• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trubulator
    Warrior
    • Aug 2022

Elk?

I drew a cow tag in a place where I think I will get a shot within 200 yards if I get one at all. I also drew a doe tag and will be filling that first with Dad's Marlin, so if I get close enough to a cow it will get 180 grains of love at speed from the lever action. If I plug a doe and switch rifles to look for a cow, is an 18" grendel a bad idea?
  • JASmith
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2014

How much do you expect the doe to weigh?
    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
      Warrior
      • Dec 2017

do you shoot both well? there is no replacement for placement but the grendel will handle that cow elk to 300 no problem, no varmint bullets of course, stay back of the shoulder and take out the balloons in the middle of the rib cage and you're good to go, nice thing about a cow elk is the size of the kill zone a lot easier to get into than a little whitetail doe

Comment

• trubulator
        Warrior
        • Aug 2022

Originally posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
        do you shoot both well? there is no replacement for placement but the grendel will handle that cow elk to 300 no problem, no varmint bullets of course, stay back of the shoulder and take out the balloons in the middle of the rib cage and you're good to go, nice thing about a cow elk is the size of the kill zone a lot easier to get into than a little whitetail doe
        I have tuned hand loads for both guns. The 35 is using the 180 grain Speer bullet that has a reputation for being on the hard side for 35 Rem, so should be fine for elk within reasonable range My Grendel loads are based on the 123 grain SST. I would only be interested in a breadbasket shot with either rifle on a cow.

Comment

• kmon
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2015

If you use the custom search engine there are some threads from the past with elk Bulls and cows taken with the Grendel. Like others have said through the lungs and no issue taking them. Use the custom search engine in the announcements forum here and search for elk in it. There are quite a few threas about elk with the Grendel.

Comment

• Remington Jim
            Bloodstained
            • Apr 2020

As Stinky says shoot them both with the G Speer Gold Dots for me 120 gr and there bonded bullets Keep your shot to the lungs and all will be Good JMO

Comment

Working...
            X