Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First blood to the Stevens 200

G'day fellas.

I went out pig hunting last Saturday, with a mate who has never killed a pig.
    We hunted on a 1200 acre property, just west of the Great Dividing Range and about an hours drive from home.

Our guide drove us to the base of a steep and rocky hill, where we climbed to the summit, so that we could come down on the game, which would be sheltering from the strong cold wind that was blowing.

We were hunting for pigs exclusively and of course, saw plenty of goats, some of them at only 3m.
    About halfway down the back of the hill, our guide saw a black pig, feeding on the lush grass of a boulder dotted slope.
    It was to be my mate's turn first, so he proceeded to stalk the pig. I followed and got into a position where I could overlook the stalk and back him up if there were any more of them.
    As Jeff carefully stalked the boar, using a large boulder as cover, the pig was feeding slowly down and across in the opposite direction.
    I had a good rest, over a boulder and suddenly the boar lifted its head and looked behind. Jeff's old 303 spoke and the pig seemed to lurch and take a couple of steps. I waited for the second shot, but then the pig looked like it would take off, so I sent a shot into it's ribs behind the left shoulder blade. The boar went down squealing and kicking.
    We went down to congratulate Jeff, only to find that he'd missed and the boar was mine.
    Turns out Jeff had had a very difficult shot from over a boulder at only a small part of the pigs bum.

The shot, from my Grendel, passed right through, leaving a 1" exit hole.

We walked back to the vehicle and drove to another section, spotting two more groups of pig.
    Drove up to the fence line, intending to stalk one of the groups, across the hill.
    While I was getting my gear ready, I told Jeff to have a look in the small gully just in front of us. He quickly signalled that there were pigs in there and proceeded to bag his first two pigs. One a spotted sow and one of it's suckers.

After the photos and congratulations and we were driving towards another gully, when Jeff, who was up in the back of the ute, banged on the roof and then jumped out and shot another boar. He was exited!!

It was near dark, so we headed back to our vehicle and went ahead of the guide, just in case more pigs were seen.
    I was opening one of the gates, when Jeff tuned his SUV off. I turned around to ask what he was doing, only to see him aiming his rifle over the roof at a large black pig in the next paddock, about 40 yds away.
    He fired and hit it, then again and then drove through the gateway and over to finish it off in the light of the headlamps.

It turned out to be the biggest boar of the afternoon and we were both stoked.
    I was really pleased to have helped him get his first pigs.

Comment

nice! keep up the good work.

Comment

Excellent hunting story from down under!

What bullet/load did you use?

Scope details and magnification you were on?

Comment

Great story and pics! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Looks like that ol 303 got a good workout and the Grendel did it's part, nice hunting. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              Excellent hunting story from down under!

What bullet/load did you use?

Scope details and magnification you were on?
              Thanks mate.
              Load was 28g of ADI 2208 ( Varget ) x 120g Speer hot core SP and CCI BR4 primer.
              Scope is a 6x42 Meopta. Range was approx 75yds down hill.

Comment

Originally posted by Whelenon View Post
                Looks like that ol 303 got a good workout and the Grendel did it's part, nice hunting. Thanks for sharing.
                You are welcome
                There are still a lot of 303 fans here, same as there would be a lot of 30-06 fans in your country and both of these old cartridges, still get the job done, with little fuss.

Comment

• Von Gruff
                  Chieftain
                  • Apr 2012

Originally posted by AFRO408 View Post
                  Thanks mate.
                  Load was 28g of ADI 2208 ( Varget ) x 120g Speer hot core SP and CCI BR4 primer.
                  Scope is a 6x42 Meopta. Range was approx 75yds down hill.
                  Have you run that load over the chrono Tony? I have run a few loads through QL (Hat tip Eljefe) albeit for my intended GM and thought it a bit slow compared to the likes of BL-C2.
                  Obviously it worked and worked well for a first blood with a drt for a one shot kill. Always nice to get that first one done the way it should be.
                  http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
                  Acts 4:10-12

