• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

New Hunting Rig with 28" Liberty Barrel

I was talking with Dave at Druid Hill Armory and he happened to mention he had purchased some 28" Liberty barrels and that he had been getting some great velocity out of his. So I purchased one off of him and my hunting partner, Ben, got one of my uppers rebarreled with it. I added a Monster Bolt and Aero Breach charging handle from SixFiveOutfitters. The upper went onto an LMT lower with an LMT 2-stage trigger. This will be sighted with a Fusion Thermal Avenger 40 weapon sight I will be testing for the next few weeks.

With suppressor and collapsed stock, 51" long. Weight without magazine is 13.1 lbs

Before all is said and done, I hope to run a variety of ammo through it to see what sort of velocities I can get. Dave tells me even 140 gr. ammo can get over 2500 fps and I am hoping that Federal Speer TNT 90s will be over 2900 fps. I will get some preliminary chrono results on Friday, but if the temps stay cold, I may hold off on much ammo testing until temps are over 50 degrees.

I am thinking that with the extra velocity, Chinese balloons won't be an issue, so hogs should be no problem (if I can find them).

20230209_180523smaller.jpg
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • sundowner
    Chieftain
    • Nov 2017

Looks really good DNS.

Comment

• Old Bob
      Warrior
      • Oct 2019

DNS you're gettin' into Mel's territory. You're gonna need a caisson for that weapon!
      I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Old Bob View Post
          DNS you're gettin' into Mel's territory. You're gonna need a caisson for that weapon!
          I will never be in Mel's territory, LOL. I think 400 yards is about it for me. Just thought the extra scale might be fun.

Well, I won't be shooting freehand, LOL. I think the length is going to be more of a hassle than the weight, but I could be wrong.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

Bwhahaha, I was thinking something similar. I'd grab a tikka t3 lite stainless in creedmoor if I needed a little more zip to my zang, and have something that didn't need truck bed mounting.

However, he's taking bean field pigging to new levels, looks like a specialized tool for a specialized job. Pretty cool mini cannon. It won't even budge at the shot, should be approaching magnum rimfire recoil energy levels lol, be just the ticket for follow ups and multiple piggy kills.
            Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 02-10-2023, 05:30 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• stonehog
                Warrior
                • Oct 2021

How'r ya going to fit that beast in the safe??

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

Put a lock on the workshop, that can be your safe then... lol!
                  "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Zeneffect
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2020

Very nice.

Comment

• gwtx
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2019

Wow! that's a Killer, can't wait to see that thing in action. Be sure you have "dialog" with the owners of the balloons you shoot down
                      When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.

Comment

• tdbru
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2019

DNS,
                        what is that "material" on the barrel between the end of the handguard and the can??? is it some kind of long skinny sock or something? I presume to keep the mirage down from the barrel heat? Although, I'm thinking it's going to take at least a mag dump or two before that chunk of steel begins to heat up much. that's a lot of steel. Or are those night time thermal sights really really sensitive to barrel heat distortion of the image they're getting?? I've never had one to use.

Yeah, have fun with that, I'm also thinking you should be in the 3100 to 3200 fps range with that barrel length and the 90gr. bullets. My 20" is in the 2900s with 85gr. and the 22" is at 3K with the 85gr. so you ought to get around 3100 to 3200 I'm guessing.

i haven't seen many posts lately by Mel, but you two should compare some notes.

have great fun
                        -tdbru

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                          Chieftain
                          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by tdbru View Post
                          DNS,
                          what is that "material" on the barrel between the end of the handguard and the can??? is it some kind of long skinny sock or something? I presume to keep the mirage down from the barrel heat? Although, I'm thinking it's going to take at least a mag dump or two before that chunk of steel begins to heat up much. that's a lot of steel. Or are those night time thermal sights really really sensitive to barrel heat distortion of the image they're getting?? I've never had one to use.

Yeah, have fun with that, I'm also thinking you should be in the 3100 to 3200 fps range with that barrel length and the 90gr. bullets. My 20" is in the 2900s with 85gr. and the 22" is at 3K with the 85gr. so you ought to get around 3100 to 3200 I'm guessing.

i haven't seen many posts lately by Mel, but you two should compare some notes.

have great fun
                          -tdbru
                          Wow, if I said YES, I would sound really smart. In reality, the 'sock' is just horse wrap or horse tape. The barrel is stainless and I wanted to tone done the reflectivity. Also, the barrel is fluted and the edges of the flutes are sharp

Comment

• Zeneffect
                            Chieftain
                            • May 2020

Hot damn that rifle has some reach. First kill over Canada yesterday I see.

Comment

• Highbrow
                              Bloodstained
                              • Feb 2019

Comment

Working...
                              X