Clear All
  • 603Country
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2023

Toughest bullet in 90 to 100 gr size

• Lemonaid
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

When it comes to hogs/pigs, one name jumps to the top of the heap. Double Naught Spy.
    Take a look at his great videos for tons of good info.
    If I recall correctly, he has quite good results with the 90 TNT.

Comment

• 603Country
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2023

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

'What does "tough" mean to you. The Sierra 100 gr. HP is "tougher" than the TNT, what would that mean?

I am confused. You are talking about "tough" bullets and includinge v-max, tnt, etc. in the mix, none of which are tough at all.
        Kill a hog. Save the planet.
        My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Old Bob
          Warrior
          • Oct 2019

Would 100gr Nosler Partitions be considered a "tough" bullet? What about any of the all-copper monolithic bullets from Barnes & other manufacturers?
          I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
            Warrior
            • Sep 2023

I'm confused over tough also, but hope it's not like Tough Skin jeans that Sears sold...my mom tried to get me a pair of those once when I was a kid...she took those back quickly and bought me Levi 501s forever after...

Double Naught Spy maybe tougher means deader? Can you get deader than dead? Don't be so shy, the guy is asking about bullets that weigh in the range you like to shoot! So he got his nomenclature wrong, let's help set him straight and shooting a round he's confident in.
            From my cold dead endmill...

Comment

• 603Country
              Bloodstained
              • Mar 2023

I’m amazed that ‘tough’ is hard to understand. Let me simplify it for you guys. Tough, in this instance, is measured by how well it holds together in a critter, like a hog. Yes, a Nosler Partition would be considered tough. A V-Max would be considered less tough, and perhaps fragile. A tough bullet would penetrate a hog, and maybe exit. So, starting with a 95 gr V-Max as ‘least tough’, and the Partition and most tough, how tough is the 90 gr Speer? How tough and effective are the Lapua bullets. Given the option, I’d use 100 gr Nosler BTs only, if that were an option. What cup and core bullet gets me close to the BT?

What I want is a 90 to 100 gr bullet for max velocity in the Grendel, and I want the bullet to hold together in a hog. For deer, I use a 260, and don’t plan to change. Only need one bullet per deer. I have used the 95 gr V-Max on a few hogs, and it worked. Lately I’m using the 123 gr SST, and it works fine, though a bit slow. The sweet spot looks to be about 100 gr.

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
                Warrior
                • Sep 2023

603 Country You make a great case for using copper monolithic bullets.
                From my cold dead endmill...

Comment

• 603Country
                  Bloodstained
                  • Mar 2023

I have considered the copper monolithic bullets, but don’t have any on hand. And I’m concerned that at Grendel velocities, they may not open sufficiently. And, of course, they are expensive. The nice fellow that sold me the Grendel upper was a fan of the TTSX bullets. They aren’t cheap.

AlI need is for Nosler to make more 100 gr Ballistic Tips, but they probably won’t be cheap either. But, it checks all the boxes for what I want.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2013

You have repeatedly said toughest and you don't want it coming apart. The obvious choice is ball ammo. If you can find some non-expanding copper rounds in that size, that would be what I would pick first.
                    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• 603Country
                      Bloodstained
                      • Mar 2023

Whew! I should never asked the question here.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

The Cavity Back and Maker monoliths are something to consider. Great expansion and weight retention.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Koda
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jun 2023

Originally posted by 603Country View Post
                          I have considered the copper monolithic bullets, but don’t have any on hand. And I’m concerned that at Grendel velocities, they may not open sufficiently. And, of course, they are expensive. The nice fellow that sold me the Grendel upper was a fan of the TTSX bullets. They aren’t cheap.
                          Monolithics will be among your toughest and will expand at Grendel velocites. TTSX will open full mushroom and retain virtually all its weight and are known to penetrate deep. If you want best velocities try the 97gn Absolute Hammer, the Absolutes are designed to reduce barrel friction which increases velocities and will fully expand down to 1800fps impact velocity. The Hammer mushroom petals do fragment by design but the shank is designed to penetrate deep like a wadcutter.
                          Monos are about as expensive as traditional "toughest" cup and core bullets.

Comment

Working...
                          X