• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gwtx
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

Hogs after acorns

I've been watching one of the neighbors feeders waiting for the hogs to show up.
    They showed up, but not at the feeder. Almost in my back yard instead
    Made a pretty good mess. I stepped out on the porch to look around and spotted them.
    I wasn't dressed for a "stalk". I had trouble finding a good spot to shoot from, partially because the new security light they installed, lights up the whole area, and the hogs were downwind from me. I crouched against the barn gate in a narrow shadow, and though I didn't have a good "rest", the shot hit where I was aiming. Broke both front shoulders. There was a barbed wire fence between us, but got lucky and missed it.
    I think I hit one of the runners, but couldn't be sure.
    I went to look for the primary target in my "slip on" shoes, using my cell phone for a light. I mowed the pasture recently, and the weeds, mesquite, and huisatche was "windrowed" so tall, the hog disappeared when she went down.
    Tonight (11/1/22) I shot one at the feeder I have been watching. He was eating corn right along with 3 or 4 deer.
    He ran, but I'm sure it was a hit (whop). It's been nice not having hogs for a while, but since the neighboring feeders are running, and the acorns are falling, The hogs are definitely back. Looks like I'll be losing some sleep for a while, till I get them trained to stay away.
    The one I shot Monday night was part of a sounder of about 12 or so, and they were rooting right beside the deer that were grazing.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gwtx; 11-02-2022, 04:27 AM. Reason: forgot sumpin
    When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Very good. I like how you keep after it on a regular basis!
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• sundowner
      Chieftain
      • Nov 2017

Good shooting .

Comment

• txgunner00
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I was at my parents property outside Anderson this weekend. The acorns are insane this year. My daughters harvested a buck and it was the fattest deer I've ever seen.
        NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Working...
        X