• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BL2551
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2023

my first 6.5 G buck with ELD match bullet

It's only been about a month since I built my 6.5 grendel upper to be my designated deer rifle. Saturday was the rifle opener here in MO and I was really hoping to get a chance to find out if the new go to rifle was everything I've been dreaming about over the past few years. Well only an hour into the season I got my opportunity. I had to take an unsupported standing shot at 100 yards, with it very slightly quartered away, almost perfect broadside. At first I thought I missed, since the deer ran off with no noticeable problem. I heard a crash that I was afraid was simply him busting through some brush, but I decided to go look anyway. He only made it about 30 yards. Bullet hit about 4" behind the front shoulder, and the bullet passed through the back side ribs, stopping inside the far shoulder. The lungs looked like they were put through a blender. I was able to find the bullet jacket inside the far shoulder. Needless to say I am now a huge fan of the 6.5 G & the Hornady Black with ELDm bullets. So glad I finally built it and had a chance to try it out. If anyone wishes to see pics I have some I could post.
  • CJW
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2019

Post pictures please

Comment

• BL2551
      Unwashed
      • Oct 2023

1st is obviously the whole buck.
      2nd pic is the entrance hole just under skin
      3rd is entrance hole after another layer removed
      4th is the exit hole where it exited the ribs before stopping inside the back side shoulderblade.
      5th is the jacket I recovered

buck down 1.jpgentrance wound 1.jpgentrance hole 2.jpgexit hole 1.jpgjacket side 1.jpg
      Last edited by BL2551; 11-13-2023, 10:59 PM.

Comment

• gwtx
        Warrior
        • Feb 2019

congrats on the buck and the pics. You're hooked
        When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.

Comment

• BL2551
          Unwashed
          • Oct 2023

Originally posted by gwtx View Post
          congrats on the buck and the pics. You're hooked
          yea, I'm more bow hunter than gun hunter, but when it's rifle season, I see no reason to use anything else. Took me about 3 years of wanting to build it before I finally did it. Now that I've tried it, I'm a firm believer. We have an antlerless season early december, and now I'm looking for places I can take it out again!

Comment

• BL2551
            Unwashed
            • Oct 2023

Originally posted by Konocti's Wigwam
            Nice looking buck, is that a blacktail?

I just sold 2 boxes of ELD-X for 308, as we can't use lead in California anymore.

KW
            its a MO whitetail

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Congrats on harvesting that buck.

123gr ELD-M is a bit softer than 123gr SST, so it provides rapid expansion but still with enough sectional density and core weight to drive deep penetration and continued tissue destruction along the wound path.

What barrel length do you have?
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• sundowner
                Chieftain
                • Nov 2017

Congrats on the buck .

Comment

• Jake TN
                  Bloodstained
                  • Nov 2019

Nice buck. Congrats

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2013

But everybody knows you can't hunt with match bullets, LOL.

Nice report. Thanks for sharing.
                    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Timitus
                      Bloodstained
                      • Dec 2022

Nice hunt. The Grendel can do some amazing things for what it is.

Comment

• BL2551
                        Unwashed
                        • Oct 2023

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        Congrats on harvesting that buck.

123gr ELD-M is a bit softer than 123gr SST, so it provides rapid expansion but still with enough sectional density and core weight to drive deep penetration and continued tissue destruction along the wound path.

What barrel length do you have?
                        Mine is a 16" barrel. I knew that would be more than enough performance for the distances I would ever be presented with deer hunting here in MO. I was actually surprised I needed to take a 100 yard shot. I can't imagine any place I have or would hunt that could even possibly present me with a shot greater than 300 yds. But, I will eventually be taking it to a range where I can test out my target shooting range as well.

Comment

• BL2551
                          Unwashed
                          • Oct 2023

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                          But everybody knows you can't hunt with match bullets, LOL.

Nice report. Thanks for sharing.
                          Ha! of course you can't... but I saw enough anecdotal evidence to believe it was worth a try. What I've heard others say is now what I've seen with my own eyes. I know for sure if I go through ribs on a broadside shot I will destroy the lungs of any deer unfortunate enough to step in front it it. I do wonder with the ELD-m if I hit shoulder blade or other heavier bone, will it just explode and fail to penetrate or will it still get sufficient penetration to result in a fast ethical kill... that I don't yet know.

Comment

Working...
                          X