Comment

Originally posted by Von Gruff View Post
                    Have you run that load over the chrono Tony? I have run a few loads through QL (Hat tip Eljefe) albeit for my intended GM and thought it a bit slow compared to the likes of BL-C2.
                    Obviously it worked and worked well for a first blood with a drt for a one shot kill. Always nice to get that first one done the way it should be.
                    Yes it is good to get a positive result first up. What is a 'drt'?
                    No I haven't chronied it mate. I have since done some testing and found that there is not enough room in the case, to use 2208, behind a 120g pill. It works well with a 140 though.
                    I got up to 25.5g of 2207, before the extraction was sticky and have loaded up some with 24g of 2207 to try.

Comment

• Von Gruff
                      Chieftain
                      • Apr 2012

DRT = dead right there. I ran the data with 2207 as well and found the same levels as you have should work with the 120gn class of bulet. Have 2207, 2208 and BL-C2 in the possibly suitable burn range on hand but from what I see it is only the BL-C2 that is really in the game.
                      Last edited by Von Gruff; 08-23-2012, 01:57 AM.
                      http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
                      Acts 4:10-12

Comment

Originally posted by Von Gruff View Post
                        DRT = dead right there. I ran the data with 2207 as well and found the same levels as you have should work with the 120gn class of bulet. Have 2207, 2208 and BL-C2 in the possibly suitable burn range on hand but from what I see it is only the BL-C2 that is really in the game.
                        Haha. Makes sense
                        I'll probably stick with the 2207, as I have three other rifles which use it and it's cheaper than the BM powders.

Comment

Not sure how it chronographs, but it porkographed pretty dang spiffy if you ask me, with a pass-through and evidence of expansion for the pill. Stokes makes a good point that moderate velocities seem to get the job done best, without blowing the projectile apart on bone or thick hide upon impact-a common thing for us Yanks who often have a habit of leaning to the "Faster is better, so lets go faster than the next guy!" until we have .22-250 velocities with larger-bore blasters pushing 120-150gr pills at insane speeds.

It's why I love the 6.5x55 Swede so much, and that cartridge has taken a wide range of game for over a century without issue, while we were chasing the velocity threshold with the .30-'06 necked down and magnum cases since the early 1900's.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                            Not sure how it chronographs, but it porkographed pretty dang spiffy if you ask me, with a pass-through and evidence of expansion for the pill. Stokes makes a good point that moderate velocities seem to get the job done best, without blowing the projectile apart on bone or thick hide upon impact-a common thing for us Yanks who often have a habit of leaning to the "Faster is better, so lets go faster than the next guy!" until we have .22-250 velocities with larger-bore blasters pushing 120-150gr pills at insane speeds.

It's why I love the 6.5x55 Swede so much, and that cartridge has taken a wide range of game for over a century without issue, while we were chasing the velocity threshold with the .30-'06 necked down and magnum cases since the early 1900's.
                            Exactly! The cup and core bullets are just not strong enough for the high speeds. My 7x57 shoots a 154g Win SP, at about 2400 and every shot on pig is a bang flop, one shot kill. I tried the much vaunted Barnes XXX and they just penciled through and it took three shots to bring a pig down, even though the first was right in the chest. I was very disappointed with that performance.

Comment

Originally posted by AFRO408 View Post
                              Exactly! The cup and core bullets are just not strong enough for the high speeds. My 7x57 shoots a 154g Win SP, at about 2400 and every shot on pig is a bang flop, one shot kill. I tried the much vaunted Barnes XXX and they just penciled through and it took three shots to bring a pig down, even though the first was right in the chest. I was very disappointed with that performance.
                              Great job,Tony.
                              I have some 7mm cast boolits (thanks VG !) over 22gr of 2205, run something like 1900fps.Out of the Zastava M70( you flashed up) an inch and a half at 90m over my battered rucksack and a rolled up towel.Right up there with the best. I will always be a fan of the 6.5, in its many avatars, and its gratifying to see the performance of the bolt Grendel. Will look forward to some load development for the 120 and 140 grainers.Me? I like my boolits heavy...

Comment

Working...
                              X