• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BL2551
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2023

Top 6.5 G deer rifle bullet options

I'm sure this has been discussed at length in other threads, but I'm pretty new to the forum, & new to the 6.5 G. I finally got my 6.5 G upper built with the intent of it being my go to deer rifle. I'm in the midwest, where I expect to shoot whitetail deer that range anywhere from about 180 to 250 lbs. I also expect to shoot deer at distances no greater than about 200-250 yards max, with a shot between 30-90 yards being more common, and I shoot a 16" barrel AR platform. What are the absolute best bullets for that purpose? I would love to hear others personal experience and results.
  • rickt300
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

Opinions will vary and then you have the availability issue. This year I am doing the Barnes 120 gr. Matchburner because I loaded a box of them into brass and have plenty. The SST has its supporters, my preferred bullet is the 120 gr. Ballistic Tip which are hard to come by.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

Best bullet? the ones you can find and that shoot well for your barrel

Might want to look at Maker bullets for a 16", they have some 95-110's that have good opening specs.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

120gr Federal Fusion
        125gr Nosler Partition
        129gr Nosler Accubond Long Range95gr Maker T-Rex
        100gr Barnes TTSX
        105gr Cavity Back MKZ
        110gr Controlled Chaos
        115gr Barnes VOR-TX TTSX
        118gr Cavity Back MKZ

120gr Barnes TSX
        120gr Barnes TTSX
        120gr Hornady CX
        120gr Nosler E-Tip
        123gr Fort Scott TUI

C. Standard cup and core controlled expansion hunting bullets that are 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the premiums, and can be practiced with more if cost is a factor.

90gr Federal TNT
        90gr Nosler Varmageddon
        95gr Hornady V-Max
        100gr Sierra HP
        105gr Sierra Blitzking
        120gr ELD-M
        123gr ELD-M
        123gr SST
        129gr SST
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• zholley
          Unwashed
          • Oct 2023

I have taken a handful of whitetail with my 6.5 Grendel over the past 4 years. We have used the 120 pro-hunter, 130 gameking, and 123 SST. All shots have been from 75-200 yards and have resulted in fairly quick dispatching, though none of them have dropped on the spot, but we tend to shoot behind the shoulder to avoid damaging the meat. Heart and lungs get serious damage and the animals have dropped within 50 yards every time.

The chart provided above is excellent information. I will certainly plan on contributing to that threat if someone takes an animal with my Grendel in the coming months.

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
            Warrior
            • Sep 2023

@LRRPF52

Thanks for posting that chart!
            From my cold dead endmill...

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
                Warrior
                • Sep 2023

That Chart encapsulates most everything in NA. It gives me more confidence to use the Grendel.

I think I mentioned I have some loads of 120gr TTSX in 25, 26, 27, 27.5 and 28 loads. On the Hornady side they give 28.3 as max. I need to get these up to the range to test out. My gut tells me that the 120gr TTSX will take down pretty much anything I come in contact with. I split the last grain in half, the Hornady load data states 25.2 min to 28.0 max. I will test my actual velocity from a 16" 1:8 twist barrel. I know this will be more than enough for pigs. The bears are my bigger concern, but the Grendel seems to take black bear without much issue.

Comment

• CJW
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2019

Comment

• BL2551
                    Unwashed
                    • Oct 2023

LRRPF52, that is an abundance of great information. I am going to be using the Hornady black 123 eld-m factory loads during this years gun season, since it begins in only 2.5 weeks... and I now feel like I can use that with confidence even through my 16" barrel.
                    After that it looks like I have plenty of good options. I am not at all concerned about recoil. My #1 concern is quick ethical kills with as little tracking as possible. #2 concern is accuracy out to hunting distances. Those two things are really all I want out of it, since it is hopefully going to be my go to hunting rifle, almost exclusively on MO whitetail deer. I tried some SST factory loads and wasn't happy with the groups, since they were more than double my eld-m groups. I wonder if the 129 grain SST's would shoot better that the 123's .. might be worth a test. Those Sierra blitzkings 105's and the Accubond Long range both sound interesting too, so I might have to give those a try as well.

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2023

Originally posted by BL2551 View Post
                      I'm sure this has been discussed at length in other threads, but I'm pretty new to the forum, & new to the 6.5 G.
                      My suggestion is to go to http://www.ar15buildbox.com/ and get the reloading books available. However, what you plan to do with your 6.5 Grendel may make a difference. IMO, volume 2 is a very handy collection of information that is very well suited for the 6.5 Grendel.

Do you plan to buy off the shelf ammo or reload your own? Either way, there is so much in the way of load data in these books that you can compare it to factory ammo, your own reloads, your application, etc...

IMO, they're akin to the 6.5 Grendel Bible. No affiliation other than a satisfied customer.

KW

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2023

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        120gr Barnes TTSX
                        What does the bold mean? (TSX was bold) This would be nice to see this game chart incorporated into your book.

I was curious, you don't have load data for the Barnes 120gr TTSX, but in your volume I book you show a wound channel in gelatin.

I have a few powders that you list, so one way or the other I will have it covered. I don't see much Varget listed in your charts, that has always been a pretty forgiving powder. I have about 5 lbs. of 8208 XBR also, and have quite a bit of H335 which is what I'm currently trying to use up. I used to load 5.56 and 308 with those powders.

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        120gr Hornady CX
                        Anyone else using CX bullets? I am torn between the Barnes and Hornady bullets. I have both.

KW
                        Last edited by Konocti's Wigwam; 11-04-2023, 10:14 PM.

Comment

• MonsterShooter
                          Unwashed
                          • Dec 2021

129gr Nosler Accubond Long Range

Shot a Buck behind the shoulder at about 30 yards last week and he pretty much turned around and fell down and died in less than 7 yards from where he was shot.

Good thing I was using long range ammo!

Edited to add, blood everywhere like a crime scene.
                          Last edited by MonsterShooter; 11-08-2023, 12:26 AM.

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2023

I can tell you guys are going to be a bad influence on me...I ordered a 12" barrel last night, mainly because I want something lighter and shorter for packing, and LRRPF52 seems to be using a 12" barrel for a substantial amount of shooting he's doing.

To give a fair evaluation against 300 blackout, I need something shorter. I have a 300 blackout with a 7.5" barrel, so the 6.5 Grendel will be slightly heavier, but not much. 300 blackout has a 6.5" handguard and a 7.5" barrel. 6.5 Grendel will have a 12" barrel and a 10" handguard. This will be a fairer comparison between these firearms, and I know the Grendel will beat the 300 blackout hands down with velocity/energy.

Comment

• Koda
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jun 2023

Originally posted by BL2551 View Post
                              I also expect to shoot deer at distances no greater than about 200-250 yards max, with a shot between 30-90 yards being more common, and I shoot a 16" barrel AR platform. What are the absolute best bullets for that purpose? I would love to hear others personal experience and results.
                              Im new to the Grendel and havent filled my tag yet. Im also new to Hammer bullets but I went with a 97g Absolute Hammer in my Grendel handload and read excellent reviews on Hammer bullets terminal performance. I only have a 6in holdover at 300yds with a 200yd zero. Im running 2800fps with A2520 powder.

Comment

Working...
                              X