM through a jug test, I wrote about here someplace. It did have the innerlock ring and it did give a maximum expansion mushroom losing the cores.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                            Chieftain
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Fess View Post
                            Nah! Just line up several of the smaller ones. How many would it take ..... 3, 4?
                            You might want to contact Hornady to learn about minimum opening velocity. When I made a comment on one of their podcasts, they said that some of the bullets are designed to open at lower velocities, but I would need to email them for more info. I haven't gotten around to it yet.
                            I like the way you think, but there is a slight flaw in your scheme. Lining up the hogs isn't so much of an issue as much as getting them to hold still while they are lined up is.

I found/read somewhere (random guy on a forum or YouTube) that 2000 fps was the opening threshold. It likely NOT an industry source, so I don't know. If you find correct info from a valid source, I would like to see what they say about lowest opening velocity. I haven't gotten around to sleuthing it, either.

Comment

• trubulator
                              Warrior
                              • Aug 2022

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                              I like the way you think, but there is a slight flaw in your scheme. Lining up the hogs isn't so much of an issue as much as getting them to hold still while they are lined up is.

I found/read somewhere (random guy on a forum or YouTube) that 2000 fps was the opening threshold. It likely NOT an industry source, so I don't know. If you find correct info from a valid source, I would like to see what they say about lowest opening velocity. I haven't gotten around to sleuthing it, either.

I have the Hornady app, which gives velocity ranges for each bullet they sell. CX is listed the same as GMX, 1800-3600 FPS.

Comment

Working...
                              X