Is there one bullet that does it all in the grendel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trubulator
    Warrior
    • Aug 2022

I am sold on the SST as a hunting bullet. I will likely also try some hand loads with the 129 grain Nosler ABLR this fall as well. If I am shooting for groups, the Barnes Match Burner is affordable and accurate. I also used the match burner to kill a large beaver last winter, but since these are head and neck shots the terminal performance of the bullet largely does not matter (I routinely use FMJs in 350 legend for North America's largest rodent).

Comment

• imaguy3
      Warrior
      • Mar 2018

Originally posted by vaguru View Post
      stef1274, stinky coyote, and any others,

What makes the 123 ELDM better than the 120 ELDM in your experience? Have you used it (120ELDM) for game?

Thanks
      The consensus is the 123 is easier to develop an accurate load for, some say it was made specifically for the grendel but I don't know.

Comment

• Zeneffect
        Chieftain
        • May 2020

The 123 have a sleeker profile and can be loaded longer. The 120s you might hit lands at 2.24-2.26 coal limiting its loadability before hitting max pressure.

Comment

• stef1274
          Unwashed
          • Jul 2023

Curious what anyone experienced with Hornady 129gr Interlock. I see from calculators that it can retain 85% of its muzzle velocity up to 250m, and the expected penetration vs. price point should make it a no brainer. Alas, I can't find substantive field reports anywhere.

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
          stef1274 Edit -- I will, however, concede that using that bullet for mice, rats, and squirrels might get to be a bit pricey - - -
          For me, that is not something I have or will ever hunt, so varmint bullets have no time in my consideration. Very rare in our world to hunt something smaller than springbok (which is already of no interest to me). But even if I did, the Balistix are priced the same as any imported (read US) varmint bullet we have here.

For interest sake, how prices compare over here:

Ballistix Huntac per bullet: R12 (63 US cents)
          Hornady 129gr SP: R9 (48 US cents)
          Nosler 129gr Accubond: R25 ($1.30)
          1lbs Hodgdon CFE223: R1000 ($53.20)
          Stadard Big Mac Meal: R45 ($2.55)
          1 US Galon petrol: R22,50 ($4.50)
          1kWh of utility electricity: +-R2.75 ($0.15)
          Last edited by stef1274; 09-04-2023, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• lazyengineer
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by stef1274 View Post
            Curious what anyone experienced with Hornady 129gr Interlock. I see from calculators that it can retain 85% of its muzzle velocity up to 250m, and the expected penetration vs. price point should make it a no brainer. Alas, I can't find substantive field reports anywhere.

For me, that is not something I have or will ever hunt, so varmint bullets have no time in my consideration. Very rare in our world to hunt something smaller than springbok (which is already of no interest to me). But even if I did, the Balistix are priced the same as any imported (read US) varmint bullet we have here.

For interest sake, how prices compare over here:

Ballistix Huntac per bullet: R12 (63 US cents)
            Hornady 129gr SP: R9 (48 US cents)
            Nosler 129gr Accubond: R25 ($3.30)
            1lbs Hodgdon CFE223: R1000 ($53.20)
            Stadard Big Mac Meal: R45 ($2.55)
            1 US Galon petrol: R22,50 ($4.50)
            1kWh of utility electricity: +-R2.75 ($0.15)
            I'm not a fan in Grendel because it's so heavy I can't get my velocity up. My distance to 1000 ft-lb, and my distance to transonic is longer with 123's, than it is with 129's. I will say, I like 129's in the MDRx 6.5 Creedmoor rifle,

Related to that, 6.5 Grendel flight ARC at short range from shorter barrels isn't as flat as 5.56 and 6.5 CM like I'm used to. I got burned by that trying to do neck shots at 100 yards with a 200 yard zeroed Grendel once, where they arced just enough over just enough at 100 yards. The heavier and slower the bullet, the worse that gets in the 200 yard range distance level. (I zero my 5.56 and 6.5 CM rifles at 200, which gives a dead hold impact within 1.5 inches at anything from about 35 yards to 225 yards. Not so much with Grendel, which in that case arcade 3" high at 100 yards, which was just high enough to miss a spine hold on small dear due to a landowners "1000 ft-lb and neck shots only" requirement.
            Last edited by lazyengineer; 09-04-2023, 01:41 PM.
            4x P100

Comment

• JASmith
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2014

MidwayUSA has a few reviews about the performance of this bullet in game: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010474612?pid=266876

It should expand well as long as the impact velocity is at or above 1800 fps and below about 2800 fps. The good news is that it will be hard to drive these bullets too fast in the Grendel.
              shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
              -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• SDguy
                Warrior
                • Oct 2015

That flat base 129 gr SP is one I like over Lever-evolution. Why we still are not seeing load data on this bewilders me.

