• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fshaw
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2023

Best Powders for Deer Loads

I've been a reloader for many years and realize that all rifles are individuals. That said, I have no experience with the Grendel. My main focus for this rifle is short range deer hunting and I'd hoping to get a load with the 129 ABLR that will be accurate. I'm building a 22' Howa Mini from one of the Brownell's barreled actions. I've seen on this site that some guys are using LeverEvolution in the Grendel but have seen no published data from any of the bullet makers that publish reloading manuals. I know that LVR is very close to CFE223 in burn rate, beyond extrapolation, is there any published data available?

Thanks for your help. I'm eager to start on this project.

Frank
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Fshaw View Post
    I've been a reloader for many years and realize that all rifles are individuals. That said, I have no experience with the Grendel. My main focus for this rifle is short range deer hunting and I'd hoping to get a load with the 129 ABLR that will be accurate. I'm building a 22' Howa Mini from one of the Brownell's barreled actions. I've seen on this site that some guys are using LeverEvolution in the Grendel but have seen no published data from any of the bullet makers that publish reloading manuals. I know that LVR is very close to CFE223 in burn rate, beyond extrapolation, is there any published data available?

Thanks for your help. I'm eager to start on this project.

Frank
    Frank:

Yes, there is published data. Hodgdon reloading data site.

LR-55

Comment

• Fshaw
      Unwashed
      • Nov 2023

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
      Frank:

Yes, there is published data. Hodgdon reloading data site.

LR-55
      Thank you.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 01-15-2024, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
          Warrior
          • Sep 2023

If you don't have the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks, I recommend them. Money better spent than a subscription.

One thing to remember, it seems that getting the proper data for the same length barrel, or the same twist, or the same powder, or primers, or...or...or...

To that point that one needs to use several references. The Hodgdon site is XLNT: https://hodgdonreloading.com/rldc/

The Barnes site also has some Grendel data: https://www.barnesbullets.com/wp-con....5-Grendel.pdf

The Hornady app/manual (pick your poison) has some good data for Grendel as well. They only charge $0.99 for each caliber. The only caliber I use that they do not list yet is the 8.6 blackout.

All of the above said, measure your loads with your own equipment using your own rifle to know for certain how much velocity the rounds have. Understanding pressure signs can help greatly.

KW
          From my cold dead endmill...

Comment

• kmon
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2015

H4895 is another good powder for hunting loads.

I do not see data for it on Hodgdon site but the custom search too can find some on here.
            Last edited by kmon; 01-19-2024, 01:56 PM.

Comment

• trubulator
              Warrior
              • Aug 2022

Originally posted by kmon View Post
              H4895 is another good powder for hunting loads.

I do not see data for it on Hodgdon site but the custom search too can find some on here.
              I use H4895 and 129 grain ABLRs in a hunting load. Fairly easy to find a good load and very terminally effective. H4895 is among the least temp sensitive powders if that matters to you.

Comment

Working...
              X