• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gwtx
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

GOOD Pig

Last night I caught this big boy under a feeder I've been watching every night. He is larger than the norm for my neighborhood. Range 158yds (google). 123 SST hit low left shoulder, exited a tad ahead of the right shoulder(3/4"hole), a bit lower than where I normally aim. He went down immediately. Lay still for about 30 seconds, then started the "death shuffle". I watched him for a bit, and he got still. Just as I was about to go check him, he started kicking again, and was able to get up on his rear legs. I rushed a shot and missed, but he fell down like he was hit. In defense of my "marksmanship"(or lack of He was laying in a hole with not much to shoot at.
    Then, got back up again. This went on for a couple times till I finally landed a shot just behind his ear. All I had to measure him with was a steel tape, and I measured 46" heart girth. Don't know what that converts to since I didn't bother to measure length or height. At that time of night, with a cool front approaching, I didn't care too much.
    Attached Files
    When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.
  • sundowner
    Chieftain
    • Nov 2017

Great looking hog great shoot and he's got some nice cutters .

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2013

That is the biggest 90 pound pig I have ever seen!

I believe that based on your measurement, that is 260 lbs, plus or minus a few lbs.

If he went down in a hole, you may not have been able to see him well enough to see head lifts that often indicate a stunned hog versus one doing the death kick (even though it may be stunned from an eventually fatal shot). If I see them trying to lift their heads, they get another shot automatically because head lifters often do try to get get again and some are successful. Other times I will put shots into hogs because I feel like the kicking has gone on for too long or because I am just not confident with the perceived impact location. Of course sometimes, they don't give you a clear sign and may appear to be 100% dead. I have lost a few hogs over the years that were down, did their kicking and were motionless by the time I decided to go get the truck, only to return and find the hog has gotten up and left the area.

I may have shared this story before. My buddies Dave and Alex were hunting the pecan groves and had downed 7 or 8 hogs. They had collected all of the hogs in the back of the truck and driven to the bone yard area to deposit the carcasses. Alex had unloaded his 2nd hog when he turned to grab the 3rd one and found it was standing upright in the back of the truck, very much alive, but wounded with a broken front leg. As Alex explained it, the hog was down and dead and they literally threw it and the other hogs up into the truck when they loaded them and yet 20 or 30 minutes later, it was mysteriously alive. The hog hopped out of the truck and took off at a very slow run with the injured leg and chest wound and Alex ran it down and shot it in the brain with his pistol. Dave drove the truck over and they repeated the process and this time the hog made it to the dead pile, 100% dead.

Sometimes, if you don't take a pulse or check eye reflex, seemingly dead hogs may not be totally dead, yet.
      Kill a hog. Save the planet.
      My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• 603 Country
        Warrior
        • Apr 2022

Comment

• gwtx
          Warrior
          • Feb 2019

I'm not meat hunting, so the only reason I don't want him to run off is cause I don't want him coming back later with the whole sounder to do more damage. AND,,I'm mad at'em
          Thanks for the replies
          When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.

Comment

• CazadorBob
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2018

They sound like very tough animals...

Comment

• Clare44man
              Unwashed
              • Oct 2020

Hitting the hog low in the chest was a good thing. If you check the anatomy of a hog you will find the heart/ lung area lower than in a deer. The hump on the shoulders gives the impression of a deeper chest cavity than is actually there. Ignore the hump and shoot into the lower 1/4 rather than the lower 1/3 as you would a deer. Congratulations on your hog!

Comment

Working...
              X