Comment

• Fess
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2019

Originally posted by lazyengineer View Post
                  "1000 ft-lb and neck shots only" requirement.
                  Dang, are those deer wearing kevlar scarves?

Comment

• stef1274
                    Unwashed
                    • Jul 2023

Originally posted by Fess View Post
                    Dang, are those deer wearing kevlar scarves?

I hate it when the farmer gives requirements like this. I, the hunter, know that I am responsible for the hunting I do, and I am also a grownup.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2017

I'm not a fan in Grendel because it's so heavy I can't get my velocity up. My distance to 1000 ft-lb, and my distance to transonic is longer with 123's, than it is with 129's. I will say, I like 129's in the MDRx 6.5 Creedmoor rifle,

Related to that, 6.5 Grendel flight ARC at short range from shorter barrels isn't as flat as 5.56 and 6.5 CM like I'm used to. I got burned by that trying to do neck shots at 100 yards with a 200 yard zeroed Grendel once, where they arced just enough over just enough at 100 yards. The heavier and slower the bullet, the worse that gets in the 200 yard range distance level. (I zero my 5.56 and 6.5 CM rifles at 200, which gives a dead hold impact within 1.5 inches at anything from about 35 yards to 225 yards. Not so much with Grendel, which in that case arcade 3" high at 100 yards, which was just high enough to miss a spine hold on small dear due to a landowners "1000 ft-lb and neck shots only" requirement.
                      yes most big game hunters can easily live within a 6" max point blank range zero, because the largest kill zone is the most reliable (behind the front shoulder boiler room - lungs/heart, big balloons), a 16.1" grendel 123 is still only about 5.3" mpbr with a 200 yard zero but you have very niche requirements due to your particular landowner ask, you're looking for a 3" mpbr zero which is doable with the grendel and 123's but it would be about a 160 yard zero with a 185 yard mpbr and the 123 is entirely too much bullet for this and will almost certainly waste most of it's energy in the hill side beyond the deer. Very few broadside deer can keep my 123's inside them, almost always pass through as I'm shooting a solid 20" penetration combination even from my 16.1" barrel...so you are correct, a .223 with a frangible lighter bullet that would grenade inside of 10-12" penetration and give you a much further 3" mpbr would be the better niche choice for your niche application...the grendel 123 is way too much formula for deer neck shots, or in your case since he's asking for 1000 ft/lbs then you may need to look at 22-250 or 6 arc with light frangible bullets, you don't want to use the 103/108's in the 6-arc, still way too much formula, get down into the 75 gr v-max type range for the 6mm, be 55 v-max type for a .22-250, that formula will give you the laser beam and lighting drt's for those neck shots on deer to likely 250-300 yards no problem, even a .243 with the varmint loads would be a good choice for that also
                      Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 09-05-2023, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• rickt300
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2017

Perfection is the 100 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips and Partitions. Unobtainium.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2017

good point LRRPF52, the 95 gr v-max with it's lesser sd and frangible construction moving much quicker would be the best choice for neck shooting deer and having that good long 3" mpbr distance, if grendel for this application that would be the hot ticket

Comment

• JASmith
                              Chieftain
                              • Sep 2014

Stef,

I'm surprised that the prices are that close to what we see in California!

Regarding the 129 gr SP, it is a very good bullet when impacting between 1800 and 2800 fps.

One can get a muzzle velocity of about 2400 fps from an 18" barrel while keeping pressures under about 50,000 psi. It will still be going faster than 1800 fps when it goes past 300 yard.

A 24" barrel can give one about 2600 fps with the 1800 fps mark being reached somwhere past 400 yards.
                              shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                              -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• MachV
                                Bloodstained
                                • Sep 2018

For me the perfect bullet is the 120ELD. The 100eld shoots flatter and the 123eld flies farther but the 120 shoots the best and easier to tune in both Grendels. That and they are the most reliable to find localy

Comment

Working...
                                X